Crazy Explosion at Beirut Port (video)

It might not be that many more at the scene - warehouses and silos aren't necessarily heavily populated areas.

The thousands of injuries will presumably be a whole range from flying glass and concussions to crush injuries. I'd guess a number of those won't make it, but that's really not that many. The real problem might be the loss of hospital facilities.

The reports say that there were "dozens" of firefighters at the site attending the fireworks fire already. I can imagine they were sadly all blown to bits looking at the scene afterwards You could be correct - maybe just about all those in the immediate vicinity had been evacuated because of the original fire. Depended where you were stood in some cases

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-53670839

Gives you some idea of scale if yesterday. The Buncefield oil depot explosion 15 yrs ago had an estimated equivalent explosive force of 29tons. The Tianjin explosion in China a few years ago was estimated at 336tons of TNT, yesterday's Beruit explosion was estimated at 1.1KT or 1136tons of TNT, Fauld was estimated at 2KT of TNT and the Halifax, Nova Scotia explosion in WW1 was 2.9KT. The last one effectively destroyed the whole town and caused a tsunami 60ft high. The other scary thing you notice when you check these things out is how many of these big explosions have occurred and still occur.

No way should that fertiliser have been stored in such close promity to the port, city and residential areas.
I have been to Halifax and seen the exhibition about the explosion there. Watching those video’s in Beirut made me realise how horrific it must have been in Halifax. Bloody scary some of those shots.

I have been to Halifax and seen the exhibition about the explosion there. Watching those video’s in Beirut made me realise how horrific it must have been in Halifax. Bloody scary some of those shots.
Never been myself.
The sad thing is it would seem that many people went down to the docks to see the ship on fire at Halifax just as they went down the dock to see the fireworks going off in Beruit.
We can only hope that port and storage authorities all round the world are now checking and trying to make safe their own facilities as you can bet your bottom dollar there will be other facilities where ammonium nitrate is currently being stored unsafely.

Never been myself.
The sad thing is it would seem that many people went down to the docks to see the ship on fire at Halifax just as they went down the dock to see the fireworks going off in Beruit.
We can only hope that port and storage authorities all round the world are now checking and trying to make safe their own facilities as you can bet your bottom dollar there will be other facilities where ammonium nitrate is currently being stored unsafely.
I heard on my local news last night that "warnings were ignored" but I have not been able to find a quote anywhere since.

You missed a deleted post about Mossad on the first or second page.
How can people even think that the Israeli mossad will do such a thing? Believe me, if there was even a 1% chance that this was the Mossad, all the arrows around the world would be pointed at Israel. This is an accident and those responsible for it should be punished. How they agreed to store such dangerous materials for 6 years close to citizens. Unbelievable. Heartbreaking. Praying for the people of Beirut.

How can people even think that the Israeli mossad will do such a thing? Believe me, if there was even a 1% chance that this was the Mossad, all the arrows around the world would be pointed at Israel. This is an accident and those responsible for it should be punished. How they agreed to store such dangerous materials for 6 years close to citizens. Unbelievable. Heartbreaking. Praying for the people of Beirut.
You have too much faith in human nature. Within seconds of any catastrophe anywhere in in the world countless idiots will start propagating idiotic conspiracy theories blaming Israel or Jews in general (usually alluded to by referring to rich bankers / Rothschilds or Soros). Sad but true.

Maybe I've seen far too many movies but as soon as that mushroom cloud appears I'm dropping and adopting the foetal position. I've never seen a blast that looks so nuclear. But isn't

All explosions have a blast and a mushroom cloud - that's just a feature of the physics of explosions. It's just that the nuclear ones (and really big chemical explosions like this one) are bigger and more obvious.

I think people want life to be like the movies so that when something terrible like this happens they want the simplest reason as this leads to the simplest solution (which is usually when the USA take control to shoot all the "baddies" dead) so it doesn't happen again.

The only outcome another state would want to achieve by doing this would be to take out the port, but they would do so in a less obvious way I would have thought. They were already storing this stuff at 9 times the level of tonnage the UK recommends in one place and that is before you factor in the suitability of the warehouse, methods of storage to mitigate danger and the lack of regular inspections - negligence is almost certainly the reason.

Gives you some idea of scale if yesterday. The Buncefield oil depot explosion 15 yrs ago had an estimated equivalent explosive force of 29tons. The Tianjin explosion in China a few years ago was estimated at 336tons of TNT, yesterday's Beruit explosion was estimated at 1.1KT or 1136tons of TNT, Fauld was estimated at 2KT of TNT and the Halifax, Nova Scotia explosion in WW1 was 2.9KT. The last one effectively destroyed the whole town and caused a tsunami 60ft high. The other scary thing you notice when you check these things out is how many of these big explosions have occurred and still occur.

No way should that fertiliser have been stored in such close promity to the port, city and residential areas.
I read all about the Tianjin explosion in 2015 as I was there a year later.
On a similar scale to Beirut.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.