COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wales has recorded 3 new deaths but just 7 new cases, Last week was 3 deaths and 21 cases.

So without N. Ireland the UK hospital deaths total today is 40. It was 43 last Tuesday. So at least it is probably lower. Just.

Also only 9 cases from the two countries to have reported so far. That is potentially more significant given these are not weekend figures.

A good post mate, and I don't necessarily disagree with any of it. However, I don't see myself as someone who only posts the negative views or only listens to or reads the negative stories out there. I've got a fairly open mind on the subject too and hold an interest and a hope in the news regarding T cells and all the rest of it.

In saying all of that, and taking into account your post, I still cannot imagine that the difference in infection rates between the UK and Australia are so so vast that it's plausible for Melbourne or Israel to have another major peak and for us to be able to pretty much brush it off. I can't read that news today and think anything other than us following in the same footsteps soon, whether that's the country as a whole or manchester, Glasgow, Scotland, Birmingham in isolation or wherever else.

If suggesting that Melbourne and Israel are only going through this because of their lack of infections in the first place and at the same time admitting that we were hit hard in that regard, then would you also consider opening up completely and getting football fans, gigs, everyone packed into the tube etc at this stage? I know I wouldn't.

Yeah, I don't think you're that person either. Sorry if I didn't make that clear enough. I'll presume i've very similar to you on that front. Tbh, today I'm feeling quite defiant on it all, but others day a little more negative. Just depends on the mood really!

Fwiw, I don't think we'll brush it off, but I do think the likelihood of us having a second spike as big as the first one is not huge. And likewise, I think the likelihood of some of our major cities being hit as badly as Melbourne could be potentially is not quite as great. I could be wrong of course, but I can totally imagine the UK has been hit much worse than Australia or Israel given the density of this country, London in particular, and given our proximity to some of the world's worst hit countries (Spain, Italy etc). Travel between the UK and other European countries is plentiful as we all know. Tens of thousands of people aren't jumping on £50 flights to Australia every day from all over Europe for example. Football crowds as super-spreader events, with thousands travelling from over borders. I think we were prime to be hit awfully, and handled it terribly. Hence a shit load of infection. Reckon it was notably easier for Australia to handle it for lots of reasons.

And no, I'd not be getting fans back into stadiums etc. Seems far too early and naive to do that. I agree. I just think the signs are currently quite positive. We've seen so much going on - beaches, protests, liverpool fans celebrating etc, and so far no real uptick. I've feared one every single time. There has to be some explanation for it - does being outside makes that much of a difference? Or have a lot more have had it than we realise? Or maybe it's not quite as easy to pass it on as we thought. As long as you don't sit next to someone chatting for a long period of time, maybe you're okay? We can all handle that if so, until better treatment, vaccines etc. Maybe i'm wrong, but we'll see. For now i'm gonna try and grab onto any hope I can :)

It is Boris Johnson who was blaming the care homes today. The care homes should sort the PPE etc but there was a situation of market failure when the supply diminished and the costs exploded.

Habe you or your business accepted any help from the Government during this crisis?
I am just trying to understand who should take the blame for what has happened that's all, I am not taking sides or anything. No help available other than loans, no grants as we are a limited company (two directors) that's fallen between the cracks

I am just trying to understand who should take the blame for what has happened that's all, I am not taking sides or anything. No help available other than loans, no grants as we are a limited company (two directors) that's fallen between the cracks

OK thanks EDS

More on the England hospital deaths.

9 added to 5 July to make 2 day total of 12

3 added to 4 July to make 3 day total of 15

8 added to 3 July to make 4 day total of 13 - that is still a new low for the 4 day total.

4 added to 2 July to make a 5 day total of 31,

But whilst these are mixed news the 6 day total for 1 July only increased by 1 and is still at 15 - which is by some margin the lowest on one day after so long since March.

Though given the days that have followed it very likely to stay that way for at least a week as days after it are either already higher or only need small add ons to go above 15.

Of the 36 England deaths all but two had underlying health conditions. Aged between 53 and 98. And the two with no known underlying health conditions were both in their 80s.

Northern Ireland no deaths - fifth consecutive day. First time that has occurred since March.

5 new cases. So UK total deaths 40 and cases bar England 14. I suspect the lowest weekday total from these 3 countries. But up on yesterdays single figure total.

Hospital total last week was 43 with 37 cases from the other three nations and 652 more from England.

The all settings death total was quite high at 155 but there is a weekend care home add on too so that is not unusual.

If we go below 100 today that will be a good sign. But its not that likely given the small drop in hospital numbers.

Fingers crossed anyhow.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't think you're that person either. Sorry if I didn't make that clear enough. I'll presume i've very similar to you on that front. Tbh, today I'm feeling quite defiant on it all, but others day a little more negative. Just depends on the mood really!

Fwiw, I don't think we'll brush it off, but I do think the likelihood of us having a second spike as big as the first one is not huge. And likewise, I think the likelihood of some of our major cities being hit as badly as Melbourne could be potentially is not quite as great. I could be wrong of course, but I can totally imagine the UK has been hit much worse than Australia or Israel given the density of this country, London in particular, and given our proximity to some of the world's worst hit countries (Spain, Italy etc). Travel between the UK and other European countries is plentiful as we all know. Tens of thousands of people aren't jumping on £50 flights to Australia every day from all over Europe for example. Football crowds as super-spreader events, with thousands travelling from over borders. I think we were prime to be hit awfully, and handled it terribly. Hence a shit load of infection. Reckon it was notably easier for Australia to handle it for lots of reasons.

And no, I'd not be getting fans back into stadiums etc. Seems far too early and naive to do that. I agree. I just think the signs are currently quite positive. We've seen so much going on - beaches, protests, liverpool fans celebrating etc, and so far no real uptick. I've feared one every single time. There has to be some explanation for it - does being outside makes that much of a difference? Or have a lot more have had it than we realise? Or maybe it's not quite as easy to pass it on as we thought. As long as you don't sit next to someone chatting for a long period of time, maybe you're okay? We can all handle that if so, until better treatment, vaccines etc. Maybe i'm wrong, but we'll see. For now i'm gonna try and grab onto any hope I can :)

And so you should, grab onto hope that is.i can understand what you're saying re Melbourne and its demographics in comparison to the UK, but we'll need to agree to disagree on how we think how big of a deal that makes. If London was hit early and hit hard, what does that mean for Portsmouth, Carlisle, Glasgow, Aberdeen, Cardiff? Have all these cities got the potential to be Melbourne now, if cases weren't near as prevalent 3 months ago as they were in London and other major European cities? I would never criticise anyone for holding out hope, but for the life of me I can't fathom the Melbourne statistics as anything but terrible news for the global population.

Think you are over a month out in your dating there. I posted a link in this thread to the situation in Wolfsburg care homes on April 4th, and a care home in Glasgow had already been identified as having 13 cases. Across Europe, in the weeks prior there had already been problems in care homes in France, Belgium, Germany, and the Netherlands, which were all reported in the UK media, so there was adequate warning for care homes and governments.

First up, an error on my part, the 38% figure represented the number of deaths in English care homes due to Covid-19, not 38% of care homes that had Covid cases. The proportion of care homes that had had Covid-19 cases on the 29th April was 33%
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...-cases-covid-19-deaths-pandemic-a9490276.html
As of the latest report the proportion of care homes that have had Covid-19 cases is now 56%
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...eaths-rate-england-wales-latest-a9599426.html

As you have stated this is the level reported throughout Europe at the end of April to everyone's horror.
But the sad fact is that in the last two months this percentage in England has gone up 23% even WITH additional measures in place. Testing for residents and staff has been available on demand and access to PPE provided (no issues from the last week in May) . Best practice processes have been enforced, yet the numbers have continued to rise.
The use of agency staff is clearly one of the major issues by staff members visiting multiple homes and asymptomatic transmission is another cause - the introduction of regular testing regardless of symptoms finally appears to have got a grip of things but somthing has still gone badly wrong. No wonder Boris and other government ministers have been tearing their hair out.
Private care homes seem to have been the least badly effected. The big care corporations clearly are the main problem.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.