Cycling Advice

First wet ride to work this morning. Just a light shower, but enough to justify wearing my windproof jacket. It's a nightmare working out what to wear, and what to stick in my bag. No problem with a sunny forecast; just a thermal top/short sleeve jersey with shorts for the morning, and just short sleeve jersey and shorts for the way home. It's going to be even worse when it starts getting cold.

It's been p*ssing it down for most of the afternoon, so I'm expecting the roads to be proper wet even though the rain has tailed off a bit. I haven't got mudguards on my bike so my feet and ass are going to get a soaking, no doubt. I know what I'm buying later.

Anybody looking for a decent road bike? I am contemplating selling or swapping my Kinesis Aithein Road Bike (59cm) for a decent spec Gravel Bike if anybody has one for sale? Something 55 - 59cm would work

Attachments

• C4447FCB-97A1-4F71-B9F8-5CFAF491A997.jpeg
    C4447FCB-97A1-4F71-B9F8-5CFAF491A997.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
Cycling advice...... yea wear something bright ! Now that the dark rainy days and nights are coming in make it easier to be seen.
Of all the good things team sky have done for cycling the one really bad thing in my eyes was to wear black. It's ok on closed roads etc but with club cyclists following suit I think its mad.
As a cyclist from the 80/90's we use to wear bright clothing, my wind jacket was like this !! Wore it on ever autumn/winter ride :)

20201003_122523.jpg

Cycling advice...... yea wear something bright ! Now that the dark rainy days and nights are coming in make it easier to be seen.
Of all the good things team sky have done for cycling the one really bad thing in my eyes was to wear black. It's ok on closed roads etc but with club cyclists following suit I think its mad.
As a cyclist from the 80/90's we use to wear bright clothing, my wind jacket was like this !! Wore it on ever autumn/winter ride :)

View attachment 3281
I've just bought one of these for my commute.

Proviz also do some cracking jackets and other bit's and pieces which I may stick on my Christmas list this year.

I've also invested in a new set of lights.

Both USB rechargeable.

My soft shell jacket is bright yellow with reflective detailing, and my waterproof has reflective patches on the sleeves. I also have reflective heels on my shoes.

Basically, I'm giving drivers zero excuses not to see me.

I checked the weather (Met Office) for the local area last night when I was prepping my kit for work and 0600 was fine, if a little chilly, and 1700 was </= 60% light rain. More than happy with that. Checked again this morning and no change to that.

I could have just gone with my soft shell jacket, but just on the off chance I put my freshly reproofed waterproof jacket in my bag, and I'm glad I did because I've just checked the weather now and between 1600 and 1700 there is now >95% chance of heavy rain - Thank's Met Office!!!

Luckily, I also fitted full mudguards last week, so that should at least keep the spray down to a minimum to keep my feet and ass dry.

Last edited:
Riding through an area with street lighting i spin the front light and aim it at myself...increases the visual margins...

Yeah team sky in black and people copying em and getting splattered....kid told me an horrific tale the other day about a car wrong side of an empty rd 90mphing it missed him by a rizla paper coming the opposite way...said he looked right in the windscreen and they didnt even know he was there (ninja cycling kit)...i spoke to him about a specific trendy jacket that could be got cheap and he told me fuck off it was orange and pink....told me to me fuck off without a hint of irony. His black clothing is staying...the roadbike is on the out...he's going gravel

Just checked the weather for my morning commute tomorrow.

No rain, but 22mph wind, gusting 41 SW. That means the wind will be pretty much gusting left to right in my face on the last exposed leg of my ride.

Should be a right laugh.

Just need to vent about idiot drivers.

Close to home I have a left turn and then a right turn about 20yds later.

Yesterday I pulled up at the LH side of the junction a car came from behind and cut left right across the front of me. So tonight, at the same junction I took up a more central position (between centre line and kerb).

As I was going left then immediately right I needed a decent gap to pull out, but the bloke behind me obviously couldn't wait.

Just as I was pulling out, the guy behind (also going left) mounted the kerb and undercut me, nearly taking out my front wheel in the process. It just beggars belief what goes through some people's minds.
Since ditching the car and getting a bike, I’ve noticed how drivers have no patience.

Many drive like they’re going to get a prize if they get to where they’re going in record time, or have left it too late to leave and they’re in a rush.

I’ve noticed how much I’ve chilled out as a person since ditching the car. I plan my journey by giving myself an extra half hour to cool down once I get there, so I’m never in a rush. When you’re never in a rush, you’ve no need to act the erratically.

How many drivers start their journey well in advance of needing to be where they have to be? I know when I had a car, 90% of the time I’d leave at the very last possible moment I could.

Since ditching the car and getting a bike, I’ve noticed how drivers have no patience.

Many drive like they’re going to get a prize if they get to where they’re going in record time, or have left it too late to leave and they’re in a rush.

I’ve noticed how much I’ve chilled out as a person since ditching the car. I plan my journey by giving myself an extra half hour to cool down once I get there, so I’m never in a rush. When you’re never in a rush, you’ve no need to act the erratically.

How many drivers start their journey well in advance of needing to be where they have to be? I know when I had a car, 90% of the time I’d leave at the very last possible moment I could.
There is currently a set of temporary lights on my route. Last Thursday, I pulled up at the stop sign in a central position, nothing in front of me. The cones were on the opposite side of the road, so it was clear in front of me. I was there for about 30 seconds when a white van (it had to be white) pulled up right on my back wheel, angled towards the middle of the road.

I set off pretty sharpish as soon as the lights changed, holding my line and the van driver decided he was going to cut me up me just before the cones, squeezing me right in to the kerb. I wouldn't mind if I was actually holding him up, but the roadworks are about 25yds long, and the road was clear ahead of him. The tool must have saved himself all of 3 seconds.

I just had to shake my head as it's not worth getting upset about.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.