COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an aside: The annual deaths due to flu, covid or pneumonia since 1901 from the ONS. It's not new and no doubt it has been discussed many times before.

It's worth looking at again for historical perspective and to consider how this compares to 'normal' 'flu epidemics.

Spanish 'flu is completely off the scale dwarfing Covid.

I ask myself and you why the world has been gripped by this because in terms of death it is significant but not really that unusual. You have to think though what it would like if the world did nothing. I think the horrifying thing for us is the fear that our parents get it but we don't have the same national reaction with 'flu.

Is the response to Covid19 rational? I include myself in that as I am caught up in it as much as anyone else.

You can argue that it's because the death is carried by one social group the elderly but isn't it always with respiratory illness?

Attachments

• Flu v Covid.png
    Flu v Covid.png
    92.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Is the response to Covid19 rational? I include myself in that as I am caught up in it as much as anyone else.

Not all the responses have been rational, even within the NHS.

There's a sad story on the BBC website this morning about a woman who has lost her eyesight because her monthly injections were cancelled due to Covid.

Covid: Woman left blind after treatment delayed in pandemic - BBC News

I can relate to this one because macular degeneration is a bit of thing we suffer from in my family, e.g. my Mum and my Aunt need exactly the same monthly injections this lady was relying on.

Yeah, if someone wants to start a new thread I can happily add an anonymous poll to it.
Without wanting a polling fest,wondered about a poll asking who has had it,who has had it in the immediate family ie partner,children gransparents / children / Or nobody close . Thought it might give some rough idea how many have had experience of family cases.

This is an aside: The annual deaths due to flu, covid or pneumonia since 1901 from the ONS. It's not new and no doubt it has been discussed many times before.

It's worth looking at again for historical perspective and to consider how this compares to 'normal' 'flu epidemics.

Spanish 'flu is completely off the scale dwarfing Covid.

I ask myself and you why the world has been gripped by this because in terms of death it is significant but not really that unusual. You have to think though what it would like if the world did nothing. I think the horrifying thing for us is the fear that our parents get it but we don't have the same national reaction with 'flu.

You can argue that it's because the death is carried by one social group the elderly but isn't it always with respiratory illness?
And the age group most susceptible was 20-40. Can you imagine if that were case now.

There's a sad story on the BBC website this morning about a woman who has lost her eyesight because her monthly injections were cancelled due to Covid.

I can relate to this one because macular degeneration is a bit of thing we suffer from in my family, e.g. my Mum and my Aunt need exactly the same monthly injections this lady was relying on.
I’ve posted on here before about my 81 year old mother’s story, but she has gone blind throughout this, waiting for cataract surgery, which is classed as non urgent. She also has terminal cancer, which is untreatable but she is on ‘palliative care’. Palliative care in reality means she has seen no one since her diagnosis, delivered over the phone, in May. The hospice ring her occasionally to check how she is doing. She could go into the hospice, but there is currently no short respite provision. If you go in, you stay in, with no visitors until your final hours.

I’ve posted on here before about my 81 year old mother’s story, but she has gone blind throughout this, waiting for cataract surgery, which is classed as non urgent. She also has terminal cancer, which is untreatable but she is on ‘palliative care’. Palliative care in reality means she has seen no one since her diagnosis, delivered over the phone, in May. The hospice ring her occasionally to check how she is doing. She could go into the hospice, but there is currently no short respite provision. If you go in, you stay in, with no visitors until your final hours.
Terrible. It is so sad to hear stories like this.

I am completely fixated by this. You can not help but be however when I actually look at the data it's just a bad 'flu year, and is dwarfed by Spanish 'flu. Had we done nothing where would it be is perhaps the question?

The deaths are a significant leap from where we were in 2019 and in that sense it's a huge leap but we are only returning to the levels pre-flu jab. Then I happily went through school and was oblivious to illness.

We have to consider though what this would be if we did nothing. That is not clear. There are some countries such as Iran which lack the economic strength to lockdown. This epidemic is marked by waves which peak and then seem to crash but do they crash because every society naturally hunkers down until it passes.

It does not matter whether you are a modern civilised society or a favela, when illness comes to your neighbourhood everyone instinctively does the same - quarantine.

I think I go with the fear of the unknown. The world has. We aren't all hysterical surely? When you consider the cost to business and wealth production, the elites who run the world would not have sacrificed their wealth had it not been necessary?

I am completely fixated by this. You can not help but be however when I actually look at the data it's just a bad 'flu year, and is dwarfed by Spanish 'flu. Had we done nothing where would it be is perhaps the question?

The deaths are a significant leap from where we were in 2019 and in that sense it's a huge leap but we are only returning to the levels pre-flu jab. Then I happily went through school and was oblivious to illness.

We have to consider though what this would be if we did nothing. That is not clear. There are some countries such as Iran which lack the economic strength to lockdown. This epidemic is marked by waves which peak and then seem to crash but do they crash because every society naturally hunkers down until it passes.

It does not matter whether you are a modern civilised society or a favela, when illness comes to your neighbourhood everyone instinctively does the same - quarantine.

I think I go with the fear of the unknown. The world has. We aren't all hysterical surely? When you consider the cost to business and wealth production, the elites who run the world would not have sacrificed their wealth had it not been necessary?
So are you up for working down the pit and defending a trench in France, Spain or Belgium. Things have moved on a bit over the last 100 years.

Last edited:
They have less cases per 100,000 than us. Stop this northern persecution nonsense.

Oh come on you can't deny the divide surely?
The North has always and will be always be treated with contempt from the Tories.
They don't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.