Cycling Advice

Thanks. Got the same email as you earlier. Not really a surprise given it trundles through each of the 10 Gtr M/cr towns.

Anyway, it will free up some extra training time for you ;-)
Yes I can do a last long training session that weekend instead now, was contemplating running 5k after it but don’t have to now.

cyclists are just weird at times, probably the main contact point after the saddle and we treat our equipment like shit, I was outraged when I saw the price of the yellow shimano cleats on Thursday they were wanting £16 almost everywhere, I was so outraged I bought a new pair of pedals just to get the cleats.
I've just ordered a pair of SPD's for my hybrid. They should be arriving tomorrow with any luck. I'm hoping I can get them set up and go for a short spin tomorrow evening.

Use the cycle path !!

We have a duel carriageway that I use most days, it has a nice wide ( about 5 metre ) in very good condition cycle path on both sides of the dual carriageway. It is well used by most cyclists from your serious road cyclist, to mountain bike to your family groups. But for some reason there are a few serious road cyclist that like putting their lives on the line by using the duel carriageway. Cars have to change lanes to allow room for them and I have seen a few hand gestures made towards this cyclists. Now I was a serious cyclist back in the late 80's early 90's and when I use this road it was a single lane speed track , not a nice road surface, along side a firework factory. We would have loved a nice 5 metre wide cycle path.

Why do some cyclists ignore the cycling paths and use the roads , is it just to wind the motorist up when the cycle path is empty, and he rides on the road forcing all the cars into the outside lane. I really dont understand the thinking of not using a very well maintained, with a very good surface cycle path, nice and wide.

Use the cycle path !!

We have a duel carriageway that I use most days, it has a nice wide ( about 5 metre ) in very good condition cycle path on both sides of the dual carriageway. It is well used by most cyclists from your serious road cyclist, to mountain bike to your family groups. But for some reason there are a few serious road cyclist that like putting their lives on the line by using the duel carriageway. Cars have to change lanes to allow room for them and I have seen a few hand gestures made towards this cyclists. Now I was a serious cyclist back in the late 80's early 90's and when I use this road it was a single lane speed track , not a nice road surface, along side a firework factory. We would have loved a nice 5 metre wide cycle path.

Why do some cyclists ignore the cycling paths and use the roads , is it just to wind the motorist up when the cycle path is empty, and he rides on the road forcing all the cars into the outside lane. I really dont understand the thinking of not using a very well maintained, with a very good surface cycle path, nice and wide.

I hear you but you can’t go full beans on a cycle path regardless of how well maintained it is.

I hear you but you can’t go full beans on a cycle path regardless of how well maintained it is.

So going full beans on your training ride is better than being safe on a very well maintained cycle path. Still that would be pleasing to your partner as to why you weren't using the cycle path on her hospital visits to you ;)
Personally going full beans on a training ride on a very busy duel carriageway, drivers having to break as cars all try and move to the outside lane is daft and dangerous.
And why do it in the rush hour ? There are plenty of roads that dont have cycling paths but when there is one I think it should used.
I have no problem with TT's doing it as signs are put out with marshalls etc.

PS I fully understand you cant go full beans on a cycle path, I just dont think it paints cyclist on a good light when they dont use a new purpose built path.

Last edited:
I kind of agree. There are so very few cycle paths where you can ride flat out on an out-and-out road bike. I was lucky when I lived and worked in Scotland in that I had a super smooth, wide cycle path pretty much door to door the whole 5 miles to work.

Having said that, risking your life on an open road where most vehicles are doing 70mph is a bit nuts. Even country lanes where vehicles can do 60mph, there is a serious risk factor during busy times, poor weather and low visibility. The inherent lack of respect for other road users in this country across the board, from drivers in their tin bubble, to cyclist ignoring the Highway Code often makes the roads dangerous for all users.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.