Cycling Advice

And before you all venture out to to cause mayhem and mayhap on our road networks maybe a cycling proficiency course wouldn't go amiss.

Indeed. I paid £200 for a Chinese-build road bike and it did the length of Vietnam twice and was still in good enough condition at the end of it to get $100 for. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it, but the point is that any bike is going to be good enough for riding to work or riding around the park, and the cheaper it is, the less likely it is to be nicked.

Far more important, particularly if you're tall, is to get something that's the right size, because otherwise that'll do your back in.
Yup, i've only got little leggies, so that's my reason mostly for disliking road bikes. I need to ride "cruiser" style.

And before you all venture out to to cause mayhem and mayhap on our road networks maybe a cycling proficiency course wouldn't go amiss.
Indeed, I did Bikeability and it gave me lots of important safety tips that came in useful when doing my CBT, even.

Is my certificate from primary school (1977) still valid?

Yes of course.I still have my original certificate tucked away in our giant plastic memory box from 1966 and consequently have never had an accident or incident on the queens highway.All cyclists regardless of age should be made to take one and any cyclists using our highways should have compulsory insurance (This should apply to all road users including Horses)

Last edited:
Have you seen the work Chris Boardman's doing? He has £1.5bn of ring fenced money for cycling infrastructure to spend over ten years in Manchester.

OP; I fell off my bike two years ago and had serious injuries and have not been on it since. Shame as I love it, especially in hot weather and last summer would have been brilliant.

£1.5bn?????

That's where all the fucking money has gone then!

The problem with these cycle schemes is they don't fix the commuter issue. They build a trail that meanders off into god knows where, making a ten mile commute into a 15 mile commute. The trail then becomes a target for scallies who take a liking to £1000 bikes or for scrambling practice. If they had proper cycle lanes on main roads (you know, ones where cars aren't allowed to park in them) there really shouldn't be an issue, but I would say that users should have insurance and either a full driving licence or training to know the highway code.

On the subject of bike insurance, use ETA or similar, £50 a year and includes a rescue service if you break down and can't fix it. No brainer, really.

I was a member of British Cycling and had insurance which cost £30 as part of membership. Third party only and I would be in favour if we had police numbers to enforce it!

I'm still looking at bikes to make a a return to cycling after the incident I had in late 2018 when a prick in a car knocked me off deliberately...

I'm waiting for the claim to finalise still and need some physio for my shoulder and CBT to "compartmentalise the accident and deal with it" before the claim is likely to be settled so maybe not the best time to consider a bike as I said I won't ride again... I meant it so if I go anywhere near a bike it will be on gravel I expect.

I saw a lovely Kinesis bike the other day on eBay with a "Race The Distance" theme. Stunning bike but SWMBO wouldn't approve the ~£950 expenditure even though the bike was £2k plus and was basically brand new...

Still keeping my eye out for something special in a 56-58cm frame with the right setup... It's fun looking actually while I am at a loose end locked down

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.