COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are 100x better prepared for a ‘second wave’ than we was at the start of this pandemic, although inevitably there will be spikes here and there and Karen will remind us daily of the damage this virus does to the lungs and organs but overall they have judged this right and given pubs and businesses a chance of survival - they deserve our support and I’ll be having a few beers with my pals to celebrate my newborn.

I have to agree. I think it would help if they said go and get tested if you get the track and trace text. I would be ok self isolating for a few days awaiting the results. 14 days "just in case", which could be repeated if you come into contact with more positive people isn't an option for some people.
I'm hoping if there is any rise it is brief and small.
We have half a chance of the economy recovering quickly if it is.

it is likely that the virus has been transferred between care homes by agency workers. Routine testing of care staff is only happening now in England when it should have happened months ago.
What about visitors?

No risk assessment for CV 19 so no method statement to minimise the risk.

This sin of omission continues to cause death and has been a known cause since before lockdown when hotels for able bodied paying guests were closed.
This correctly eliminated risk as a preferred alternative to managing the risk. If hotels for the old and vulnerable are kept open the risk must be managed. Why was this not done?

What about visitors?

No risk assessment for CV 19 so no method statement to minimise the risk.

This sin of omission continues to cause death and has been a known cause since before lockdown when hotels for able bodied paying guests were closed.
This correctly eliminated risk as a preferred alternative to managing the risk. If hotels for the old and vulnerable are kept open the risk must be managed. Why was this not done?

The issue being discussed was why is the virus Still so deadly in care homes and one thing the evidence shows is that care homes who have used more agency workers tend to have more deaths. There is probably a range of contributory factors (That might include visitors) but the use of agency workers appears to be one where there is evidence to support the claim.

The issue being discussed was why is the virus Still so deadly in care homes and one thing the evidence shows is that care homes who have used more agency workers tend to have more deaths. There is probably a range of contributory factors (That might include visitors) but the use of agency workers appears to be one where there is evidence to support the claim.
The issue I hoped to point out was that if a risk assessment had been done originally all possible potential areas of infection would have been looked at including the one you are discussing.

We are 100x better prepared for a ‘second wave’ than we was at the start of this pandemic, although inevitably there will be spikes here and there and Karen will remind us daily of the damage this virus does to the lungs and organs but overall they have judged this right and given pubs and businesses a chance of survival - they deserve our support and I’ll be having a few beers with my pals to celebrate my newborn.
Hear hear.

Well today's the day.
While i think there are too many doom mongers in this thread (and the fact that they were wrong with their predictions of a big spike when restrictions were lifted last month), i think this time there will be a trend reversal.

I understand the need to get the economy going, so some risks have to be taken. I just believe that pubs will be a breeding ground.
They are normally full of the less fit/aged members of society to start with, so i see a rise in hospital admissions quite quickly.

I for one won't be going out for a drink. Not that i'm worried about catching Covid19, more due to the track and trace aftermath.
I run my own business, and having to self isolate for 14 days "just in case" because some drunken sod couldn't control/distance him/herself after a few drinks.

Good luck to anybody chancing it, but it's a part of my life i can more than live without...at least for the time being.
I agree with you to a large degree.
We need to open up as a mega recession with kill many more than 65,000.
But I do have concerns. Customers and employees should be wearing face masks in shops for example.
I guess it depends how good track and trace is as to how we go from here. If it is good enough then outbreaks will be stopped in their tracks. If not they won't and local lockdowns will be required.

Last edited:
The sad reality is this virus mostly kills the unfit and unwell. And has impacts on but does not kill the younger and fitter.

Unless and until we get a vaccine that works life will be about balancing the number who catch it and survive and the ones who do not. Because the economy can only stretch so far in a long term pandemic.

So the most vulnerable have to be protected long term. Possibly at least for another year. But the younger fitter (who can self identify as being this at their own risk) can be allowed out there to expose themselves to the virus if they choose to do so. In hope most will survive and build some level of immunity.

It is a delicate balancing act and depends to a degree on the selfish at least caring to some degree about protecting the vulnerable in their own family or friends. And the state doing what it can to stop those who would be most vulnerable and might overwhelm the NHS in a second wave from coming into contact with the virus.

Most in that situation understand and will take extra care regardless of government edicts. That will help. The risk takers will go out. The ones most at risk will probably largely stay in.

Think 'super saturday' might be a fizzle out to be honest. Went for a run in East London and nearly every pub was empty bar one or two tables.

Just don't think the majority are that bothered....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.