Cruise ships

My Mums been on three.
Alaskan cruise
European cruise
Caribbean cruise
I personally don't get the Caribbean one, but I would think about doing one of the Viking cruises.

Done a couple transatlantic, the med, Greek Islands, Caribbean with Celebrity and Royal Caribbean. Last cruise was with a company that escapes me but the 100,000t ship listed sharply about 20° and back for no good reason when we were dining. Glasses and cutlery all over the floor, swimming pools half emptied with the water entering the stairwells. We were finally told that their was a computer fault that caused the rudders to fight each other, or something!

All the ships I have been on deal in dollars so not so good at the moment due to the exchange rate. Don't forget to budget for the tips that they automatically add to your bill, and don't be surprised that the staff expect a tip each time you order something as well, which is discretionary.

The companies do their best to stop you buying booze for the cabin on the trip . Each time you embark your bags go through an x-ray machine. If they spot booze they will confiscate it.

Nah, all that deck quoits and Pissed eye talian captains waving to last night's muff on the shore whilst steering, put me right off...

On my list to do. So many options though so want to take my time and book the right one.

Try to evaluate what you are looking for from a cruise @Pablo1 with regards to ambience and entertainment. And also the the sights you will visit. Is this itinerary suitable for the places you would like to see.

Some examples on offer are the Cunard line affording elagance and sophistication but somewhat on the formal side. Still affording the opportunity to let down your hair. And the Royal Carribean lines which are very much entertainment orientated.

A good UK site to frequent that will give you all the information you could ever need can be found at cruise.co.uk
Forums and ship reviews are there by the maritime bucketful and you can also book direct through them.

Some good value to be had from the Italian lines like MSC and whilst their ships are glamourous they do nor necessarily cater for the brit market. P and O lines price in pounds shilling and pence and are very much Brit orientated.

There are some tremendously good prices out there at the moment and I would advocate buying in with around two to three months to go for the best deals. A good fare for example if you enjoy quality and romance is on the 14 day return Queen Mary liner to New york and back in November.

Fourteen days of sophistication and class with the most ecqsuitite of food and ambience for £850.
I expect this to go down to £750 shortly and then bottom out.

So fourteen days of the finer things in life with top food and entertainment for pennies.
They have an English style pub on board called the Golden Lion which we were regulars of that did brilliant fish and chips and mushy peas to order. I found Cunard lines to be pricey on board but we did not take a drinks package which are becoming more prevalent now.

Bottle of house wine with our evening meal was around 25 dollars a bottle and very palatable
Measures of shorts are in the American optics of 40ml so nearly a double and with mixers were around the 5.50 dollar mark

Queen Victoria and Elizabeth make up the other offing's from Cunard which incidentally are now American owned and registered in the Bahamas for money saving purposes.

On Victoria our favourite haunt was the Lion pub and Hemispheres for the night time disco.
And they had a resident band that played all the seventies hits and donna summer and the commodores.

Speaking of the commodores before dinner you can have canopays and hours des overies and martini cocktails.
Here you can can chat shit with other like minded passengers before wobbling off to enjoy your evening meal.

I remember one night we were ready to go down and the orchestra sat next to us was playing the theme from Schindler's List. As I stood there with my Martini to hand shaken not stirred I did my best to imbibe of this orchestral delight vocationally nodding my head in appreciation and pretending to be deep in thought

We met two germane on das boot called Dagmar und Martin
Martin liked table tennis and constantly he would as he liked to say challenge me to a game of ping pong.
Dagmar like to spleep a lot especially after she had eaten which was on the hour every hour.

Back to the prices although they are somewhat on the expensive side they do now operate a drink package and for some this may be worth the effort.

Cunard are one of the few lines that actually allow you to take alcohol on board.
Most do not and monitor this with a very very firm hand.
Cunard's policy at every port of call was to allow a litre a piece on board for imbibement in your stateroom.

Victoria has two pools near to each other and both were incredulous.
As we like a slurp by the pool in the sun we would buy two and pour one which evened out the financial equilibriam.
Buy a few drinks drink and enjoy and then go to the other pool stopping off at your cabin on route to top up with healthy lashings of Bombay and tonic. On subsequent ships we utilized the drinks packages which were tremendous value

Cunard has afternoon tea dances but we didn't bother dancing and just had the butties and cakes instead.
So classy and sophisticated borne of an era long gone.

Royal Caribbean line was more entertainment and cabaret infused but still pretty classy and fun.
I think the Royal Caribbean lines are classed as four star but remain a sterling choice.

If any one is thinking of cruising then give it a go as it represents very good value for money and the service is way and above what you will experience from any hotel chains.

All cruising incurs tipping and tipping is a very contentious issue deserved of thousands of pages all in of own right.
This is covered immensely on the cruise.co.uk forums and lots of the yuppies end up squabbling over it even their mods.

Certain global countries abhor the practise to tip with Nimrods Australia being one. We all have different etiquette and America for example would think you rude if you did not tip because it's so entrenched into their day to day existence.

Tips are priced by person daily and added to your stateroom account but can be removed.
I understood that to tip is to reward someone for stellar work and care that went far and above that what was originally anticipated or expected for normal day to day service .How then can you tip in advance of something that you have not yet received. Plus I never did feel comfortable being told what to tip.

We withdrew on one ship from inclusive tipping and asked for envelopes to tip at our own discretion near the end of the cruise. We advised Roger the cabin boy and our wait staff of our intention and they were all happy to accommodate. Needless to say we tipped at the end of the cruise and all was well once more.

On another ship we paid for our tips with our cruise booking in advance.
And then get this the sea dogs posted a tip envelope under our door thanking us for our custom. This envelope was a tip for a tip if our service was better than what we had already tipped for three months earlier when we originally booked. The tip on this occasion they they received was not to eat yellow snow !

Anchors away and splice that mainbrace ship mates !

Last edited:
Try to evaluate what it is that you may aspire to from a cruise @Pablo1 with regards to ambience and entertainment.
And also the the places you will visit play great importance.
Is this itinary suitable and somewhere you would like to see.

I cruised a lot in the Navy but that was more your working holiday and putting my life on the line for my fellow man but I dont like to talk about it so I wont.Not tonight anyway.

Some examples on offer are the amazing Cunard line which are elagance and sophistication personified but somwhat on the formal side.
Still offering oppertunity to let down your hair though.
And the Royal carribean lines which are very much entertainment oriantated.

A good UK site to frequent that will give you all the information you could ever need can be found at cruise.co.uk
Forums and ship reveiews are there by the maritime bucketful and you can also book direct through them.

Some good value to be had from the Italian lines like MSC and whilst their ships are glamourous they do nor nessasaraliy cater for the brit market.
P and O lines price in pounds shilling and pence and are very much Brit oriantated.

There are some tremendously good prices out there at the moment and I would advocate buying in with around two to three months to go for the best deals available.A good fare for example if you enjoy quality and romance is on the 14 day return Queen Mary liner to New york and back in November.
Fourteen days of utter sophistication and class with the most eqsuitite of food and ambience for a mere £850.I expect this to go down to £750 shortly and then bottom out.
So fourteen days of the fine things in life with inceredulous food around the clock and entertainment second to none.
They have an English style pub on board called the golden lion which we were regulars that did brilliant fish and chips and mushy peas to order.
I found Cunard lines to be pricey on board but we did not take a drinks package which are becoming more prevalant now.
Bottle of house wine with our evening meal was around 25 dollars a bottle and very pallatible
Measures of shorts are in the American optics of 40ml so nearly a double and with mixers were around the 5.50 dollar mark

Queen Victoria and Elizabeth make up the other offings from Cunard which incidently are now American owned and registered in the Bahamas for money saving purposes.
On Victoria our favourite haunt was again the golden lion and hemispheres for the night time disco.
Have to say the atmosphere in there was electrique magnifique if you know what I mean.
And they had a resident band that played all the seventies hits and doanna summer and the commodores.
Speaking of the commodores before dinner you can have capopays and hours des overies and coctails martini mais oui
Here you can can chat shit with other like minded passengers before toddling off to enjoy your splendid evening meal.
I remember one night we were ready to go down and the orchestra sat next to us was playing the theme from shindlers list.
As I stood there with my Martina to hand shake not stirred I did my best to imbibe of this orchestrial delight ocationaly nodding my head in appreciation and pretending to be deep in thought on the all that this sentient life gives us.

We met two german pals on das boot called dagmar und Martin
Martin liked table tennis and constantly he would as he liked to say challenge me to a game of ping pong.
Dagmar like to spleep a lot especially after she had eaten which was on the hour every hour.

Back to the prices although they are somewhat on the expensive side they do now operate a drink package and for some this may be worth the effort.
Cunard are one of the few lines that actually allow you to take alcholol on board.
Most do not and moniter this with a very very firm hand.
Cunards policy at every port of call was to allow a litre a piece on board for imbibement in your stateroom.

Borne of the shires of Rozzendorf and merely of working class stock I soon worked out ways to enjoy the atmospherics for less.
Victoria has two pools near to each other and both were incredulous.
As we like a slurp by the pool in the sun we would buy two and pour one which evened out the financial equilibriam.
Buy a few drinks drink and enjoy and then go to the other pool stopping off at your cabin on route to top up with a proper healthy lashing of bombay and tonic.

On subsequent ships we utilized the drinks packages which were tremedous value

Cunard has afternoon tea dances but we didnt bother dancing and just had the butties tea and cakes.
So classy and sohisticated and borne of an era long gone and sunken to the annals of time immorial.

Royal carribean line was more entertainment and caberet infused but still pretty classy and fun fun fun !
I think the royal carribean lines are classed as four star but remain a sterling choice.

If any one is thinking of cruising then give it a go as it represents very good value for money and the service is way and above what you will experiance from any hotel chains.
All cruising incurs tipping and tipping is a very contentious issue deserved of thousands of pages all in it's own right.
This is covered immensly on the cruise.co.uk forums and lots of the yuippies end up sqaubling and falling out over it even their mods.

Certain global countries abhor the practise to tip with Nimrods Australia being one.
We all have different etiquette and America for example would think you rude if you did not tip so entrenched into their day to day existence it is.
Tips are priced by person daily and added to your stateroom account but can be removed.
I understood that to tip is to reward someone for stellar work and care that went far and above that what was originaly anticipated or expected for normal day to day service .
How then can you tip in advance of something that you have not yet received.
Plus I never did feel comfortable being told what to tip.

We withdrew on one ship from inclusive tipping and asked for envoplopes to tip at our own discretion near the end of the cruise.
We advised Roger the cabin boy and our wait staff of our intention and they were all happy to accomadate.
Needless to say we tipped away at the end of the cruise and all was well in little Brittain once more.

On another ship we paid for our tips with our cruise booking in advance.
And then get this the scurlious sea dogs posted a tip envelope under our door thanking us for our custom.
This envelope was a tip for a tip if our service was better than what we had already tipped for three months earlier when we originally booked.
The tip on this occation they they received was not to eat yellow snow !

Anchors away and splice that mainbrace ship mates !

Queen Vic

2zfo47q.jpg

Indie flow rider Royal carribean
Took me 10 days to completely master this mo-foe !
And the wet suit nipped me a lot.
After didnner we talked the talk about surfing and catching a big one :

4t4yds.jpg
I enjoyed that, thanks.

We've done 2 so far, both on the same ship as we loved it so much the first time. We've only cruised with NCL so far but love the laid back approach, met some really nice people from all over that we are still in contact with now.

Norwegian Epic. Western Med and Iberian Peninsula.

I get bored on holiday, I also hate being in the same place but there is that much to do onboard along with loads of different restaurants and bars etc you never feel like you are even on the ship. The shows etc are also really good. Best bit for me is, get off the ship in the morning, do a day in say Naples (Pompei, Vesuvius etc) then get back onboard, eat loads, drink loads, watch a show, go to bed then wake up in Rome etc the next day, all the travel generally is overnight apart from sea days.

We've booked to go to Bermuda on the NCL Breakaway as part of our honeymoon and I can't wait. They often run promos for free unlimited alcohol which also makes it seem cheap onboard.

Do they not just feel like a giant floating airport departure lounge? Thats the impression ive always got

I noticed a previous poster referred to a cruise ship as a "boat", this is incorrect. When deciding if a vessel is a ship or a boat it is worth remembering that :-

ships can carry boats but boats are unable to carry ships.

just sayin' ;-)

Not at all 88 and that was my first thoughts before travelling.
The bigger ships like the independence of the seas even has a shopping street a couple of footie pitches long with bars and restaurants.

This particular Ship had amazing facilities including a gymnasium and even a large size ice skating rink.
Careful you don't get lost.

Some cruisers prefer more of an intimate feel with boats carrying 2000 passengers or less.
Each style of boat and each company have different things to offer the traveler and most tend to do it reasonably well
Berlitz guide grade and review each ship giving the traveler an idea of the style and ambience before boarding.
An example below with these too ships being as different as chalk and cheese.
Dyor

http://www.cruise.co.uk/berlitz-guides/royal-caribbean-cruises/independence-of-the-seas/

http://www.cruise.co.uk/berlitz-guides/royal-caribbean-cruises/queen victoria/

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.