COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by urban genie, 25 Jan 2020.

1. mexico1970

mexico1970

Team supported:
    Manchester City
    I hope you enjoyed your golf bud and you have many rounds of golf with your mate real soon. But on this subject the scientists don't seem to have a clue and the term "There's an app for that" doesn't cut the mustard where this virus is concerned.

Everything is politically charged now and it clouds the water, we could have done better but the Tories would have been slated whatever they did, as would have Labour if they were in power.

blue b4 the moon likes this.
  2. BlueAnorak

BlueAnorak

For what it's worth, I agree. I could possibly believe 30%, but 70%? No. Other surveys will confirm one way or the other there are a lot appearing at the moment.
    You actually don't need testing for track and trace to work as proven in Taiwan.
    Testing helps massively of course, but it isn't 100% necessary.

3. twosips

twosips

ADVERTISEMENT

4. True_Blue69

True_Blue69

79 people infected and they shut schools, we are still at over 2,000 a day and are opening them! Puts what we are doing into perspective a little.

5. twosips

twosips

How important is the 'type' of outside though. My parents garden for example, surrounded by tall trees/fences etc. It feels 'still'. It's hardly blustery. Where can that virus go other than towards the person you're talking to? Is it really *that* much safer? If you're sat a metre away from someone, which is barely anything, and talking at them solidly for a while, is the fact that you're sat in a garden really gonna make any difference? I don't quite get it. Does the coronavirus just suddenly disperse in every direction when you're outside? I'm honestly curious and not trying to be awkward or anything. I just don't quite get it.

quiet_riot likes this.
  6. Rammy Blue

Rammy Blue

Just for a bit of balance, they don’t think opening the schools caused the spike, they are attributing it to a distribution centre for an e-commerce company. Closing the schools is a precautionary step.

unicorn likes this.
  7. hgblue

hgblue

70% makes perfect sense to me. Ask yourself why the spread of this virus was never exponential and reached it’s peak a week before lockdown. Ask yourself why the average age of a Coronavirus death is 80 and with significant co-morbidities, and the percentage of healthy under 50s dying from this is tiny. The answer is obvious but people don’t want to hear it yet.

8. Cityfan

Cityfan

No one actually knows the accuracy of PCR testing as there is no gold standard.
    But it is thought to have a specificity of close to 100%
    The sensitivity is probably a fair bit less and will depend partly on who is conducting the test.

9. BlueAnorak

BlueAnorak

Incidently, having re-read the article again, I think they are refering to the fact that 70% of infected people aren't showing symptoms AT THE TIME of testing. Poor English on the authors part , but something I am more readily able to believe - after all the average time to show symptoms after infection is 5.1 days

10. Gabriel

Gabriel

Tim of the Oak likes this.