COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it's the Mail but they're going to change Covid-19 death reporting to be like Scotland and NI such that only folks who die within a month of a positive test get added to the death stats, with around 4000 removed from the total.
https://mol.im/a/8599213

Otherwise anybody who ever had a +ve test will eventually die of Covid-19. Of course the numbers will simply move to the excess death total (currently -ve since the start of July). But its the right thing to do.

Hopefully, this change will restore confidence in the published figures. The inconsistencies have been used by activists to undermine the threat of Covid on social media.

Disconcerting I would say. But they can be turned around and I certainly think strong leadership will make that more likely. And I would rather have Nicola Sturgeon in charge than pretty much any English politician if I lived there. So devolution can yet save the day. Because if she has to and is allowed to do by law then I suspect Nicola will close the borders to protect her people.

Westminster would consider it for days and then decide when it is too late.

The huge rise new cases are bad enough, but the hospital figures are possibly even worse that they seem to be plateuing if not slightly rising, which means that the rise in confirmed new cases over the past few weeks seem to be serious enough to be affecting the hospital figures now. Not promising.

Also note the R number has increased to 0.6-1.0, bear in mind thst this reflects the past 2-3 weeks of figures and not the huge rise we've seen in the past couple of days, so I suspect there's potential for the number to rise even further.

It is a critical week in Scotland, I agree. But it can tip either way. And it looks like what can be done to stop it going the wrong way is being done. So we can but hope it works.

The hospital data is crucial. Its why I post it in detail every evening because its how we will see if these outbreaks are rippling through the chain from asymptomatic to mild to serious enough to be hospitalised to needing icu ventilators to death.

We need to watch all the steps in that chain for changes that develop across weeks not days to see the outcome from what still could be a hiccup to clear signs of a new wave.

The complexity of track and trace and why local knowledge is vital is shown in Aberdeen.

They have 54 known infected people and 191 contacts of them to track and the cases stem from 28 separate locations.

And this is a small city with a relatively small outbreak. Looking for patient zero. Or even if there is just one. Is already a very tough ask which needs feet on the ground not someone 200 miles away on the phone.

You let this spread even for a couple of days before acting and it becomes impossible to stop.

Why is Sweden’s death rate coming down then? Why do people have antibodies that aren’t re catching it?

It must give some immunity otherwise rest assured those thousands of people who have caught it twice or more would be paraded on MSM daily to stoke up the fear.

Cue someone will do a search showing one person in a far part of the world who claims to have it twice.

Absolutely agree @Healdplace. The hospital figures are crucial and will be a sign of things to come in terms of deaths. Whilst we're on a run of 3 weeks with zero deaths recorded in Scotland, this is good news but only a sign of where we were roughly this time last month. A plateuing of hospitalizations followed by a slight rise will bare future consequences if the pattern isn't reversed asap. We can only hope.

We don't know if people are catching it again or not yet,the immune question ,how and why is not solved yet

I am not aware of any documented cases of anyone catching it again? Given the amount who it has got you have to be encouraged at this point. Of course given the virus has only been with us a few months it is way too soon to judge what immunity you gain from catching it. However so far so good covers it perhaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.