COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
the problem is how to shield the vulnerable and how to classify them. Age is a good start but it's not the only factor. Co-morbidities is a big field of study at the moment and BMI is a very big indicator of severity. I can imagine the uproar from the PC brigade when they announce that fatties have to stay at home! and lose weight while staying at home............

At least this "body shape/fat shaming" crusade bollocks can be binned. It's not ok or healthy to be fat as this is proving. Plus size promotion etc. needs to stop, there's a healthy body shape and size and we need to go back to promoting it like we did when we were sensible.

the problem is how to shield the vulnerable and how to classify them. Age is a good start but it's not the only factor. Co-morbidities is a big field of study at the moment and BMI is a very big indicator of severity. I can imagine the uproar from the PC brigade when they announce that fatties have to stay at home! and lose weight while staying at home............

I agree but I didn’t appreciated the disparity in numbers until it was pointed out to me today. Only 300 odd out of 30k deaths are under 45. Of those I dare say the majority had underlying. Increasing that to 65 years old and it’s about 3000. So about 10% of deaths are under 65. And I’m sure you could take a view on underlying within that to.

I was dead against coming out of lockdown. But. Given those numbers I can’t help thinking there is a way out of this based on age.

If anyone wants to know what the government thinks should watch Question Time. George Eustice has a stormer.

Clear as a bell.

I agree but I didn’t appreciated the disparity in numbers until it was pointed out to me today. Only 300 odd out of 30k deaths are under 45. Of those I dare say the majority had underlying. Increasing that to 65 years old and it’s about 3000. So about 10% of deaths are under 65. And I’m sure you could take a view on underlying within that to.

I was dead against coming out of lockdown. But. Given those numbers I can’t help thinking there is a way out of this based on age.

Good on you John for being so honest in your appraisal. You are spot on. The individual impacts are heartbreaking, but in reality, the longer term impacts could be 20 times more heartbreaking. We need a lot more people like you to stop taking in the media hysteria, step back, think through, and voice their opinion.

As I mentioned the other day, there have been 11 deaths under 20 years old. Only 169 under 40 years old.

Leave everyone else at home and send the under 40s out to get the work done and herd immunity in place. (awaits the wrath of Kaz)

The words herd immunity make me twitch,whatever were we thinking

As I mentioned the other day, there have been 11 deaths under 20 years old. Only 169 under 40 years old.

Leave everyone else at home and send the under 40s out to get the work done and herd immunity in place. (awaits the wrath of Kaz)

How do you stop loads of people over 40 suddenly being made mysteriously redundant?

Edit - and we know businesses *would* do this.

Just so you know the plan:
easing-eng-data.png

Edit: someone had already made the cheap gag about massage parlours

How do you stop loads of people over 40 suddenly being made mysteriously redundant?

Surely they are more likely to be made redundant if the company they work for isn’t trading at all? The government could easily say that the lifting of lockdown for under 40’s is dependant on no over 40’s losing their jobs as a result.

if anything I see it protecting their jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.