COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
my view of this is that the old model, the centralised office model with shops and eateries, high streets, is dead. We are moving, and have been for years, towards a weird mix of localism and online services. People have appetites to be away from jam packed commutes to city centres, be at home more and support what they consider (rightly or misguidedly) to be local business. then you throw in the almost exponential rise of Amazon and other delivery service culture and the high street and city centre model seems oddly quaint and on its last legs. Support should now be given to localism, good train systems and start ups.

Not sure I agree with that. Although high street shops may not be doing as well as they used to eateries and bars have thrived and town used to be hammered every day with these places doing a great trade. I don't think I have ever seen Manchester's nightlife doing as well as it was in the run up to the pandemic, the impact on the city centre has been devastating.

My only concern with working from home is the fact that if we prove the rolls can be done remotely whats then stopping the business's making that very remote from say India.
The depts I've worked with that have been outsourced to India (mainly it support etc) have always been a pain to deal with. Doing that whilst it would save money would see company productivity go down the pan IMO so cant see that happening

I guess a compromise of 2 or 3 days a week in the office and the other days at home would work. Thats how its been at my place through lockdown

Pretty disgraceful stance IMO. Cases on the rise, highest for a while but please, get back to the office so greedy developers can still make loads of money on office blocks.

These people have no clue what a drain on your life commuting for 2 hours a day can be.

If I could, I'd work from home forever, such a better way of life.

It’s not greedy developers. It’s the sandwich shop, the shirt maker, the road sweeper.

And I genuinely don’t think you can be as successful working from home 100 percent but I am a dinosaur. I can see the logic in the odd day at home but clearly a significant number of people will be abusing the working from home narrative. For me a lot more need to get back and quickly.

Trafford released from local lockdown but no news on Stockport yet which has nearly half the infection rate!

It’s not greedy developers. It’s the sandwich shop, the shirt maker, the road sweeper.

And I genuinely don’t think you can be as successful working from home 100 percent but I am a dinosaur. I can see the logic in the odd day at home but clearly a significant number of people will be abusing the working from home narrative. For me a lot more need to get back and quickly.
I don't think an even more sedentary life is good for the nation's health either.

Scottish data up first as usual.

0 Deaths happily.

51 new cases (0.6%) (10 in Tayside, 14 in Glasgow, 2 in Grampian).

255 in hospital (-2) but sadly now 3 in icu ventilator beds (up one - another worrying sign after months of it going downward - but small numbers exaggerate fluctations so not necessarily as bad as it looks).

Though the main concern here (and in the NW) is that the younger people catching Covid now relatively unimpacted are starting to mix with older relatives as there has been zero leadership in the UK recently telling people not to mix and I spend half the day trying to persuade my elderly friends that this is not already over and they should still nit be seeing who they like now.

We desperately need some public statements on this. Not after it is too late to steer the ship differently as deaths begin to climb.

For comparison in Scotland last week it was 0 deaths, 71 cases (1.0%), 254 in hospital and 2 icu ventilator bed.

Last edited:

Pretty disgraceful stance IMO. Cases on the rise, highest for a while but please, get back to the office so greedy developers can still make loads of money on office blocks.

These people have no clue what a drain on your life commuting for 2 hours a day can be.

If I could, I'd work from home forever, such a better way of life.

What a toss idea. The economy isn't suffering because people are working from home, it's because the govt shut businesses for months.

Makes no difference whether I work from home or go to the office, my contribution to the economy remains the same. I prepare my own lunches at home to take in to work and don't buy coffee from whichever coffee outlets are near my work. It's a ballache to return to work on a rota, I will be commuting just to have a zoom meeting with a colleague who is probably rota'd to stay at home that said day.

I see the sinister tory govt are taking the approach to suggest people WFH are cowards, just like last month they were ousting people who are overweight.

Trafford last three days has had 32 cases and its Pop Score is 691.

Stockport has had 12 cases over the same three days and its Pop score is 670. Both these are the lowest in GM. Even Wigan had more.

Of course they may already know today's numbers which might change things, but just Trafford would be a very odd decision. Especially given all the distribution sites and warehouses in the area.

I see the Trafford leaders do not want to be released for the reasons I do not think Stockport should be, as I mentioned yesterday. The inability to stop travel across the GM burroughs does not make it really easy to control outbreaks by having heavily infected areas adjacent to less heavily infected ones with different rules but no way to stop people crossing the road and changing buroughs as they do all the time anyway.

We really need to get the whole area under control before relaxing things as it will almost certainly only result in cases going up in the areas doing better which is not going to speed up controlling outbreaks.

But obviously most towns will not say no if offered as it gives them an edge and they will know it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.