******Cricket Thread******

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've tried to read around a bit before commenting to try and get a more balanced view.

IMO Flower was essentially England's Mancini, came in, kicked them all into shape but then as soon as results slide the players start to kick off about how overbearing he was, it's not worth the hassle if the results aren't good enough. His complaints range from incredibly pretty to pretty serious, this is the bit where he seems most 'whiney' to me. He should have some pretty serious questions to answer about Trott.

On 'the clique' there clearly is one. Do they bully, I'm not sure. The stuff about apologising for catches seems petty from both sides, I've always apologised when I drop a catch or, in football, misplace a pass, demanding someone says sorry seems petty but so does not saying sorry in the first place. The twitter account clearly affected him a lot and I thought it had emerged that it was Broad's mate behind that? If it's affected him as much as he says there should have been disciplinary action taken over that. I'll wait to see if he mentions how he treated James Taylor in the book...

Prior, I just don't get. Even journalists who've been very pro-KP on twitter just don't buy this. He's chirpy and aggressive in the field but they apparently can't find anyone who says he's anything other than a top bloke and a great professional and that he was key in getting KP back into the side post 'textgate'. It seems utterly bizarre to give him such a character assassination.

It's good to finally have his view in the open but as ever I think the truth is somewhere inbetween this and the ECB version.

TBH I've always thought Prior comes across as a bit of a knobhead. I'm pretty certain Anderson, Swann, Broad etc will totally deny this and their journo buddies like Aggers, Newman, Etheridge etc will inundate us with anti-KP pro Prior stuff but KP must have known that would happen when he started the book. I'll have to read the book to see exactly what he says about Prior but I wouldn't be surprised to hear of him being a clique, schoolboy bully because it's exactly what I thought after that Headingly test.

without a dream said:
I've tried to read around a bit before commenting to try and get a more balanced view.

IMO Flower was essentially England's Mancini, came in, kicked them all into shape but then as soon as results slide the players start to kick off about how overbearing he was, it's not worth the hassle if the results aren't good enough. His complaints range from incredibly pretty to pretty serious, this is the bit where he seems most 'whiney' to me. He should have some pretty serious questions to answer about Trott.

On 'the clique' there clearly is one. Do they bully, I'm not sure. The stuff about apologising for catches seems petty from both sides, I've always apologised when I drop a catch or, in football, misplace a pass, demanding someone says sorry seems petty but so does not saying sorry in the first place. The twitter account clearly affected him a lot and I thought it had emerged that it was Broad's mate behind that? If it's affected him as much as he says there should have been disciplinary action taken over that. I'll wait to see if he mentions how he treated James Taylor in the book...

Prior, I just don't get. Even journalists who've been very pro-KP on twitter just don't buy this. He's chirpy and aggressive in the field but they apparently can't find anyone who says he's anything other than a top bloke and a great professional and that he was key in getting KP back into the side post 'textgate'. It seems utterly bizarre to give him such a character assassination.

It's good to finally have his view in the open but as ever I think the truth is somewhere inbetween this and the ECB version.

I know he made a thing about the having to apologise and you're right pretty much any fielder would apologise anyway and it would be weird not to but it would also be weird to have some kind of rule in place where the bowlers demand an apology. But he did also say that at some point Strauss tried to address the issue that some players felt too intimidated in the field and I think that is probably more the point. Anyone who has played cricket has played with players who are proper fucking bellends when someone else drops a catch or fucks up in the field. And anyone who has played cricket knows how bad it feels to drop a catch anyway without some twat giving you shit about it. Ultimately it is totally counter productive and makes people field more badly. I could see how it would cause huge problems in the team if it was going on all the time and was fairly aggressive and you just know Anderson and Broad (and possibly others at the time) do it to excess. Broad is a prick, you can see him doing it from 100 yards away, he doesn't even try to hide the fact that he is being aggressive with his team mates fairly regularly.

Brilliant interview so far on 5live, despite Chiles being a bit of a dick. Still, you only have to listen to KP to know that he is telling the truth.

jay_mcfc said:
Brilliant interview so far on 5live, despite Chiles being a bit of a dick. Still, you only have to listen to KP to know that he is telling the truth.

I saw quite a good quote on whether he's telling the truth...

But the book is Kevin’s reality. And Kevin’s reality isn’t necessarily exactly reality, although certainly you get the feeling that there’s at least an element of truth in everything he writes.

I don't doubt that he believes what he's saying is the truth.

jay_mcfc said:
So he's telling the truth 100% abt everything & everyone else is lying?

Shame it ended this way - don't think we will see KP play cricket in England ever again. Don't think any county will take him on board just for 20/20's the light is on it's way out.

He had a chance to prove people wrong this summer and play county cricket for Surrey but he decided to be the big I am 20/20 player. Shame I still think he had 2/3 years left in him

Not happy that they gave it so much time on BBC radio this morning.

He's a self-obsessed bore and I really couldnt give a monkey's about his book. The long line of current and ex players lining up to rubbish it really says it all to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.