COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is something afoot otherwise we would still be riddled with it. In those areas where there was virtually no notice taken of lock down which were both hardest and earliest hit such as London and the Midlands it seems it is still falling away.

Those Italian doctors saying the virus still present over there is nothing like the virus that was present a couple of months back.

Logically combining the half arsed lock down, the from start to finish clusterfuck this country has made of it we should now be into 1000s a day dying, but we are not.

The reasons will all come later but for now I am just grateful that it hasnt been anywhere as bad as many feared, scant consolation for those who have suffered or lost loved ones, but as one who as yet has been pretty much untouched by this albeit having to postpone a couple of trips and a season of airshows.

There is I suspect much much more to come out in the wash regarding covid and I wonder if the consequences of the pandemic will actually be worse than the pandemic itself.

I think the world will come out of it much more divided and certainly our country will be.

The Country was pretty much together until Cummingsgate (compared to the divisions that existed since Brexit). Most people were giving the Government the benefit of the doubt even though it was apparent that our response was inferior to most Countries.

Agree with this. I just switched Sky News on and what's going on is just farcical. How do we justify keeping schools and businesses shut and restricting everyone's movements when we allow something like this to go ahead? What's even more ridiculous is i'm seeing people on social media who were advocates of a lockdown also in attendance.

iA7CrJ0.jpg

#nofuckerslifematter @stupidity.com

The Country was pretty much together until Cummingsgate (compared to the divisions that existed since Brexit). Most people were giving the Government the benefit of the doubt even though it was apparent that our response was inferior to most Countries.

I for one like you say were prepared to give the government the benefit of the doubt agreed. It was never going to last long though was it. Even without the Cummings Issue in due course the fuck ups would have and will be revealed and thats when it will all start to kick off. If there is a second wave of this apart from the obvious consequences I think there will be a state of internal "cold war" in this country with at long last the majority finally realising that there simply is not a credible government available in this country.

There is something afoot otherwise we would still be riddled with it. In those areas where there was virtually no notice taken of lock down which were both hardest and earliest hit such as London and the Midlands it seems it is still falling away.

Those Italian doctors saying the virus still present over there is nothing like the virus that was present a couple of months back.

Logically combining the half arsed lock down, the from start to finish clusterfuck this country has made of it we should now be into 1000s a day dying, but we are not.

The reasons will all come later but for now I am just grateful that it hasnt been anywhere as bad as many feared, scant consolation for those who have suffered or lost loved ones, but as one who as yet has been pretty much untouched by this albeit having to postpone a couple of trips and a season of airshows.

There is I suspect much much more to come out in the wash regarding covid and I wonder if the consequences of the pandemic will actually be worse than the pandemic itself.

I think the world will come out of it much more divided and certainly our country will be.

While yes, it is possible that the virus could have changed or whatever, I think it's quite easy to underestimate just how much things have changed in this country. It doesn't feel like much, does it? I think that's because we adapt to change so quickly. But I was saying this to a friend and he raised some really good points about how pretty much everyone's behaviour has changed, be it via lockdown force, or by habit, and he was right. Think of all the following factors:

- vast majority of people aren't in offices, or even indoors. I can't remember the last time I saw someone indoors that i cared about that I didn't live with, and I reckon that's the same for 90%+ of the country.
- people are washing their hands more (likely even the dickheads)
- people aren't in clubs or at gigs, others aren't at pubs - both superspreader events
- people aren't meeting in their tens of thousands every single weekend for sports events
- people aren't hanging round coffee shops, no restaurants, no cinema, no theatres
- no hairdressers, nail salons etc
- most supermarkets have social distancing measures - some have great ones, some may only have a few, but its still enough to warrant a change.
- people don't spend ages trying on shops in clothes that others have tried on anymore and largely don't spend any time on the high street at all
- vast majority of people are keeping their distance
- when we go back to work, and many have, most work places will change to eliminate some risk factors
- most people aren't seeing loved ones or friends, and if they are, its from a distance outdoors
- deliveries have changed from places such as royal mail, dpd, deliveroo etc
- people aren't really using public transport anymore
- some people are now wearing masks, not many, but when added with all that ^^^ it makes a difference
- people aren't going to churches etc.

These are just the things off the top of my head. There's no doubt countless more micro-changes that are adding to the overall effect. I know it doesn't feel like life is much different, but it really, really is. Even the dickheads are living life differently, even if its not by choice - i.e, they can't go out and get hammered with hundreds of people every night. All those things have drastically reduced transmission and changed how we live. A few dickheads having a street party outside may slightly slow these things, yes, but they pale in insignificance when up against the weight of all those changes. While I pray and hope things have started to get better because the virus has changed, I think its also worth remaining cautious and presume that the actions we've been taking actually have slowed down it down. 'Stay alert' etc ha.

As a side note, I think the chance of a second wave as big as the first is very, very small, as a lot of people and businesses are very different now and will be for some time. Add in the fact that this virus has already hit a lot of people too, so there's less people for it to spread into, and I think we should be able to manage it quite well...hopefully.

Last edited:
I for one like you say were prepared to give the government the benefit of the doubt agreed. It was never going to last long though was it. Even without the Cummings Issue in due course the fuck ups would have and will be revealed and thats when it will all start to kick off. If there is a second wave of this apart from the obvious consequences I think there will be a state of internal "cold war" in this country with at long last the majority finally realising that there simply is not a credible government available in this country.

Yes, I agree that the growing list of mistakes were going to undermine unity and we are lucky that the peole turned to mocking the Government (and its advisors) rather than unrest on the streets.i think most people were prepared to accept some mistakes with the virus being new but the recklessness went too far. Maybe the turn in the weather has come at the right time to reduce the risk of trouble on the streets / more mass gatherings.

It's been broken for 3 weeks+ now judging by the youth I see gathered in place that I walk past on a daily basis.

they should certainly make the lack of peer review more obvious though. Although when Dr Campbell did a vid about it he did point out it wasn't peer reviewed. but looking at the article I cant see how to tell. the New England Journal of Medicine fell for it too so it must have been credible
Usually you'd see a mention in the article header if it was awaiting peer review. The Lancet article referred to - assuming it's the one below - looks to have been peer reviewed and accepted for publication.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31180-6/fulltext

The dataset used in that article is from tens of thousands of patients and I doubt very much that any peer review would be checking the integrity of the data for every single patient.

Usually you'd see a mention in the article header if it was awaiting peer review. The Lancet article referred to - assuming it's the one below - looks to have been peer reviewed and accepted for publication.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31180-6/fulltext

The dataset used in that article is from tens of thousands of patients and I doubt very much that any peer review would be checking the integrity of the data for every single patient.

when I checked a different article on the lancet there were comments about the peer review so thought this one may have had the same.

but as you say. peer reviewing an article vs peer reviewing the data sources seems to be a different thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.