Cup draws conspiracy - fact or fiction?

scousemanc

As I had an extra hour today, I did a bit of research on City and United cup draws to see if I could explode a myth.
I analysed all the League Cup and FA Cup draws over the last 3 seasons, 15/16, 16/17 and 17/18 to date. In total, 31 matches covered (statistically significant?).

The results are shown below and I think, quite remarkable.

United/City - Home v Away draws
United Home = 56%
City Home = 20%

United/City - lower league opposition
United lower league opposition = 69%
City lower league opposition = 20%

So United have roughly 3 times as many home draws as City and also play lower league teams roughly 3 times more frequently than City. Draw your own conclusions.

Everyone seems to conveniently forget when we had a remarkable run of successive home draws. Think it was in the Mancini era.

I went through their league cup games up to 2004 and from 40 draws they are at approx 50% of lower league opposition. Not sure we're relevant to such a big period as we obviously weren't hated up to 2008 so there would be no need to be hit with draws. it's about 60% of home draws in same period for them.

When it come to draws against top opposition, like current "top 6", without semis, they played 6 times against top teams and they were 5 times at home.

I went through their league cup games up to 2004 and from 40 draws they are at approx 50% of lower league opposition. Not sure we're relevant to such a big period as we obviously weren't hated up to 2008 so there would be no need to be hit with draws. it's about 60% of home draws in same period for them.

As the league cup had seeded for lower league opposition and city had been a lower seed prior to 2004, it doesn't really mean much.

Why just compare City and United? Obsessed.

I don't think there's consipracy there tbh. If I'd be suspicious about draws, it would probably be Champions League ones, we tend to get best teams from their respective seed groups pretty much each time.

If we draw the rags in any cup competition if it’s a straight knock out we are away, if it’s a two legged we are at home first, that’s a certainty, I don’t have to look at the stats for that I know from years of experience, I also have a theory of my own that someone could check, that city draw more sides with the letters beginning with L M or N I think about 70 %

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.