COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only difference between current tier 3 and “national lockdown” is full closure of hospitality and non-essential shopping.

I would like to see it explained how that would have any increased effect on numbers.

I would also like to see it explained how locking down those areas in tier 1 that are seeing extremely low numbers as part of a national lockdown is a necessary.

there is a lack of acceptance that numbers will go up.

the government needs to publish what the acceptable number of deaths is. In other words, what is the number of deaths at which point they will release the lockdown. Otherwise it will be a repeat of March when lockdown went on far too long and the evidence shows that the numbers were coming down long before lockdown ended.

if the public were given the specific details setting out the parameters “when this happens we will do this” then compliance will be greater and that’s one of the biggest problems at the moment
good points

Just come off the phone to my daughter who has recently had it. (All clear now).

She is saying she is still catching her breath and feels absolutely exhausted. She tested positive twice and negative last week. Is it normal to still feel shattered and anyone who has has it, how long before energy comes back?
luckily my daughter recovered pretty quickly. But its not the same for everyone and some people clearly take longer. i read that rear blood groups are more vulnerable and take longer to recover.

would two weeks be enough
It doesn't seem to be slowing much with the current restrictions so I doubt it, it won't be happening anyway, Starmer wants it, so Boris won't do it, and therein lies the problem, there will never be consensus, politics in this country ! Another reason the Germans are better placed, their politics is generally centrist, and like the US we're f**ked by 2 extremes.

As a country you are far better setup than we are with regional government, OK we have our separate nations, but they are al small compared to England, so there is virtually no local setup here.

Our system is chaotic, I wrote earlier that Nottinghamshire is in the highest level of restrictions, yet a small town 6 miles away is in another county with much lesser restrictions, and I wager that 90% of the smaller towns population will have no idea where the boundary is, and many work (and probably shop) on the other side anyway. Our current system is a mess, even in the highest restrictions they are different from one area to another, and apart from some pathetic "government information" slots on national TV for the most part we have no message.

The only person keeping me safe from it is me, and yet I still have to go into work with people who come from all across the country into the office I work.
Doesn't sound too optimistic, sadly.
We often said since months, communication is key trying to inform the people and getting them on board in numbers.
Honesty is important to earn faith.

I remember the 1st London live tv speech addressing the nation
and I couldn't believe he said he will do the "right measures at the right time",
when it was clear he could know neither in a brand new pandemic.
Maybe it was convicing you lot, but not myself. He wanted to communicate strength, I did call his bluff. Wrong strategy to earn faith, IMHO.

I was shaking my head in disbelief for minutes (sic!) and I thought it could be a tough ride ahead for a very important country like yours.
Hope it goes well somehow.

I have said it before you dont come across that way. you appear to think there is a bottomless pit of money and a balance does not have to be struck between the economy and lives protected. that balance is made with every other diesease and covid should be no different in that respect. where the balance is is the hard bit. Why do you think the chancellor stopped the 80% furlough, because he wanted to or had to?

We still have a little wriggle room when it comes to debt to GDP. We are miles behind America and Japan. Debt is cheap currently and will probably stay cheap for a while so the repayments won’t be out of control. We will just have to put taxes up when the time is right but not at the minute. We can’t just allow hospitals to become over occupied with Covid patients and people to have ops cancelled as they have been doing just so people can go on holiday, to the pub or a restaurant. These are not essential in life. If people can’t follow simple rules then tough decisions need to be made. I think a short lockdown for a 2/3 week period would help.

Maybe they should do it over the Dec/Jan period when traditionally people have put their feet up at work in many industries from the 15th onwards and don’t really get going until the 2nd week in Jan. shut everything for 3 weeks over that period and scrap the Feb half term. Provide a months furlough for all those workers who can’t work. We can’t go on seeing numbers increase like this or else they will be out of control again before we know it. Maybe they already are.

We still have a little wriggle room when it comes to debt to GDP. We are miles behind America and Japan. Debt is cheap currently and will probably stay cheap for a while so the repayments won’t be out of control. We will just have to put taxes up when the time is right but not at the minute. We can’t just allow hospitals to become over occupied with Covid patients and people to have ops cancelled as they have been doing just so people can go on holiday, to the pub or a restaurant. These are not essential in life. If people can’t follow simple rules then tough decisions need to be made. I think a short lockdown for a 2/3 week period would help.

Maybe they should do it over the Dec/Jan period when traditionally people have put their feet up at work in many industries from the 15th onwards and don’t really get going until the 2nd week in Jan. shut everything for 3 weeks over that period and scrap the Feb half term. Provide a months furlough for all those workers who can’t work. We can’t go on seeing numbers increase like this or else they will be out of control again before we know it. Maybe they already are.

Makes the most sense 2bh.

It doesn't seem to be slowing much with the current restrictions so I doubt it, it won't be happening anyway, Starmer wants it, so Boris won't do it, and therein lies the problem, there will never be consensus, politics in this country ! Another reason the Germans are better placed, their politics is generally centrist, and like the US we're f**ked by 2 extremes.
You think Keir Starmer and Biden are extreme?

I do agree that playing politics with Covid is damaging. You can see that rearing its head again with the mass testing plans. Mass testing of students, workplaces, care homes, hospitals, hot-spots in general is exactly what is required providing the tests are accurate and the logistics are there to support it. This is a national emergency or will be soon if they don't get control of this soon. Mass testing has the potential to reduce transmission and it should be explored and examined properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.