Cristiano Ronaldo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup but our commercial partners will probably give us a few extra bob for signing one of the two best players in the world. No doubt about that...

Also it will grow the fan base at the youth level. Lots more kids in City shirts.
Commercial contracts are already agreed so that's a no -starter unless he stays long term and those contracts are renegotiated. Which is unlikely given his age.

Go through any historical data you like, shorts sales don't significantly increase due to players joining, the only thing that changes is what name goes on the back. Additionally, city get a tiny percentage (7.5-12%) of the profit on any shirts sold so don't make any significant dough from it.

The rags are the top sellers with 3.25m per year, Madrid are close by and saw no downturn in sales when Ronaldo left. Juve sold a total of 500k Ronaldo jerseys the season he joined, but these weren't additional sales, just sales with his name on the back. It's the biggest lie in football

Question is do we think we could get Haaland next year too? Since Ronaldo is only a 2 year contract.
I think we will be in for him but won't get him. A season or two is a long time in football, though, so by then a whole other set of potential forwards will be coming through.

How does it ‘significantly weaken’ us? We were 2 slightly different team selections away from winning everything last season, won the league as comfortably as its possible to do and have added Grealish.

Personally I don’t mind if the feller turns up or doesn't although, on balance, I’d probably prefer not. Not because of an visceral hatred of the bloke but because it seems to be a knee jerk reaction and goes against the currently successful transfer policies we have. That’s to say the type of player, their temperament, being part of the collective and their age profile.
It smacks of desperation and short termism and is seemingly being driven by Pep and his desire for a CL to cement his legacy. City will be here long after Pep and we need to guard against becoming another United when he leaves.
Really like this post, however, we did try for the longer term signing in Kane, and this failed. Bearing this in mind, the signing of Ronaldo, although short term, gives us some breathing space to decide who the long term replacement for Sergio should be. So, not a change in transfer policy, just a one off opportunity presenting itself. Hopefully.

Genuinely hope the people at the club are prepared to deal with the announcement from a marketing perspective. I thought PSG did a poor job with Messi, and it certainly can’t be less than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.