COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can not help but be however when I actually look at the data it's just a bad 'flu year, and is dwarfed by Spanish 'flu.

I would advise extreme caution when interrogating graphs like that. For instance:

1. The way deaths are categorised may have changed

2. Flu has been essentially wiped out by social distancing this year

3. COVID would have been much worse had we not imposed the restrictions we did.

"We averted disaster" does not imply "COVID is just bad flu"

So are you up for working down the pit and defending a trench in Spain or Belgium. Things have moved on a bit over the last 100 years.
The graph compares death due to respiratory illness through the last century and more. 1918 is on there, but so is the rest of the twentieth century. Why are you comparing life down the pit and trenches to 2020? Look at the 1990s before we had the 'flu jab.

Oh come on you can't deny the divide surely?
The North has always and will be always be treated with contempt from the Tories.
They don't care.
I don't think of it that way so much, more of an anti English region thing. You will find people in the midlands and the south west that feel just like the north that they are left out of things. Its more i think a result of the London centric bias of every political party and this has been exasperated by devolution where the English regions have been left even further behind.

Without wanting a polling fest,wondered about a poll asking who has had it,who has had it in the immediate family ie partner,children gransparents / children / Or nobody close . Thought it might give some rough idea how many have had experience of family cases.
Other half tested positive two weeks ago, still rough and coughing her lungs up, given the all clear to get out and about on day 10, I'm still in isolation until Sunday, 4 day incubation period, definitely puts you under the cosh, especially with me having a chronic lung condition and heart failure, struggled since the beginning of the virus and sadly the local surgery aint arsed.

I would advise extreme caution when interrogating graphs like that. For instance:

I would advise everyone to make an effort at interpreting something as pertinent to their lives as this.

I don't want to make any claims as to what Covid is or isn't. I just suggest people look at it. Go through the significant moments in their lives and compare the deaths in the UK then due to respiratory illness to now. That's what the graph let's you do. If you can fault it then I tip my cap to you.

I am not saying that Covid just bad 'flu but it is a virus like many others. Make an intellectual effort for yourself to put things into perspective, if you already have, fine!

I don't think of it that way so much, more of an anti English region thing. You will find people in the midlands and the south west that feel just like the north that they are left out of things. Its more i think a result of the London centric bias of every political party and this has been exasperated by devolution where the English regions have been left even further behind.

I predict Labour will win the next election - the Tories have let people down.

This is an aside: The annual deaths due to flu, covid or pneumonia since 1901 from the ONS. It's not new and no doubt it has been discussed many times before.

It's worth looking at again for historical perspective and to consider how this compares to 'normal' 'flu epidemics.

Spanish 'flu is completely off the scale dwarfing Covid.

I ask myself and you why the world has been gripped by this because in terms of death it is significant but not really that unusual. You have to think though what it would like if the world did nothing. I think the horrifying thing for us is the fear that our parents get it but we don't have the same national reaction with 'flu.

Is the response to Covid19 rational? I include myself in that as I am caught up in it as much as anyone else.

You can argue that it's because the death is carried by one social group the elderly but isn't it always with respiratory illness?
I’m not totally clued up on my history, but I thought the reason the Spanish flu was so deadly was firstly that it mutated into something horrific but also that nobody wanted to introduce quarantine or lockdown etc as it would have halted the war effort.

An unchecked Covid-19 would have resulted in a very significant spike in that graph.

A ‘normal’ flu season also doesn’t have lockdown measures within it. It doesn’t seem a worthwhile comparison to look at Covid-19 WITH lockdown and social distancing and normal flu without all that. And to then throw in Spanish flu which was during the war and some 100 years behind in terms of epidemiological knowledge and healthcare. The circumstances are so radically different.

Long time lurker, in fact i actually cant remember what i was searching for that brought me here in the first place, it was Covid related.

But i just wanted to take the opportunity to thank @Healdplace for the daily updates. The quality is incredible, far better than anything ive seen elsewhere in terms of the figures and what they mean. Absolutely invaluable when there is so much bad info out there. And incredibly scary when you were pointing things out that the government and MSM seemed oblivious to. Thank you so much.

I’m not totally clued up on my history, but I thought the reason the Spanish flu was so deadly was firstly that it mutated into something horrific but also that nobody wanted to introduce quarantine or lockdown etc as it would have halted the war effort.

An unchecked Covid-19 would have resulted in a very significant spike in that graph.

A ‘normal’ flu season also doesn’t have lockdown measures within it. It doesn’t seem a worthwhile comparison to look at Covid-19 WITH lockdown and social distancing and normal flu without all that. And to then throw in Spanish flu which was during the war and some 100 years behind in terms of epidemiological knowledge and healthcare. The circumstances are so radically different.
Might have already been mentioned, but a good watch on BBC2 last night at 9pm on the 1918 spanish flu. There seemed to be a lot of factors that made it so deadly, an obvious one being lack of medical expertese in viruses and pretty much no treatment for it. You got it, you were at its mercy and all that the doctors and nurses could offer was palliative care. Added to that there was very little lockdown or quarantine and its deadliness was kept quiet as it was war time and people were under enough strain.

Actually Manchester it said was one of the only places to do public health warnings in cinemas and that undoubtedly saved many lives.

2. - i think it has been largely effected by those susceptible to flu succumbing to covid, statistical switcheroo to some extent

3. -
this is predicated on 'if' and cannot be claimed as true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.