Cycling Advice

In past winters I had been suffering with cold hands and feet once I got to around 15 miles. With lockdown I needed to keep riding regularly to stay sane so this winter I have tried various combinations and this is what works for me.

Hands - Thin Merino liner gloves worn inside a pair of windproof Goretex gloves

Feet - Planet X Das Boot winter boots, Neoprene overshoes, a pair of thin Merino socks worn under Sealskinz waterproof socks

The Planet X boots are 50% off at the moment, only £50, an absolute bargain.
The Sealskinz socks and the Goretex gloves were expensive but worth every penny as I can now go out on the bike no matter how cold it is.

I usually wear a thermal baselayer, winter jersey, windproof jacket, neckwarmer, thermal skull cap

Planet X is a great site for picking up the basics (merino socks, merino glove liners, skull caps) cheaply, I just shopped around at Wiggle/Tredz/Evans for the more expensive items.
Yep, would recommend Planet X too - I wear some of their 365 glove-mittens

Bearing in mind I hadn't had a bike for ~23 years, I know very little about what I should be doing regularly or how long components last...

When I squeeze my brake handles, not a lot happens. Takes me a good while to slow me down and eventually stop.

Will this be a brake pad or cable problem?

Bearing in mind I hadn't had a bike for ~23 years, I know very little about what I should be doing regularly or how long components last...

When I squeeze my brake handles, not a lot happens. Takes me a good while to slow me down and eventually stop.

Could be either, could be both. Most likely the pads which are very easy to change. If you’ve got carbon rims and don’t have disc brake and it’s wet you’ll always need to pull hard to break.

20 miles today and was so great to do an hour on the roads, not the fastest but loved it!
Same for me today. I don't cycle as much these days compared to the glory days of 6000 miles a year commuting and time trialling. But refreshing be out in the mild weather flying down a couple of good descents.

A section of my commute is on a cycle path adjacent to single carriageway A-road. There is just over a meter of grass verge between the limits of the carriageway and the path. I find when I ride on the path, I often get passed by vehicles doing in excess of 50mph at way less then the prescribed 2m minimum gap.

To make matters worse, in the wet there is ALWAYS standing water at the side of the road, and the path floods. This morning I got soaked head to toe TWICE in the space of about 800m by vehicles hugging the white line despite no traffic coming the other way.

I'd be better off (and safer) riding on the road.

A section of my commute is on a cycle path adjacent to single carriageway A-road. There is just over a meter of grass verge between the limits of the carriageway and the path. I find when I ride on the path, I often get passed by vehicles doing in excess of 50mph at way less then the prescribed 2m minimum gap.

To make matters worse, in the wet there is ALWAYS standing water at the side of the road, and the path floods. This morning I got soaked head to toe TWICE in the space of about 800m by vehicles hugging the white line despite no traffic coming the other way.

Exactly why I use the road and take a position so drivers have to overtake me properly and can’t squeeze past.. it’s the best way of staying safe I’ve found..

I only do a two lap circuit of ~16 miles in total Monday to Friday but it gets me out of the house

Stick your foot between the the frame and front wheel and press dead hard on the tyre, sorted.

When you say 'pad' do you mean rim brake, or disk? Also, how far do your brake levers travel before the brakes start to take effect?

Ideally you should give your bike a once-over before every ride. It needs to be done methodically, and cover the following:
  • Your contact points (seat, handlebars and pedals) and make sure they are secure (screws/bolts tight, but not overly tight). You really don't want your handlebars, pedals or seat coming loose when your are careering down a hill at speed.
  • Bikes contact points with the road surface (tyre pressure and tread wear/damage).
  • Brakes - Make sure they work, and are not worn beyond limits. Check cables for damage, and make sure pinch-bolts are done up properly. For V-Brakes, make sure the arms spring back together (can be a pain to adjust, and may need lubricating/cleaning at the pivots). If something needs adjusting or replacing, don't put it off.
  • Drive train (chain rings, cassette derailleurs/cables and chain) - Make sure your gears are shifting properly, and your chain is properly lubricated.
  • Attachments - Give everything else that is attached to your bike (bottle cage, lights, GPS head unit, etc.) a once over and make sure they aren't loose or in danger of falling off.
Plenty of self help videos on YouTube, or if in doubt, consult a mechanic.

Always stay on the road myself, got a mate who thinks I’m crazy but you really are safer as they have to give you room.

i had mine checked out last summer at halfords for the same issue.

Had it replaced and off i went 2 days later. Cycled from home to stockport. Accident straight away with the same issue.

Save to say i got a refund and i binned the bike

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.