Covid vaccine uptake - poll

Will you take a Covid vaccine when it becomes available?

• Yes

Votes: 413 78.5%
  • No

Votes: 67 12.7%
  • Undecided

Votes: 46 8.7%

• Total voters
It will be interesting to see if countries refuse entrance if someone has not had the vaccine.

It would not surprise me if, in the near future, there is a court case in which someone has a job offer withdrawn because the employer finds out the applicant has not had the vaccine.
As somebody that lives next door to the States, I sure as fuck hope so.

What if the employer insists the employee has the vaccine and the employee becomes seriously ill from it!
Does that then open a damages claim?
Pretty sure that offering someone a job on a condition, say, them getting a haircut, does not make the employer liable if the barber accidentally takes off their ear. It's still likely to be seen that it was the individual's own choice to accept the job offer and the conditions, or refuse it. After that, liability would likely come down to those who made the vaccine, marketed it, and certified it for use. The employer would be at the bottom of a stack of different people who might bear liability. If the evidence shows it to be a safe vaccine, to the accepted scientific and medical standards, they have an incredibly strong case for saying they acted reasonably.

The thing is, 1 in 20 getting long covid and possibly being absent for months is serious concern for employers. And we're still in the dark about the long term prospects. Do some never recover? So you may as well ask - if an employer does not take reasonable precautions to protect their staff from COVID, are they liable for that?

I reckon about 8% is about right. If you did a nationwide survey. Just shows how loud the social media conspiracists are - when it’s a tiny minority in reality
Not sure that almost 1 in 10 people could be classed as a tiny minority (if indeed this poll were in any way accurate). It’d be a pretty sizeable dissenting minority. Thankfully we can presumably get some kind of herd immunity without them being immunised.

Pretty sure that offering someone a job on a condition, say, them getting a haircut, does not make the employer liable if the barber accidentally takes off their ear. It's still likely to be seen that it was the individual's own choice to accept the job offer and the conditions, or refuse it. After that, liability would likely come down to those who made the vaccine, marketed it, and certified it for use. The employer would be at the bottom of a stack of different people who might bear liability. If the evidence shows it to be a safe vaccine, to the accepted scientific and medical standards, they have an incredibly strong case for saying they acted reasonably.

The thing is, 1 in 20 getting long covid and possibly being absent for months is serious concern for employers. And we're still in the dark about the long term prospects. Do some never recover? So you may as well ask - if an employer does not take reasonable precautions to protect their staff from COVID, are they liable for that?
I was implying an existing employer/employee scenario

You are correct on the question of long Covid and its affects, but the same question hangs over the vaccines

Not sure that almost 1 in 10 people could be classed as a tiny minority (if indeed this poll were in any way accurate). It’d be a pretty sizeable dissenting minority. Thankfully we can presumably get some kind of herd immunity without them being immunised.

but when push comes to shove that 8% in reality would go down to 3/4%

What if the employer insists the employee has the vaccine and the employee becomes seriously ill from it!
Does that then open a damages claim?

Fair point but would suggest the applicant is not 'forced' as such as they have a choice of employer.

If the vaccine is a danger to a specific set of people (for example, a long term illness or condition of some sort), then I guess that would be a test of the Equality Act 2010.

Caveat: I am by no means a legal expert. Not sure I could even reach the dizzying heights of being called a layman in relation to law.

As somebody that lives next door to the States, I sure as fuck hope so.

I have this perception that the majority of anti vaxxers in the US are insular and would not even dream of cross state lines, never mind national borders :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.