Cycling Advice

Right no laughing you lot my first bike ride for over 4 years and even back than I think I only did about 5 rides !

I not using my road bike but my mountain bike across farmers fields etc. Head wind on the way out ;)

I am hoping to get out more now that I am shielding till the 31st :)

My brain still thinks I am 21 but my body knows it's in its 60's lol

View attachment 11165
4 miles will always be more than no miles. You got off your arse and did a bit.

Right no laughing you lot my first bike ride for over 4 years and even back than I think I only did about 5 rides !

I not using my road bike but my mountain bike across farmers fields etc. Head wind on the way out ;)

I am hoping to get out more now that I am shielding till the 31st :)

My brain still thinks I am 21 but my body knows it's in its 60's lol

View attachment 11165
Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.”
Follow this advice from the great Eddy Merckx and you won't go far wrong.

Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.”
Follow this advice from the great Eddy Merckx and you won't go far wrong.

The reason for such a short ride , well I did alot back in the late 80's around 400 miles a week in the summer months. Working as a greenkeeper my hours were 6 to 2 so had the whole afternoon to get rides in.
Than kids etc came along, I tried again to get back into cycling about 4 years ago, doing around 30 miles at a time. I did to much to soon and hurt !. I didnt enjoy the aching, I didnt enjoy how hard I found it.

So this time I thought I wouldnt over do it, so that i enjoyed it and not spend the next 4 days in pain :).

So a short ride along fields etc is tougher than 4 miles on my light road bike. So this time I will pace myself better. And remind my brain I am not in my late 20's and I dont weight 8 stone now and I cant fly up any upward roads lol.i find it hard to put those thoughts out of my head ! I use to be really fit but now carry about 13st and my legs are only the size of when I was 8st lol. I am not fat just go bigger doing manual work.

Will I keep up cycling will I get back into it I dont know to be honest once I stop shielding and I am back at work. I find work hard going now manual work and have a dodge back.

Last edited:
The reason for such a short ride , well I did alot back in the late 80's around 400 miles a week in the summer months. Working as a greenkeeper my hours were 6 to 2 so had the whole afternoon to get rides in.
Than kids etc came along, I tried again to get back into cycling about 4 years ago, doing around 30 miles at a time. I did to much to soon and hurt !. I didnt enjoy the aching, I didnt enjoy how hard I found it.

So this time I thought I wouldnt over do it, so that i enjoyed it and not spend the next 4 days in pain :).

So a short ride along fields etc is tougher than 4 miles on my light road bike. So this time I will pace myself better. And remind my brain I am not in my late 20's and I dont weight 8 stone now and I cant fly up any upward roads lol.i find it hard to put those thoughts out of my head ! I use to be really fit but now carry about 13st and my legs are only the size of when I was 8st lol. I am not fat just go bigger doing manual work.

Will I keep up cycling will I get back into it I dont know to be honest once I stop shielding and I am back at work. I find work hard going now manual work and have a dodge back.
Can you use your bike to commute? I found I quickly got fit doing that. Work was 25 miles away so I'd drive the first 10 with the bike in the car unless the weather was really crap then I'd do 20 in the car!

I was feeling strong on my commute this evening so I threw in a short, sharp cobbled climb as extra punishment.

The Full Michaelgate Starting at Hungate | Strava Ride Segment in Lincoln, United Kingdom
I hate the cobbles. Especially uphill. Went up Shibden Wall last summer (it’s on the top 100 UK climb list) and have to say I failed. I don’t like how technical they make the climb, having to find the best route up whilst blowing out of your arse at the same time!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.