Crystal Palace Thread - 2021/22

So England got knocked out the tournament with the Kane tactic going to shit and we beat Chelsea when they had Drogba taking corners. So ultimately 2 ridiculous decisions, irrespective of how well they could kick a ball.

Because a game of football is usually decided simply on the basis of who is taking corners?

Other than say Burnley v Newcastle, I am struggling to see that being the deciding factor.

It’s like the people who used to go on about Gareth Barry being done by Ozil in the 2010 World Cup. Overlooking the fact he was the only one attempting to get back and he was slow left-footed DM covering RB.

We got knocked out by Iceland because they worked harder and they had a formation that suited their players better than the one we used for ours.

Rooney, Dier and Alli in a 433 when we had players better suited to possession football on the bench.

Because a game of football is usually decided simply on the basis of who is taking corners?

Other than say Burnley v Newcastle, I am struggling to see that being the deciding factor.

It’s like the people who used to go on about Gareth Barry being done by Ozil in the 2010 World Cup. Overlooking the fact he was the only one attempting to get back and he was slow left-footed DM covering RB.

We got knocked out by Iceland because they worked harder and they had a formation that suited their players better than the one we used for ours.

Rooney, Dier and Alli in a 433 when we had players better suited to possession football on the bench.
We knocked out because our manager didn’t have clue which was demonstrated by him getting Harry Kane to take corners.

You think they did well?
I think Robson was agonisingly unlucky in 1986, losing to the craziness/genius of Maradona. We were shite in Euro ‘88 but a penalty shootout away from the World
Cup final in ‘90 after being the better team against West Germany.

I think Hoddle did well in France ‘98, was hamstrung by Beckham’s red card, cheated by Sol Campbell’s disallowed goal and was beaten on penalties.

Eriksson suffered from two catastrophic errors in the 2002 World Cup quarter final against Brazil. Had we won, we’d have been favourites. In Euro 2004, we were THE team that everyone was talking about until Rooney got injured and Portugal beat us on penalties.

None of them did brilliantly well but then again, none of them made a **** of the job by losing a last 16 tie to Iceland with Harry Kane on corners.

I think Robson was agonisingly unlucky in 1986, losing to the craziness/genius of Maradona. We were shite in Euro ‘88 but a penalty shootout away from the World
Cup final in ‘90 after being the better team against West Germany.

I think Hoddle did well in France ‘98, was hamstrung by Beckham’s red card, cheated by Sol Campbell’s disallowed goal and was beaten on penalties.

Eriksson suffered from two catastrophic errors in the 2002 World Cup quarter final against Brazil. Had we won, we’d have been favourites. In Euro 2004, we were THE team that everyone was talking about until Rooney got injured and Portugal beat us on penalties.

None of them did brilliantly well but then again, none of them made a **** of the job by losing a last 16 tie to Iceland with Harry Kane on corners.
Of them all I think Hoddle was by far the most advanced and the best but I think rose tinted specs for the rest. Bobby Robson had a great Italia 90 but the 86 team were overreaching, not his fault perhaps. The rest were if anything underachieving. Hodgson was no worse than the norm, its a job that nobody can do well in. He was a safe pair of hands and cheap probably, after what they paid out with Capello and probably his translators

Be interesting to see where Crystal Palace goes on from here. Always felt they are stable in the PL mostly due to Hodgson's practical approach and getting the most out of players like Zaha.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.