COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s also telling that the West Midlands, Yorkshire and Nottingham are currently hugely outstripping Manchester in infection rate but no suggestion of tier 2 or 3. Mind you, they’ve got MPs in the cabinet, whereas there are none from the North West or the North East!
Both Yorks and Notts in discussions with gov around measures

So Burnham says infection rate going down across the region, MEN, BM and Government saying infection rate is going up, who is right? @Healdplace
I answered that last night when discussing the data (yesterday was undeniably very bad in GM) and said this within seconds of them saying the exact opposite on the news last night.

All the media this morning are pushing this same argument that numbers are now going down but nobody is aware of why the data is conflicting depending on whether they use the 'finalised' cases from 5 days ago (going down and likely will for a couple of more days) - or the raw test data from yesterday (going up significantly in past 48 hours).

Let alone know which of these is most important. Though neither are more important than the rise in over 60s testing positive or the fact the NW has way more on ventilators than any other region. As this is why deaths in the NW almost every day are the highest proportion of those in the UK as the daily England hospital data shows around 2.30 pm each day.

When I worked for the media you had a responsibility to get your facts straight and understand the source.

Now its all about using what you can get to spin the story the way you are told.

Last edited:
Let’s assume the government are right and the entirety of the greater Manchester ITU service will be ‘overwhelmed’ by the first week in November (it has been completely full on multiple occasions in the past and I don’t remember such concern), do they not know the timeline of this virus? As if lockdown on October 20th will have any impact on ICU admissions in the first week in November. In fact, the only way ICU admissions can be reduced by then is if infections are already falling.....
Of course, if the SAGE modellers and the government ministers have known the ITUs would be overwhelmed by the first week in November they should have imposed their lockdown in September.
SAGE were asking for the circuit break / temporary lockdown about a month ago. I am not really pro the lockdown. I’m just pointing out a fact. The Government are trying to see what they see as the impact on the economy

If the surge capacity in ICU was overwhelmed (above current bed capacity) then I wonder if that would affect health and safety assessment for construction, engineering work etc.

Anybody more clued up than me know if we're likely to be going into tier 3 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.