******Cricket Thread******

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watching the T20 game between Surrey and Middlesex. Quick question for you lads who are pretty well up to speed on the rules (laws?) of the game. The non striker had to scramble back to make his ground, having inched a fair way down the pitch for a possible single. Now, if he was to hit the stumps (with either his bat or a part of his body) would he be given out (hit wicket), the same as a batsman facing would if he hit the stumps? I'm assuming that, yes he would. The fact the non striker isn't facing wouldn't matter, I'm guessing.
No mate, the only way you can be out hit wicket is in the action of receiving a delivery at the strikers end.

Just watching the T20 game between Surrey and Middlesex. Quick question for you lads who are pretty well up to speed on the rules (laws?) of the game. The non striker had to scramble back to make his ground, having inched a fair way down the pitch for a possible single. Now, if he was to hit the stumps (with either his bat or a part of his body) would he be given out (hit wicket), the same as a batsman facing would if he hit the stumps? I'm assuming that, yes he would. The fact the non striker isn't facing wouldn't matter, I'm guessing.

Non-striker can't be out hit wicket. It's perfectly acceptable for a batsman to break the stumps if he's trying to make his ground.

The situation in question - known as a Mankad after the first who did it, I think - involves the non-striker leaving the crease. There's a line in the laws about when the bowler is allowed to knock the bails off - memory says that he's not allowed to go through his action and hold the ball (basically, a dummy) - but I think it's also been outlawed now in some cricket (may need to be confirmed).

Mankad's actions involved warning the Australian batsman first, and he was backed fully by Don Bradman - about as good support as you'd want!

Non-striker can't be out hit wicket. It's perfectly acceptable for a batsman to break the stumps if he's trying to make his ground.

The situation in question - known as a Mankad after the first who did it, I think - involves the non-striker leaving the crease. There's a line in the laws about when the bowler is allowed to knock the bails off - memory says that he's not allowed to go through his action and hold the ball (basically, a dummy) - but I think it's also been outlawed now in some cricket (may need to be confirmed).

Mankad's actions involved warning the Australian batsman first, and he was backed fully by Don Bradman - about as good support as you'd want!
I never realised the name was from as long ago as this - I just don't remember (either through playing or via commentary) it being used until about 15 years ago so assumed the action had been named after someone more recent. We just called it "running out the non-striker" and not to do it! Vinoo Mankad also played for Tonge in the Bolton League it seems.

I never realised the name was from as long ago as this - I just don't remember (either through playing or via commentary) it being used until about 15 years ago so assumed the action had been named after someone more recent. We just called it "running out the non-striker" and not to do it! Vinoo Mankad also played for Tonge in the Bolton League it seems.

I quite like the idea of being able to cite Bradman in his corner!

I think it's more common as more sloggit cricket is played - much more, and particularly with the T20 stuff - and stealing yards has become more common. At some point it needs a brake put on it, or the non-striker will start 5 yards down the pitch!

I don't think the name was used until the last few years when it became more common to try it, and if it happened in the IPL, they would know the history of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.