COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Such a strange experience to go back and read this article from 5 January.

At times I am sure many of us have experienced Cassandra’s torment, but viewing the very early reporting of the initial “mystery illness” through the lens of the simply staggering weight of what we now know — and the tenuous understanding of our current and likely future struggles — is truly surreal.

Others have obviously experienced this strange, tortured, pensive state after other events that would prove to be turning points in human history, but that does not diminish our fears, hopes, pain, relief, and collective anxiety.

I hope we can take a moment to reflect back on what has occurred, what is happening now, and what could come, so that we may face it together, eyes wide open, and with determination that has brought light to the darkest days in the past.

It is like when you start training to be a nurse,it soon become second nature,I still do it now
Yes, since I married a nurse I wash my hands upteen times a day, didn't before.
She explained to me about all the public things you touch in everyday life, like door handles, petrol pumps, handrails, lift buttons. Any one could be laden with cold or flu virus.
Makes me laugh when you go to public toilets, wash your hands then have to open a door to get out.
I always use a piece of tissue to open that door.
Nurses eh...... hahaha

The virus is certainly a strange one.

Packed beaches, VE day celebrations, big crowds protesting etc and no increase in numbers, yet when the weather gets a bit chilly we're all fucked.
The virus seems to like cold weather there has been a second outbreak in the state of Victoria this last week strangely it got cold in Victoria 3 weeks ago and remains cold, it is the southernmost state apart from the island of Tasmania so they always get cold Winters including quite a bit of snow on high ground.... here in Queensland where we don't really have a winter there are no cases and the Queensland government have closed the borders with other states.

The virus seems to like cold weather there has been a second outbreak in the state of Victoria this last week strangely it got cold in Victoria 3 weeks ago and remains cold, it is the southernmost state apart from the island of Tasmania so they always get cold Winters including quite a bit of snow on high ground.... here in Queensland where we don't really have a winter there are no cases and the Queensland government have closed the borders with other states.
The virus likes any weather that sends people inside (to relatively confined space with limited fresh air circulation) for long periods of time, hence the substantial increases in cases in Florida, Texas, and Arizona (US) in the summer.

The virus likes any weather that sends people inside (to relatively confined space with limited fresh air circulation) for long periods of time, hence the substantial increases in cases in Florida, Texas, and Arizona (US) in the summer.
People in Victoria were enjoying being very much outside after lockdown. Now they have to stay in again.

People in Victoria were enjoying being very much outside after lockdown. Now they have to stay in again.
That’s unfortunate.

But the vast majority of current research indicates that most transmission occurs in confined spaces after prolonged exposure to one or more infected persons (there’s also recently been increased evidence that aerosol transmission occurs more often than previously believed, which would make transmission indoors even easier). Risk of transmission does increase in large, non-socially distanced crowds outside, but it is still much less likely with open, fresh air circulation.

My point was that the virus “likes” any weather that forces people in to confined spaces with limited fresh or properly filtered air circulation for long periods of time (like pubs, cafes, bars, music venues, restaurants, etc.). That includes cold and very hot weather.

Many people in Florida were doing the same as people in Victoria (if not to an even more irresponsible degree)...

spring-break-florida-beaches-coronavirus.jpg

fuGGU5WVTxrACgej.jpg

...but public health experts are not attributing the state’s horrific rise in new cases and hospitalisations to the outdoor activities, but rather the indoor ones that occur in tandem with them (i.e. as the people went outside more, they also went inside to non-home environments more before and after the outdoor activities, before then going to family and friends’ homes). Public heath experts in Texas and Arizona, where it has also been very hot over the last month, attribute their precipitous case/hospitalisation increases to indoor activity. Those people are basically creating nearly perfect transmission pathways. Many local officials are now trying to shut down outdoor areas like pool bars/restaurants and beaches in order to prevent the associated travel to the more confined indoor spaces by the people going to them (and to lower the lesser risk of transmission in the overcrowded outdoor areas, as an added benefit). Of course, that would all be a generally less urgent issue if people properly socially distanced and wore masks, but that is a different (and frustrating) discussion.

The “it’ll go away when it gets warmer and come back when it gets colder” theory is inaccurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.