COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
You must remember what April and May were like? People dying in their thousands and the NHS at breaking point. These lockdowns aren't being advised on the basis that we will continue at 8-20 deaths a day. They are being advised on the basis that we're seeing an exponential growth in cases and Chris Whitty believes our hospitals could be overwhelmed again in a few weeks like they were the last time we didn't lock down soon enough.

I don't want another lockdown, but the government haven't used their time or resources very well in helping us to avoid one. They're still encouraging needless activity, have failed to implement test and trace effectively and have allowed the testing system to collapse. These things had to happen alongside us reopening schools and the hospitality sector. Very much doubt they'll get public buy in for any further lockdowns now anyway given their messaging has shown itself to be highly inconsistent and hypocritical at times. They will of course encourage us to blame eachother when that happens though. Blame the young, blame ethnic minorities, blame anyone except them.

Yes I do, fucking awful. That was when we didn't know anything about the virus and what was going to happen. We now have different treatments available for those who get ill and also know it doesn't kill 3% of those who get it, which was what was touted around when we locked down.

You are totally right about the blame culture. Even on here everyone blames 'the young' without a second thought. It's clear that society is hanging together by a thread and the police encouraging people to shop their neighbours and constant blame is making things worse. Another lockdown will tip things over the edge.

Exactly once it's escalated it takes another 4/5 weeks to start to get under control.

Personally I don't know what the answer is but the infrastructure that hasn't been properly put in while we had time over the summer is going to bite us all in the arse over winter.

The government had loads of time to put things in place ahead of winter, they've had 6 months for fucks sake. And now its getting toward October and shit looks like it's about to hit the fan and oh guess what 'we've run out of tests'.

This is going to be a long long winter.

The government had loads of time to put things in place ahead of winter, they've had 6 months for fucks sake. And now its getting toward October and shit looks like it's about to hit the fan and oh guess what 'we've run out of tests'.

Sadly it is going to be a bad one.

Without getting too political on the non-political CV thread I'm not convinced any party would have done much different.

Even so our softish lockdown compared to say Italy/Spains stricter one in retrospect hasn't had any more of a negative outcome, Spain in particular admittedly a few weeks ahead of us has spiralling deaths, I feel sure from the stat posts on here we're heading that way.

Lock downs don't work that is obvious in terms of flattening the curve for too long it just kicks the can down the road.
That's clearly bollocks. Lockdown did work because the numbers fell dramatically. Its only after we started to slacken off the control measures and idiots took that as a signal that they could ignore any kind of distancing an self protection

Yes I do, fucking awful. That was when we didn't know anything about the virus and what was going to happen. We now have different treatments available for those who get ill and also know it doesn't kill 3% of those who get it, which was what was touted around when we locked down.

You are totally right about the blame culture. Even on here everyone blames 'the young' without a second thought. It's clear that society is hanging together by a thread and the police encouraging people to shop their neighbours and constant blame is making things worse. Another lockdown will tip things over the edge.
I don't believe that its entirely the young but there is a difference. There are older people, lets say 50 and above who just cannot make the connection between what they are doing at any one time and how much of a risk that action is taking. That's just down to a lack of joined up thinking. Younger people are taking conscious decisions to ignore the safety measures required because either they don't believe it will affect them, cannot be arsed or simply rebelling against being told what to do. An example of both can regularly be seen on public transport under the 'get out' clause that if you have a medical problem you don't have to use a mask. This is stupid, if your respiratory system is so weak that you cannot wear a mask sitting down doing sod all you should not be taking any exposure risks on public transport, there are faster ways of killing yourself.

No I would be gutted, but everyone dies at some point it's not exclusive to covid. Everyone has become that obsessed with this thing that all perspective has gone. It's nowhere near the biggest killer in the country at the moment. If it starts to escalate out of control then yes take more measures, but it's clearly not out of control.
If it starts to escalate to the point of being out of control, it is too late to think about taking measures.

The first wave, the Government were slow to react what was seen to be coming and rightly slated for it. If they want to be proactive and maybe, over zealous with the signs now, fair play to them.

If it starts to escalate to the point of being out of control, it is too late to think about taking measures.

The first wave, the Government were slow to react what was seen to be coming and rightly slated for it. If they want to be proactive and maybe, over zealous with the signs now, fair play to them.

I get that and do agree with you. But the playing field is nowhere near the same as in March now. Large gatherings are already banned, most people are working from home, everyone has to wear a mask, awareness is on a different level, no groups of more than 6 etc etc. I don't think we can put any more restrictions in place that are already in without causing a lot more damage than what the virus can.

It's a shite situation and no one wants either option I'm sure.

i agree, the testing fiasco been a shambolic performance by Johnsons government. I cant see how anyone can think differently. they knew this was coming they have been telling us for months. All we get is empty soundbites, world class this and that. tbh i am astonished they have failed to implement something clearly so important and fundemental for the health of our people and the economy of our country. its unforgiveable imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.