COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read about the study (https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M20-6817)

It's pathetic. They literally listed variable adherence as a limitation of the study, as well as missing data and patient-reported findings on home test kits.

"Encouragement to follow social distancing measures for coronavirus disease 2019, plus either no mask recommendation or a recommendation to wear a mask when outside the home among other persons together with a supply of 50 surgical masks and instructions for proper use."

Come on this has as much integrity as a spaghetti skyscraper.
The author of the study itself said people should still wear masks and it even concludes that the study should not be used to determine whether masks should be worn.

It's comfortably the second worst today behind Cheesy, with hogwash about masks when everyone knows their importance and benefit and the danger posed by those in enclosed spaces who don't wear them.

Would have been more honest for them to just admit they're not a decent, responsible human being and be done with it.

Just to clarify, I of course wouldn't wish anyone to die.

It was a badly written post by me.

But I stand by my amended post in which I said that if anyone was to die because of people selfishly gathering at Christmas, then I would rather it be one of those selfish individuals than anyone else.

Bugger off where? Sorry because i happen to not share your thoughts i have to leave? Leave the conversation ? The thread? The forum full stop. You and ilk arent in charge here.
If you dont like people disagreeing with you maybe forums aren't for you.
I dunno, emigrate to Zimbabwe or something. There's nothing to disagree with.

hmm

Note that the article is in the Spectator.

The study is powered to detect an efficacy of instructions to wear masks of 50%.

ie it would only be expected to show a positive result if the true effect of being told to wear a mask is to reduce transmission by at least50%.

Also note, it tested the effect of being advised to wear a mask - they don't know to what extent people in the study actually changed their behaviour and wore masks.

Now, though it didn't show a definitive positive result, you can look at the confidence intervals - the interval it's 95% likely to have reduced transmission by. That limit is -46% to +23%. That it's so wide is because it's a fairly small study. The point estimate is a reduction of 18%.

An honest headline would be something along the lines of "Advising people to wear masks probably reduces transmission, but by less than half". The actual headline is ignorant at best, mendacious at worst.

Excellent twitter thread from an actual epidemiologist here

Judge for yourself the honesty of the Spectator.

Read about the study (https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M20-6817)

It's pathetic. They literally listed variable adherence as a limitation of the study, as well as missing data and patient-reported findings on home test kits.

"Encouragement to follow social distancing measures for coronavirus disease 2019, plus either no mask recommendation or a recommendation to wear a mask when outside the home among other persons together with a supply of 50 surgical masks and instructions for proper use."

Come on this has as much integrity as a spaghetti skyscraper.

The study seems fine to me.

The reporting in the right wing press, not so much.

Fingers in ears time again. Sort it out lads. There is a reality out there, and our actions and decisions have consequences. Adapt, or we face trouble down the line. Your attitude is YOUR responsibility.

It's time to stop pretending we can get away with doing whatever we want. No amount of rationalisation or shouting down the voices of others is going to change this one.

I know no-one wants to admit other people are right when they try to interfere, but there's times in life where it will save you a whole lot more unhappiness later on.

Let it go. Adapt. Use that brain of yours very gently to try and reduce the risks, rather than argue there aren't any, there's nothing we can do. Use it to support people in this hard time, rather than defend a losing position. You can do it. You've done it repeatedly to get this far in life. Don't stay stuck in a moment, forever.

Anyone see that Thatcher documentaries recently?

Wonder what she'd be doing. I reckon she'd be out there once a week, giving everyone a proper dressing down for not doing their bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.