COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by urban genie, 25 Jan 2020.

1. bigstanhibbert

bigstanhibbert

Team supported:
    MCFC
  2. chaddblue

chaddblue

Facebook is nothing compared to twitter.... Twitter just represents everything that is wrong with the world today. I've not been on it for about 4 weeks and I feel so much better

3. Claytop

Claytop

Couple of graphs showing how you can show numbers differently. Yesterday’s data

FT one is since 10 deaths

[​IMG]

Opros one is from 50 deaths

[​IMG]

As you can see we’re tracking below the main European countries that have been hit hardest so far using the bottom one whereas we’re in front of Italy in the top one.

ADVERTISEMENT

4. Blue Maverick

Blue Maverick

I’ve come off social media and it’s a blessing, I pop on twitter now and then for some funny video someone would have tagged me in and that’s it, last night a great example of why I came off, City give their stadium up and Mark Ogden makes a snide remark then everyone jumps in saying emptihad etc, it’s just shite. Some of the videos are funny but you end up seeing them in WhatsApp or Instagram.

5. Chippy_boy

Chippy_boy

Could do with a bit of "Life on Mars" Philip Glenister style policing IMO. Invite them back to the station for an er "interview".

i8rags and Blue Hefner like this.
  6. Vic

Vic

It is yesterday.

https://www.indiatoday.in/mail-toda...-is-breaching-the-lockdown-1660835-2020-03-29

I'd hate to work on the maths but given the circumstances - workers being turfed out of accommodation in cities and needing food - you'd have to calculate that they can (if they are not as stupid as our Friday night revellers and people heading for second homes) isolate more easily in villages. Whether the politicians putting on the buses have made that calculation I know not, but I'm guessing that at this stage any outbreak may be more containable in villages than staying put. It's a guess.

7. karen7

karen7

I thought we doing 5pm -5pm figures?

8. Marvin

Marvin

The German government has switched strategy. The German media report they have seen a confidential strategy paper from Germany's Interior Ministry entitled "How to Get Covid-19 Under Control" which emphasises that the most important measure slowing the speed of the coronavirus is "testing and isolating infected people". South Korea did this without a general curfew strategy.

We're struggling to do 7,000 tests a day, whereas the German government wants to ramp their testing up towards 500,000 tests a week. I think at the moment the Germans are using nose swabs and PCR

Unless there's some shortage of supply, or question over quality the news about 5 minutes virus tests could change the way the epidemic is dealt with https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/27/us/15-minute-coronavirus-test/index.html.

Korea targeted their testing forensically at known positives. If you combined a 5 minute test with a forensic approach to where the clusters are and who has had it, it could be dealt with quicker saving lives.

The UK government have taken on Boots, and research institutions to do lengthy tests for health workers well why not scrap it, use the fast kits and put the research institutions in charge of testing clusters?

Luddite_Blue likes this.
  9. Vic

Vic

Relative volunteers for Samaritans, and (doesn't usually talk about the calls) says the last session had people calling whose usual support systems (mental health etc) are already crumbling.

10. city saint

city saint

ive just been out on a call and there are still lots of cars buzzing about.where are they all going and why