COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you watch Dr John Campbell's video from today he talks about a German study which is showing that difference between case numbers and deaths is growing wider and that the death rates of the groups most at risk has fallen considerably over the past couple of months despite the increased number of cases. He believes this is good news, I suppose that we shall see if this study bears out over here in about three weeks.

But as cases are rising here in care homes at an alarming rate the fear is we may face a different outcome to Germany

Yeah but the story you tell about the high school sending kids home - the press had an hysterical reaction to getting kids back in school - when what you describe as happening now was suggested as the likely outcome the press responded with an attack on "militant" unions and lazy cunts who just want to stay at home ( although many were working at home ) - so you somehow get people back in offices if you bear in mind that school experience what do you think will be the outcome?

I was working in a 10 floor office block in Gateshead. Max 2 to a lift on return will take ages to get people to the right floor. They all share the same lift. One person tests positive. How many go home for 14 days? Them? Their office? Their floor including offices they don't work in but share lift and toilet facilities? Or all 10 floors on the same basis?
Thankfully, the decision as to who gets sent home from school rests with the public authorities, not the schools - otherwise we'd be damned if we did / didn't etc. I've taught in 3 different "bubbles" this week - not out of choice, but of necessity. We've been told to try and maintain 2 metre distance from kids - utterly impossible, especially with the younger ones. We've put in place a huge amount of measures in the hope of mitigation but we know the children only spend 19% of the week with us and it could be all undone outside the school gates. And we're not helped by the testing - no home kits available for much of last week.
Currently it looks like whole classes are being sent home if a pupil tests positive (or more of it's a teacher and the teacher has crossed "bubbles) and maybe we'll see that reduce to just those pupils in immediate contact (ie, sat next to). Just don't think we can sustain current systems if we want to get the schools up and running. Or, we send home whole classes and accept the cost of that - educationally and on wider society.

Thankfully, the decision as to who gets sent home from school rests with the public authorities, not the schools - otherwise we'd be damned if we did / didn't etc. I've taught in 3 different "bubbles" this week - not out of choice, but of necessity. We've been told to try and maintain 2 metre distance from kids - utterly impossible, especially with the younger ones. We've put in place a huge amount of measures in the hope of mitigation but we know the children only spend 19% of the week with us and it could be all undone outside the school gates. And we're not helped by the testing - no home kits available for much of last week.
Currently it looks like whole classes are being sent home if a pupil tests positive (or more of it's a teacher and the teacher has crossed "bubbles) and maybe we'll see that reduce to just those pupils in immediate contact (ie, sat next to). Just don't think we can sustain current systems if we want to get the schools up and running. Or, we send home whole classes and accept the cost of that - educationally and on wider society.

I think sending the whole class home won’t work: like you say within a month no one will be in. Can’t the whole class go for a test? And just have a couple of days off?

I don’t really know if going out is ok or not, my better half lives in Oldham which is red area, think Wilmslow is green could be wrong, went to the pub for lunch last week only person there, so that’s socially distancing

The answer is obvious - blame militant unions and lazy teachers

But as cases are rising here in care homes at an alarming rate the fear is we may face a different outcome to Germany

Residents greatest risk of infection is from staff. Other than regular staff testing, what else can be done? After all it's the colossal amount of nationwide staff testing which is picking up the care home positive tests. Which is surely has to be seen as an effective approach at this juncture, don't you think?

I think sending the whole class home won’t work: like you say within a month no one will be in. Can’t the whole class go for a test? And just have a couple of days off?

One school sent an entire class for tests and Hancock had a go at them!

As @johnnytapia says, damned if we do, damned if we don't.

EDIT: We've got 2 staff Self-ioslating today, still unable to get tests this side of Watford gap. Also one one kid off due to a parent's positive test, and at least another 3 off awaiting test results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.