Covid and travel discussion

When ordering the new tests you have to give a return date , what if you are not sure of the date ? .Business people ,people visiting sick relatives etc.
Was never a problem for us with the PCR tests - for one reason or another, two out of the three tests we did we ended up arriving back on a different day (extended one holiday, moved the other by a week). I think the important thing is to order and get it at your house before you go and don’t forget to take the code with you (for locator form).

I guess the paid tests will have an issue date on them for checking when you send the picture.
Otherwise you could use any old test you did weeks ago. To be honest £20 on the cost of a holiday doesn’t bother me.

Yeah but the kit is exactly the same as the free NHS ones that people have in bundles.
All you are paying for is a reference number for your PLF.

£20 isn't a lot of cash and obviously it's good to see the prices for testing have come down, but it doesn't make it any less of a con.

As another posted recently noted, we can travel relatively freely across Europe with our vaccine app/certificate, yet coming back to the UK we have to line the Gov pockets by being forced to buy these tests at ridiculously inflated prices.

At £20+ a pop, we are still having our pants pulled down.

Yeah but the kit is exactly the same as the free NHS ones that people have in bundles.
All you are paying for is a reference number for your PLF.

£20 isn't a lot of cash and obviously it's good to see the prices for testing have come down, but it doesn't make it any less of a con.

As another posted recently noted, we can travel relatively freely across Europe with our vaccine app/certificate, yet coming back to the UK we have to line the Gov pockets by being forced to buy these tests at ridiculously inflated prices.

At £20+ a pop, we are still having our pants pulled down.
My issue is, we can mix with Irish and other EU nationals freely in Ireland come back no tests, yet apparently if we mix with them dirty continental europeans we need testing. I don’t mind testing if it means I can travel but one or the other, not double standards..

My issue is, we can mix with Irish and other EU nationals freely in Ireland come back no tests, yet apparently if we mix with them dirty continental europeans we need testing. I don’t mind testing if it means I can travel but one or the other, not double standards..

Another classic example of how the Gov policy on travel just doesn't, and has never, made any sense.

We have some of the worst Covid case rates in Europe, yet they insist on testing all arrivals despite the bulk of them returning from countries that have significantly lower rates than us (and are still taking Covid more seriously, generally speaking)

Why weren't they testing returnees from Cornwall over the summer? That was far more Covid dangerous than a week in Spain or Greece.

Whilst watching the rags get stuffed, my fingers just happened to click 'buy' on a return to Fuerteventura at the end of January. Just a flying visit over a weekend, and my bank account is now £31 lighter. Finally (hopefully) getting to the one Canary Island I've yet to visit.
Trying to snaffle as many travel bargains as possible cos when the travel boom returns in all it's glory, the basement fares are gonna be hard to come by.

Not all of the country, 17 provinces first, maybe some more in December.

I need to get to the North East (Isaan) where I'm having a house built but won't be allowed to travel there.

Going to wait till January to see how things progress.
I fucked up 2 weeks ago and booked for end of january for 1 month
I presumed under 18 year old s would not have to be vaccinated
me and the thai mrs both been double jabbed since march/april this year,we are both NHS

the Thais announced the early requirements last week friday i think,
under 12;s need not be vaccinated if travelling with parents
our 14 year old has not had his jab,his mum,who is double jabbed and worked on ITU from the
beginning of the pandemic last year for 15 months does not want him to have the jab !
she has spoken to numerous work collegues ,doctors and consultants and all have advised not to let him have it.
she is still adamant now,that she doesen't want him to have the jab
so it looks like we wont be going and £1300 lost on the air fare

btw ,my mrs is from 10 to 15 miles west of Udon Thani

Hi Blue44,

I'd hang on and see what they say in December. You know what the Thai authorities are like: always changing their mind!

I'm sure your 14 year old will be fine having the jab, many are having it now.
Are you able to move your flights to another time?

I'm heading to Mukdahan.

Hi Blue44,

I'd hang on and see what they say in December. You know what the Thai authorities are like: always changing their mind!

I'm sure your 14 year old will be fine having the jab, many are having it now.
Are you able to move your flights to another time?

I'm heading to Mukdahan.
Hi

the latest thai requirements
say under 12s dont need to be vaccinated,but it doesen't say excactly what 12 to 18 yr olds need
if they need to be double jabbed the same as adults do,12 to 15 year olds in the UK only recieve 1 jab at the moment unless you are a vulnerable child or live with vulnerable parents.

i think there will be a lockdown here before the winter is out,so everything will change from the UK.

not sure if our flights will be flexible etc

Last edited:
Well I've plumped for it, Portugal tomorrow.

Ryanair website hasn't got any less intense since the pandemic I see....

NHS app and vaccination status downloaded, plf for Portugal done, lft for day 2 return (£19) bought, awaiting to do UK PLF 48 hours before return flight, need test ref number for that. God knows if the test will turn up.

Phew. I think that's everything. Not quite buy ticket and fly, but it's slightly easier than a few months ago.

i need the covid travel passport,so i think the opitons are to download to phone or have it sent to my home which will be a paper version, downloaded the NHS app and now its asking for proof of who i am by sending a photo, not got any further as im working today so will get on it tomorrow, is it pretty straight forward? and do you get the proof of vaccination straight away?

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.