Cricket World Cup 2019 - England World Champions!!!

so so so many if's and but's about the super over and the tie score the thing is england are world champions ???

first thing first WELL PLAYED ENGLAND AND FULLY DESERVE WIN

right am holding my hands up and saying i was wrong, did not fancy england even after the sloppy group games when we finished 3rd and having to beat india and new zealand to get into the semi finals never held any hopes for winning the whole thing ????

but am still in shock it had me gripped for the last 3 hours of the game ? could not keep turning it over anymore for the F1 and tennis it was the cricket having taken a hold and you had the feeling something special was going to happen and boy did it, still can not get my head around the final moments and the 15 runs from 5 ball to take it to a super over in the first place, just about everything was happening from boult over stepping to give england 6 runs to stokes hitting the throw for 4 ?? it was all over for england the ball before and i nearly turn it off but, i dropped the remote on the floor and could not be arsed to pick it up hahahah

so many hero's and stokes will be the talk of the summer and just like ian botham's in 1981 will stay with you for ever
Apart from the fringe players, I cannot think of anyone who didn't contribute something crucial in the tournament in that team.

Jason Roy - 3x century opening stands with Bairstow and the last throw of the game after fluffing one just before
Jonny Bairstow - 3x century opening stands, 500+ runs plus ridiculously good boundary fielding throughout
Joe Root - 500+ runs + 13 catches (a new tournament record for non-keeper)
Eoin Morgan - new record for most sixes in a ODI game
Ben Stokes - yesterday + that quite remarkable catch first day
Buttler - yesterday + trying to remove one of Smith's nads in the semi-final but running him out anyway & much more
Woakes - superb opening bowling spells throughout
Plunkett - yesterday, but I thought pretty consistent line throughout for those tricky middle overs
Archer - unplayable at times. Still young so made a lot of mistakes when the team were struggling earlier on in the tournament. Came back well and when he gets it right is our best bowler. Something tells me De Grandhomme will be unavailable for selection next time NZ meet us (same for the other two who nearly lost their head).
Rashid - not at his best (recovering from shoulder injury?) but a great spell against Australia to stifle their innings in the semi-final
Wood - Joint fastest bowler of the tournament, always weighs in with a wicket.

That's all just from memory.

Last edited:
I remember being at Old Trafford for a test match against Pakistan back in 2001. Michael Vaughan reached his century with a 6 that included 4 overthrows. I don't seem to recall any furore back then over whether he should've only gotten 5 runs, but then I've no idea where he was on the pitch during his second run as the throw came in. However, I have to agree that this seems to be a case of mischief making because I've never seen this issue raised at any point in the past when players get 4 overthrows and surely Stokes isn't the only player to not have crossed during his second run when these instances occur.
The timing of the throw and whether the batters have crossed only comes into consideration when the overthrow goes to the boundary AFTER hitting one of the batsmen. I can't remember, did the ball strike Vaughan on that occasion?

The timing of the throw and whether the batters have crossed only comes into consideration when the overthrow goes to the boundary AFTER hitting one of the batsmen. I can't remember, did the ball strike Vaughan on that occasion?

Ah, ok. I skim read the rule earlier but didn't notice the bit about hitting the batsman. Pretty sure it didn't hit Vaughan that day

I remember being at Old Trafford for a test match against Pakistan back in 2001. Michael Vaughan reached his century with a 6 that included 4 overthrows. I don't seem to recall any furore back then over whether he should've only gotten 5 runs, but then I've no idea where he was on the pitch during his second run as the throw came in. However, I have to agree that this seems to be a case of mischief making because I've never seen this issue raised at any point in the past when players get 4 overthrows and surely Stokes isn't the only player to not have crossed during his second run when these instances occur.

As for the match, I'm still trying to take it all in. We were dead and buried on 2 or 3 occasions and I'm still trying to work out how we managed to dig it out. I've said it before and no doubt this will be a controversial comment on a football forum, but for me there's no greater sport on the planet. That might sound odd when I've only attended a fraction of cricket matches compared to football matches and I'm about to embark on my 30th consecutive season as a City season ticket holder, but while nothing will ever top following City home and away, I don't think football would be half the sport it is without the passion the fans bring to the table. Strip all that down though and cricket wins out for me. Sure, you can get boring passages of play but you can say the same about football. Every ball in cricket is a game in itself and when things do start to happen, it can utterly fascinating just as we witnessed yesterday.

Absolutely this, passages of play in cricket games can be equally as exciting/edge of your seat stuff as football. Who can forget Flintoffs over against Ponting in 2005, incredible drama. Yesterday was bonkers, I was quietly confident when Stokes & Buttler were in even though the RR was rising, then felt it was just getting away from us after that but we kept our noses in it with a boundary every over. Then the incredible two 'sixes' drama before you even get to the super over. I honestly don't think we'll ever witness a more incredible one day cricket match as that.

That crowd noise, wow.

The live pictures showed the fielder throwing the ball and the batsmen had only just started their runs - nowhere near crossing tbh. The umpires just didn't check for it, it seems.
45f098b0-a69e-11e9-bdff-8d8bf0011412
The law states: 'If the boundary results from an overthrow or from the wilful act of a fielder, the runs scored shall be any runs for penalties awarded to either side, and the allowance for the boundary, and the runs completed by the batsmen, together with the run in progress if they had already crossed at the instant of the throw or act.'

"The crucial clause is the last part. A review of the footage of the incident shows clearly that, at the moment the ball was released by the New Zealand fielder, Martin Guptill, Stokes and his partner, Adil Rashid, had not yet crossed for their second run.

"There is potential scope for ambiguity in the wording of the law, given that it references throw or "act", which may pertain to the moment that the ball deflected off Stokes' bat.

Apart from the fringe players, I cannot think of anyone who didn't contribute something crucial in the tournament in that team.

Jason Roy - 3x century opening stands with Bairstow and the last throw of the game after fluffing one just before
Jonny Bairstow - 3x century opening stands, 500+ runs plus ridiculously good boundary fielding throughout
Joe Root - 500+ runs + 13 catches (a new tournament record for non-keeper)
Eoin Morgan - new record for most sixes in a ODI game
Ben Stokes - yesterday + that quite remarkable catch first day
Buttler - yesterday + trying to remove one of Smith's nads in the semi-final but running him out anyway & much more
Woakes - superb opening bowling spells throughout
Plunkett - yesterday, but I thought pretty consistent line throughout for those tricky middle overs
Archer - unplayable at times. Still young so made a lot of mistakes when the team were struggling earlier on in the tournament. Came back well and when he gets it right is our best bowler. Something tells me De Grandhomme will be unavailable for selection next time NZ meet us (same for the other two who nearly lost their head).
Rashid - not at his best (recovering from shoulder injury?) but a great spell against Australia to stifle their innings in the semi-final
Wood - Joint fastest bowler of the tournament, always weighs in with a wicket.

That's all just from memory.

the team and the chance of winning the whole thing change when moeen ali was took out of the team and replaced with plunkett, and yesterday he was a hero and bowled so well to keep them down to 241 in the later overs, buts its a team sport and win lose or draw and stand together

The way I see it (with my very limited cricket knowledge) the rules should allow 2 runs plus 4. If he hadn’t hit the ball he still would have the 2 runs, if the fielder had hit the wicket (he was not quick to take the wicket) he still would have 2 runs. You are not run out from the moment the balls leaves the fielder’s hands so 2 runs! So rules or no rules 2 plus 4 runs is just.

The law states: 'If the boundary results from an overthrow or from the wilful act of a fielder, the runs scored shall be any runs for penalties awarded to either side, and the allowance for the boundary, and the runs completed by the batsmen, together with the run in progress if they had already crossed at the instant of the throw or act.'

"The crucial clause is the last part. A review of the footage of the incident shows clearly that, at the moment the ball was released by the New Zealand fielder, Martin Guptill, Stokes and his partner, Adil Rashid, had not yet crossed for their second run.

"There is potential scope for ambiguity in the wording of the law, given that it references throw or "act", which may pertain to the moment that the ball deflected off Stokes' bat.
Yes it might, hopefully the ICC will clarify. To me it reads as 'wilful act of a fielder' so not relevant to anyone else in my interpretation. Some of us are wondering (in later posts) whether it is a clause to cover things like deflecting the ball or kicking the ball rather than something that comes specifically from a throw. So for instance a throw comes in, another fielder tries to deflect the ball onto the stumps with his/her foot and it then runs for four 'overthrows'. The 'timing' point will be the second person, not the first.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.