COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
it’s quite incredible how Wigan has gone from a handful of cases a week in Aug to almost 2000 in a week.

It is. I have mentioned it often as it is such an anomaly and I suspect the cause is vital to understanding the dynamics of these lockdowns and how well they work - or not. Genuinely surprised there has not been more attention paid to it as on the face of it it argues lockdowns do not work.

Though I rather think it shows local lockdowns do not if they leave a target un locked down place nearby and no way to stop people from the infected area from going there and shooting up its numbers.

Nicola Sturgeon obviously saw this by how she called out the Glasgow to Blackpool 'illumination' coach tours that were in reality being used by young people as a cheap way to go to the pubs and bars 200 miles away that they could not do at home.

If we see towns just outsde the NW locked down borders rising - Macclesfield, Buxton, etc in coming weeks then they might also show the Wigan effect.

It's why I think only a national lock down really works as there is no way for this to happen then as nobody has an attractive lure to export the virus into.

I recall cab drivers during August remarking how many people they were bringing in and out of Wigan from badly impacted places like Bolton at that time.

Its human nature to find a way round the restrictions if it is not going to involve much effort. After all there is no ban on leaving even a tier 3 area. Just a suggestion that you do not.

Last edited:
it’s upsetting no one has the energy now to appreciate the work all these doctors and nurses continue to do.
What they did for us first wave has been forgotten , it is incredible stressful for intensive care staff and dealing with a virus that has killed hundreds of frontline staff, a lot nursed their own friends and workmates , all the while stressed that they might catch it and get ill and take it home , when we look at numbers we have to also think of the people caring for them

This is what happens when we pay management consultants £7k per day!

I've been working in IT for 25 years now and I've never seen an advert like that. Ever.

People who are able to "volunteer" with the skills they are asking for are seriously skilled people. Good ones who you'd want to do the job will have spent a LOT of time learning the job and will be in demand.

There's not many people around and the idea there's people with these skills who are furloughed - or even more incredibly, would do this for free - is laughable.

Even if you do find someone who can do the job, this is a job for someone who needs to oversee the work for years - not a volunteer who can do the odd day here and there.

It's either laughable, or a vision of the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.