Crimes Committed in Chippies

I must admit, I hate skin left on fish. If I were Prime Minister it's one of the first thing I'd ban. It seems to be a regional thing. When I lived darn sarf for a bit, there was only one chippy in the whole town that didn't do it like that, and that was a northern guy who ran it.

I have to say the average chippy in Greater Manchester is pretty crap. We had some fish from one of our locals the other day that was rank - not fit to give to a dog in my opinion.

I also prefer chips fried in dripping, but that's another thing that's hard to find round here. There's a shop in Bridge Street, Ramsbottom that does it though. There used to be one in Gorton that was absolutely mint, but it probably ain't there any more!

Ric said:
I disagree wholeheartedly on the last point. Cheese and onion pies, for the win.

Cheese and onion pie is the best pie ever created. Especially as it has the added bonus of not containing hoofs ,noses or any other badoingers!
Aussies cant get their head round it....cheeeeeese....with no meat??????????????

Cheese and onion pie, chips and gravy...heaven!

BrianW said:
I must admit, I hate skin left on fish. If I were Prime Minister it's one of the first thing I'd ban. It seems to be a regional thing. When I lived darn sarf for a bit, there was only one chippy in the whole town that didn't do it like that, and that was a northern guy who ran it.

I have to say the average chippy in Greater Manchester is pretty crap. We had some fish from one of our locals the other day that was rank - not fit to give to a dog in my opinion.

I also prefer chips fried in dripping, but that's another thing that's hard to find round here. There's a shop in Bridge Street, Ramsbottom that does it though. There used to be one in Gorton that was absolutely mint, but it probably ain't there any more!

There is a chippy not far from me that does this, i think. Whatever they are fried in tastes 10x better than the usual shite.

PistonBlue said:
Pukka Pies? WTF, if it ain't Hollands don't even bother.

Battered sausages, just plain wrong.

Pickled Eggs, what the hell is that all about.

Peas that are not properly mushy. Fail.

Years ago was dating a girl from ramsbottom who's surname was Holland and she mentioned her parents ran a local family business. Fortunately I managed to get a full refund on the ring when i discovered it was a couple of chemist shops.

Pickled eggs are an integral part of any chippie IMO, but one should never make the mistake of eating one, they are for decorative purposes only. The label should be completely faded aswell.

Didsbury Dave said:
As the Nigel Slater of the chip shop world, I hereby pronounce the following as crimes which should be punished with death:

Fish, chips and gravy
Having no salt or vinegar
Food from any another nation
Chips reheated from lunchtime
Microwaved pies/puddings
Margarine on the bread
Cheese and onion pies

Anybody care to disagree?
drowning the chips in vinegar, particularly after I shout stop!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.