COVID Data Thread

As I said that might have helped before everywhere got to the point it is now. As in 3 weeks ago. But there is no way to really slow this down now it has spread everywhere, bar a full lockdown that will never be obeyed well enough to matter. Not even sure that would help much now given we are having millions catching it every week.

Tha kind of rate cannot be sustained for long. And how much really would a lockdown now stop cases from spreading beyond what they have over the past 2 weeks.

They could try piecemeal measures like banning crowds at football or closing theatres but they have to balance that against the harm that would do.

I would have supported a locdown bwfore Christmas. In fact I psted in here saying we should do and got hounded off the thread if you recall.

That told me how well it would work. As in not well.And that was then. When it could have worked. Its too late now imo. Or we would be doing it. We just are hoping it will burn fast and over quick.

Which is a gamble. If he was not going to do it tonight he will not later.

I'm not arguing for more restrictions, just making the point that there is no argument for a deliberate fast burn.

You'll not that a deliberate fast burn is not govt policy either- just for instance testing all pupils on return to school and keeping isolation in place are specifically designed to reduce spread.

This is only anecdotal of course but I was back in work today and I visited one of my customers in North Wales. They were saying that over the Christmas and New Year period (they worked every day except Christmas and New Year's Day) they had around 20% of the production workforce off. They had to submit proof of a positive PCR test so they weren't faking it and they had a few more at home awaiting results after positive LFTs.

This appears that the additional restrictions in Wales are now making little or no difference compared to England and unless some sort of draconian lockdown was imposed then we have to ride it out. As @Healdplace posted earlier, the vast majority of people probably wouldn't abide by any such restrictions anyway so they effectively would be as pointless as all current ones.
My friend has spent both Christmas and New Year with family in North Wales. Back today.

She is very vulnerable as I have mentioned often in my posts. I was really worried as she stayed with family and had lots of visits and trips out to places I assumed you culd not go in Wales over past two weeks Sje told me it was barely noticeable there were testrictions.

Whether it was because many were just ignoring them I do not know. But it has made no obvious difference to case rates.

I'm not arguing for more restrictions, just making the point that there is no argument for a deliberate fast burn.

You'll not that a deliberate fast burn is not govt policy either- just for instance testing all pupils on return to school and keeping isolation in place are specifically designed to reduce spread.
I doubt it was a plan as such just a consequece of circumstances. Not sure anyone could have stopped this tsunami but it would have taken a full on lockdown over Chrstmas and New Year to have some kind of shot enacted well before Christmas as spread took off the week before then.

Once that window was missed as they awaited more data and likely as it was deemed politically too hard to impose at that time when the govenment were under seige over things like partygate then the moment was gone.

But if it pays off you can bet it will be presented as the plan all along.

I have no idea what the next month will bring. It looks like it will be better than our worst fears. But it could yet go pear shaped as we are yet to see the consequence of things like care home outbreaks with Omicron. Or if the boosters wear off faster than hoped in the most vulnerable.

With each step the choices to be made have got harder because the people have become more and more frustrated with those in charge and the ability to carry them with you slips away too easily.

It will always end up being mostly fortune and science that lead to what happens and if it goes well you take the credit and if not you blame fortune and/or science or anyone else you can think of.

How politics works pretty much everywhere

THIS IS ONE MEDIA REPORT TONIGHT

Rather confused.

Mr Johnson will deliver a virtual Covid press conference from Downing Street at 5.00pm on Tuesday 4 January.

You will be able to watch the announcement via a live stream on this page. It will also be shown on TV on BBC News and Sky News....

Plan B measures are being reviewed this week, with the Education Secretary Nadhim Zahawi confirming that Cabinet will meet to discuss the restrictions on Wednesday 5 January.

Um

So the plan was to annouce no new restrictions the night before they all meet up to discuss the restrictions.

Why then not just do the press conference tomorrow after you have actually all discussed the matter first?

GREATER MANCHESTER CASES TODAY

TOTAL 12,078 - A new record high up 704 on the last one 3 days ago.

UP by 4346 from 7732 yesterday

NW Total 29,360- UP from yesterday by 5177

GM 41.1% of the NW total today. WAY up on past two numbers which were 31%.

Though that 41% is about par.

Week to week NW was up 9177 & Greater Manchester was up by 3416 which is 37.7% of that rise.

Yet another unparalleled set of numbers with figures breakimg records everywhere. THREE pop scores over 500 on one day is quite a shock. Had never seen one anywhere in the UK before this week!

MANCHESTER 1816 - UP 464 on day & UP 139 on week - Pop Score 327* to enter 24K club (POP 24,304) * Highest score but lowest Pop Score in GM today. If anyone thinks 327 is low! This is the most ever to be best of day.

SALFORD 1338 - UP 695 on day & UP 306 on week - Pop Score 509 to smash into the 25K club as first in GM (POP 25,379) Highest pop score in GM across the pandemic - leading TRAFFORD - but by a whopping 1014.

BOLTON 1284 - UP 237 on day & UP 631 on week - Pop Score 446 - POP 22,726) * Lowest Pop Score in GM across the pandemic - BUT lost more of its lead over Stockport today. And may well last just 2 days as only resident of the 22K club as 23K seems certain bar a big fall tomorrow.

STOCKPORT 1230 - UP 462 on day & UP 188 on week - Pop Score 419 (POP 23,586) - took another 27 back from Bolton to now be 860 behind for best Pop Score across the pandemic.

OLDHAM 1185 - UP 678 on day & UP 395 on week - Pop Score 499. Just missed being another over 500 but will be in 24K club tomorrow. (POP 23,809)

TAMESIDE 1169 - UP 683 on day & UP 551 on week. Pop Score 514 to shockingly enter the 24K club unexpectedly early (POP 24,119)

WIGAN 1165 - DOWN 123 on day & UP 302 on week - Pop Score 352 - also entering the 24 K club (POP 24,300))

BURY 1065 - UP 586 on day & UP 533 on week. Pop Score 558 * to be another in one day to enter the 24K club unexpectedly * the highest EVER Pop Score in GM on one day (POP 24,083)

ROCHDALE 975 - UP 463 on day & UP 387 on week. Pop Score 436 to make it FIVE into the 24 K club on just one day - most ever jumping ship in one day amd unlikely to ever be beaten - hopefully! (POP 24,198)

TRAFFORD 851 - UP 201 on day & DOWN 16 on week - Pop Score 358 (POP 24,365) Better day here - lowest score in GM but highest ever lowest score!

Anything we can do....

US is the first nation to record over ONE MILLION cases on one day - 1,080,211

Glad I am not working out THOSE numbers!

Wonder how many were in Evanston, Illinois where I (briefly) lived long ago.

Anything we can do....

US is the first nation to record over ONE MILLION cases on one day - 1,080,211

Glad I am not working out THOSE numbers!

Wonder how many were in Evanston, Illinois where I (briefly) lived long ago.
Pretty similar to the UK cases based on population I'd say.

ZOE NUMBERS

On the Zoe data today there are a few more hints of a slow down.

Predicted cases is actually matching the reality quite well now.

They had 208,135 today - UP 1265 after a rise of 1635 yesterday and 2890 the day before.

Seems to be slowing toward a plateau.

They have 2,527,867 ongoing infections as of today. That is up on yesterday by 58,713

The rise the day before was 63,810

Another hint of falling.

In the regions

NORTH WEST increases its lead in top it took over yesterday ON 4063/4527 - UP from 3975/4445 - which is a smaller rise than yesterday - or indeed any of the previous two week of rises

LONDON still second but falls again ON 3746/4085 from 3978/4334 - with the daily falls being about 200/300 every day for a week.

Most of the southern regions are falling. Indeed SOUTH WEST is now the lowest in the UK below Scotland on 2002/3187 V Scotland's 2039/2432

YORKSHIRE is up the most today into 4th on 3179/3653

In the North West

Liverpool is rocketing up on 45,256 and St Helens even more so on 50,270 - highest in the region (over 50K is VERY rare). But only just - see GM below. Wirral has climbed back into the 30s on 33,058

Both the Cheshires are up to just under 30K

In Greater Manchester the order is (all going up):-

OLDHAM 29,348 - like everyone rising but the only one JUST under 30K. First time ever that 9 out of 10 in GM have been over 30K on Zoe

TRAFFORD 30,264

BURY 31,057

ROCHDALE 32,386

BOLTON 36,456

STOCKPORT 36,745

WIGAN 37,940

TAMESIDE 44,304

MANCHESTER 44,844

SALFORD 50,146 - Only just second behind St Helens as highest in the North West region.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.