Cricket World Cup 2019 - England World Champions!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by neel, 11 May 2019.

1. BlindEyeSeesAll

BlindEyeSeesAll

The final was the first cricket match I've watched for decades because of it not being shown live on any terrestrial channels, and I refuse to put any money into sky's pockets.

Used to love it when I was a kid - got to watch all the matches- played the game because if it , and went to test matches with my mates. It's not rocket science, make it available on TV and kids will want to play it.

BTW What's with all that playing shite music between overs ffs, thought that was crap.

2. allblackcitizen

allblackcitizen

As did every team. NZ actually managed their way through the group stage very professionally.

And yet England lost to Sri Lanka, Pakistan and Australia. I actually don't think any side shone particularly above the others. England probably are the best one day side at the moment, but I don't think that superiority was on display in this particular tournament, and they got very lucky in the final, which I've not seen anyone seriously dispute.

3. MillionMilesAway

MillionMilesAway

I agree with that. No outstanding team.
    It's a much more interesting game when batsmen have to bat and bowlers have a chance, and in both innings rather than there being a big change part way through.

ADVERTISEMENT

4. blueinsa

blueinsa

This.

I heard the pitch at Lords described as a poor one but on the contrary, it was exactly what cricket at this level needs.

5. TheRemainsOfTheDave

TheRemainsOfTheDave

It's for the kids, I guess. Suppose it's better than 6 hours of Sweet Caroline or Barmy Army, Barmy Army, Barmy Army ...

6. ancoats

ancoats

am not criticizing the team ? its the board ECB in what they do for test cricket in england and its very little, test cricket is not dying and crowds in england are way up from what they used to be for the first 3 or 4 days, better grounds corporate fun for kids and a very good day out but forget coming to see a quick result its test cricket

purists or members will always be on the thin side in test cricket its the norm ?? back to the team setup and opening pair and its down to keeping cook so long as number one and we banked on him far to long and should have blood more players in the role, even if it meant losing then its progress and learning and give somebody time in the middle, its simple the the ECB hate change and when somebody with a bit of talent comes our way its done and dusted and set in stone for years and years even to a point of burning him out

cook was used for so much cricket it got stale and he went down hill so fast because he was on fire at the start of his career and the job was done, but the ECB never do the right thing when your at the top of your game and ask somebody else to challenge them and give them a chance and the other a rest

golden boy jofra archer will be the same he will be asked to play all forms of cricket for the next 10 years and everything is all right with the bowling ?? yes there is going to be a gap in the next year or so when anderson and broad pack up then we have woakes and stokes who swing the ball and wood and archer are who are fast and then maybe the curran brothers but thats its and for spin well just don't look and part time spin is used in moeen ali

7. BlindEyeSeesAll

BlindEyeSeesAll

Yeah, can't stand either tbh.

Maybe I should just stay away from modern cricket as it just appears to be be designed for an audience with the attention span of a gnat.

8. jimharri

jimharri

You obviously have a bee in your bonnet about that. Fair enough. Let me ask you a question, if you don't mind. The All Blacks teams in recent years have featured a number of lads who hail from Polynesia. And have proved worthy of the shirt. Were they wrong to leave their home islands to further their lives (sporting and/or economic) in New Zealand?

9. M18CTID

M18CTID

I don't believe test cricket is dying in this country to be honest. Elsewhere, yes, but over here you still get bumper crowds for most test matches as well as for the shorter formats of the game, and from memory the boom in test crowds started just before the 2005 Ashes during the summer of 2004 when we played test series against New Zealand and the West Indies. I referenced a test match I attended in 2001 at Old Trafford against Pakistan earlier in this thread and on the Saturday the ground probably wasn't much more than half full but just a few years later test match crowds increased dramatically (and fuck me, so did the ticket prices!). Things might have tailed off a little in the meantime but test cricket is still very popular with the public in England.

TheRemainsOfTheDave likes this.
  10. TheRemainsOfTheDave

TheRemainsOfTheDave

I was at that game, thanks for reminding me. Final day was quite full.