COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
The sad reality is this virus mostly kills the unfit and unwell. And has impacts on but does not kill the younger and fitter.

Unless and until we get a vaccine that works life will be about balancing the number who catch it and survive and the ones who do not. Because the economy can only stretch so far in a long term pandemic.

So the most vulnerable have to be protected long term. Possibly at least for another year. But the younger fitter (who can self identify as being this at their own risk) can be allowed out there to expose themselves to the virus if they choose to do so. In hope most will survive and build some level of immunity.

It is a delicate balancing act and depends to a degree on the selfish at least caring to some degree about protecting the vulnerable in their own family or friends. And the state doing what it can to stop those who would be most vulnerable and might overwhelm the NHS in a second wave from coming into contact with the virus.

Most in that situation understand and will take extra care regardless of government edicts. That will help.
Perhaps those who can will think twice about a care home for their elderly parents.

The problem with care homes is the ability to protect all from a single lapse from a single event spreading.
Until we have confidence in measures taken I would be reluctant to let any of my old and vulnerable folk see a care home as an option.

Think 'super saturday' might be a fizzle out to be honest. Went for a run in East London and nearly every pub was empty bar one or two tables.

Just don't think the majority are that bothered....

Pubs opened near me about 3 or 4 weeks ago, the first time I went out I just sat there thinking drinking would be cheaper at home, and with the distancing ( which was very good ) pubs didn't have the same vibe about them

Looks like all the Facebook outrage at Wetherspoons for shafting its staff at the beginning of lockdown has calmed down. Just drove past the local spoons and its packed inside and out. All the fat birds out in their shiny shagging dresses like its 10 at night rather than lunchtime - if you are a young bloke, and not fussy it'll be like shooting fish in a barrel.

Looks like all the Facebook outrage at Wetherspoons for shafting its staff at the beginning of lockdown has calmed down. Just drove past the local spoons and its packed inside and out. All the fat birds out in their shiny shagging dresses like its 10 at night rather than lunchtime - if you are a young bloke, and not fussy it'll be like shooting fish in a barrel.
So where should we expect the next local lockdown? ;-)

The sad reality is this virus mostly kills the unfit and unwell. And has impacts on but does not kill the younger and fitter.

Unless and until we get a vaccine that works life will be about balancing the number who catch it and survive and the ones who do not. Because the economy can only stretch so far in a long term pandemic.

So the most vulnerable have to be protected long term. Possibly at least for another year. But the younger fitter (who can self identify as being this at their own risk) can be allowed out there to expose themselves to the virus if they choose to do so. In hope most will survive and build some level of immunity.

It is a delicate balancing act and depends to a degree on the selfish at least caring to some degree about protecting the vulnerable in their own family or friends. And the state doing what it can to stop those who would be most vulnerable and might overwhelm the NHS in a second wave from coming into contact with the virus.

Most in that situation understand and will take extra care regardless of government edicts. That will help. The risk takers will go out. The ones most at risk will probably largely stay in.

Good post - was thinking, would it have been more sensible to not allow anyone over 70
In pubs at the moment, harsh I know.

So where should we expect the next local lockdown? ;-)
I think it will be a national one. Also, I stongly suspect the wheels will come off when the usual seasonal coughs and colds start in the Autumn - one person in a family shows any symptoms and even if its just a cold they will isolate for a week and the rest of the household for 14 days.

England hospital deaths 39 with another 2 from yesterday and 11 from NW.

Last week it was 78 with 10 from Friday and 27 from the NW.

Exactly 50% down in a week.

That 2 from the previous day is the third time in the last 4 days it has been that low.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.