COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats such a childish attitude to be honest.

Whether you think it's childish or not is irrelevant. It's how humans react when things like this happen. It's why the advice of behavioural scientists is so important at times like this. The goverment has to take action and communicate it in such a way that it gets buy in from people and protects as many lives as possible. They have ignored that advice and they are therefore failing to protect people.

As long as you accept the consequences and don't blame everyone else when you infect someone dear to you.

I will maintain to social distance myself from others, as i have done so throughout this pandemic. The government has no authority left however, and people will do what ever they see fit going forward.

Personally that's not the attitude I've taken. Maybe related to intelligence and ability to think logically/with empathy.

It's not the attitude I've taken either. But it's the attitude many others have and it's something that was foreseen and warned against. If it makes you feel happy to simply be smug about how much cleverer you are than others then fine, but that doesn't protect vulnerable people from the actions of those less empathic or intelligent than you. It doesn't protect the essential workers who don't get a choice whether or not they stay home to keep themselves safe from the behaviour of those that have decided lockdown is over. The government was advised on how to keep people on message but it decided saving Dominic Cummings was more important.

No. There are many who get it but don't ot barely develop symptoms. They aren't covered in that survey. It they didn't or barely got ill it would suggest that Covid-19 specific B & T lymphocytes didn't have to be produced to beat the virus.
I’m amazed we’re not testing to find asymptomatic individuals and then testing them again a few weeks later to see if they’ve developed antibodies. If they are not showing up in antibody testing surveys our estimates of the spread of the virus are out by a massive factor.

I’m amazed we’re not testing to find asymptomatic individuals and then testing them again a few weeks later to see if they’ve developed antibodies. If they are not showing up in antibody testing surveys our estimates of the spread of the virus are out by a massive factor.

Are you really amazed we're not doing that though? Has been clear for some time now that the testing structure wasn't being grown in an effective or scalable way. It was being grown to hit a numbers target rather than serve a purpose. When they were emailing conservative party members weeks ago offering tests out willy nilly it was plain to see it was more about big numbers than a clever strategy.

If it makes you feel happy to simply be smug about how much cleverer you are than others then fine, but that doesn't protect vulnerable people from the actions of those less empathic or intelligent than you.

It's more the fact I felt the need to clarify, as you make a blanket claim of 'it's how humans react'. It's how some might react, not all of us.

Some of us do actually have empathy and care for others.

It's more the fact I felt the need to clarify, as you make a blanket claim of 'it's how humans react'. It's how some might react, not all of us.

Some of us do actually have empathy and care for others.

Well I didn't say "all humans" anyway, so I'm not sure why you took it so personally. But as far as behavioural science goes, you have to look at the bigger picture and how humans behave on the whole when managing a response to these things. Saying "well those people who choose to act that way are just selfish" doesn't comfort me one bit. Patterns of behaviour are predictable and can be managed. The government has been given advice on how to manage behaviour which in turn will save lives. They trashed that advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.