COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, Joybringer Vallence has stated that there won’t be one until next year, it won’t get rid of Covid which will always be with us, and the best we can hope for is turning it into flu. It’s looking more and more like lockdown really isn’t a proper plan.
Well COVID itself is not especially dangerous, it's how infectious it is that's the problem because our lack of resistance, so as soon as it's not massively infectious (either by vaccine or just us all picking up antibodies by exposure to it) it won't be the debilitating disease it is currently.

Like the UK, a lot of people couldn't give a flying fuck and aren't complying with masks, social distancing, habitual hand washing etc etc. It's all well and good blaming those nasty government types. But whatever happened to individual accountability, being responsible for your own actions, looking at the bigger picture and thinking of others? We have a policy of wearing face masks where I work, which 90% are complying with. But there's some that just won't wear them. And there's no convincing them.
I was on site last week in Cork St in Dublin, 99% of people on the site wearing there mask under their chin all gathering around having a laugh ect. It's a fucking joke. I told my boss after that from now on I'm not going onto site I'm pissed off going into sites and people not giving a fuck.

Well COVID itself is not especially dangerous, it's how infectious it is that's the problem because our lack of resistance, so as soon as it's not massively infectious (either by vaccine or just us all picking up antibodies by exposure to it) it won't be the debilitating disease it is currently.
Not true the worst flu post 1918 was Asian Flu in 1957 that killed 119,000 in the US over a12 month period. It's R0 was 1.4.
Average flu kills 38,000 a year in the US.
Covid has so far killed 235,000 in the US over a 7 month period with probably the worst 5 months still to come and it has an R0 somewhere between 3.1 and 5.7. They can only guess the later because so many cases are asymptomatic.

The R0 of Covid-19 means it speeds between 2 and 3.5 times more quickly than flu so it has the capability to overwhelm heath services very quickly. Indeed, without social distancing and masks it would have killed many, many more already.

Last edited:
Assuming the idea is to buy time for a vaccine. At what point is an alternative strategy to continuous lockdowns is adopted if a successful vaccine is not forthcoming?
That’s been the most important question for the last months - so we got our predicted second wave, December loosening will lead to wave 3 in late January as more and more people get exasperated leading to outright piss take leading to Christmas..

governments are going to have to start being realistic with people in Novembe/December about what is really happening with the initial feedback on trials at phase 3 stage, as you simply can’t run this holding pattern for eternity without an exit strategy - we just might not like what that strategy may have to be.

When we were first locked down, it was stated that the R rate was over 3 and the IFR was 3.5%. Neither of those are anywhere near being true and it’s like any respiratory disease/virus, in that it goes after the eldest and the most ill. A different solution that doesn’t cripple the economy for years has got to be found.

That’s been the most important question for the last months - so we got our predicted second wave, December loosening will lead to wave 3 in late January as more and more people get exasperated leading to outright piss take leading to Christmas..

governments are going to have to start being realistic with people in Novembe/December about what is really happening with the initial feedback on trials at phase 3 stage, as you simply can’t run this holding pattern for eternity without an exit strategy - we just might not like what that strategy may have to be.
i agree, this isnt sustainable in the short term let alone the medium term. Plenty of people unemployed perhaps we should be increasing student nurse pay and enrolling 20000 new nurses immediately and building new permanent covid wards and then plan to get the country going again in 12 months time? having no exit strategy to this mess is not an option.

Matt Hancock spotted in his ministerial car without a mask on too. Though technically ministerial cars are exempt unlike taxis and Ubbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.