Cricket World Cup 2019 - England World Champions!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by neel, 11 May 2019.

1. Southbanken

Southbanken

Whilst i agree to an extent on Cook being given too long at the top, and agree that the ECB are not perfect, Englands all round bowling attack has possibly never looked stronger since 2005. Even in your own list, Jofra, Woakes, Stokes, Wood, Curran and Curran - how many quicks do you think we need? Agreed that spin is lacking but England have frequently lacked a world class spinner due to the conditions we have, hardly the ECBs fault.

2. allblackcitizen

allblackcitizen

I don't really. It's his choice, and it's pretty obvious why he would make it i.e. English cricketers can expect to earn sums their NZ counterparts can only dream about. From my point of view as a born Kiwi, of course he made the wrong one - he could have made a huge difference to top level NZ cricket. Our loss. His choice. It is slightly annoying that English cricket with its comparatively vast resources in personnel and finance still have to recruit players who objectively should be playing under different flags, Archer being the latest case in point and almost too many Saffers to remember. Archer would make a huge difference to the W Indies at the moment.

As to the AB's, again its about personal choice I suppose. In years gone by NZ coaches would trawl the Pacific islands and offer inducements for players to switch allegiance and flags (e.g. Frank Bunce) and for young players to move to NZ clubs. That doesn't really happen now. The NZ population has increased by almost 50% in the last 30 years and its mainly due to immigration of pacific islanders for economic reasons. Most of the recent AB players of Fijian, Tongan, Samoan origin are second or even now third generation New Zealanders, and identify as New Zealanders.

3. ancoats

ancoats

its the options that we need on tours other than swing bowlers ?? with lack of swing with the kookaburra ball you need fast and bounce, also spin is another key slot and the lack of anything other than moeen ali and rashid what else is there ?? yes this summer is looking good in the ashes and we have now speed and bounce with archer and wood but we all know it will be swing that wins out and anderson and broad if fit plays leave 2 place for spin and bounce

right now i think can name the line up for the ashes and england will go with roy and root opening the bat

roy
    root
    bairstow
    stokes
    butler
    moeen
    woakes
    broad
    anderson
    archer

ADVERTISEMENT

4. TheRemainsOfTheDave

TheRemainsOfTheDave

I feel that's a bit unfair on Ben Stokes, saying it was pretty obviously down to money - unless he's said that of course. He didn't take the game up properly until he arrived in the UK so I assume he had little affiliation to NZ cricket at that point and he was building a nice career when his folks decided to move back down under in 2013 by which time he had already been spotted by the ECB and "in the system" having been picked to play for England. Looks just like circumstances lead him our way, on this occasion.

5. MillionMilesAway

MillionMilesAway

Very charitable of you to have England play with 10! Presumably there's a batsman missing at around no. 3

6. allblackcitizen

allblackcitizen

Maybe. Money is bound to be a factor though, and I wouldn't condemn him for that. Kiwi cricketers are notoriously badly paid by NZ cricket. The top players obviously get to supplement their earnings from NZ cricket with IPL and other 20/20 contracts, English county cricket etc. Personally i find it odd that a kiwi who came to the UK at age 12 with kiwi parents would opt for England. Different if he came much younger or his parents were English.

It's funny, most of my cricket playing compadres, and I have lots as I've played for 3-4 teams in recent years, really don't like him and I'm always saying well give him back then!

7. cibaman

cibaman

There's no chance of Root opening while he's captain. He won't bat at three because he says he needs time after captaining the team in the field to re-focus on batting.

8. ancoats

ancoats

hahahaah just counted them hahahaha

ok pick somebody to bat in the top 5

9. Onholiday(somemightsay)

Onholiday(somemightsay)

Someone who pushes Root down with a bit of luck ;-)

10. ancoats

ancoats

James Vince or Ben Foakes even Keaton Jennings could come back in ???