Cycling Advice

Just done my first cycle to work this morning. Not a long ride by any stretch, but a steep climb which gets the pulse racing.

It was a bit of a logistical nightmare having to prep all my kit the night before, and leaving the house 45 minutes early so I can have a shower and breakfast when I got here. I'm sure the more I do it, the easier it will become.

Finally got my compensation after a maniac driver deliberately knocked me off my bike... despite a plated shoulder I can ride the bike again but it’s ruined the whole experience for me so my lovely road bike is being used on rollers currently

I may downgrade it as it’s far too good for what I’m doing now...

Just done my first cycle to work this morning. Not a long ride by any stretch, but a steep climb which gets the pulse racing.

It was a bit of a logistical nightmare having to prep all my kit the night before, and leaving the house 45 minutes early so I can have a shower and breakfast when I got here. I'm sure the more I do it, the easier it will become.
I've done it a few times (20+ miles each way) and know exactly what you mean - it's like a military exercise. I prefer to bring everything I need into to work the day before so I'm not riding with a backpack. No better way to start the day though.

It gets easier with time and becomes routine. I cycle commuted for 20 odd years, typically clocking up 5,000 miles per year. One year I managed to cycle every day and not use the car once - but was a mild winter with no snow.

If you cycle daily and then suddenly have to use the car then the drive can become the logistical problem!

I've done it a few times (20+ miles each way) and know exactly what you mean - it's like a military exercise. I prefer to bring everything I need into to work the day before so I'm not riding with a backpack. No better way to start the day though.

It gets easier with time and becomes routine. I cycle commuted for 20 odd years, typically clocking up 5,000 miles per year. One year I managed to cycle every day and not use the car once - but was a mild winter with no snow.

If you cycle daily and then suddenly have to use the car then the drive can become the logistical problem!

I bought all my gear in, plus food the day before including my locks which I stuck in the bike rack. I carried a small low profile backpack containing a waterproof jacket, my key's/wallet/phone/ID and my mini-pump, so nothing too bulky. I could probably get away with using my jersey pockets at a push.

I left the house at just after 0630 as the sun was coming up. I initially thought I could get away with a summer cycling jersey, but I had to go back in for a long sleeve base layer as it was bloody nippy first thing. It's a good job I did, as I was bloody freezing for the first couple of km or so.

My ride each way starts and finishes at around 20m difference in elevation and is pretty much 10k on the nose. It's not long by any stretch but more than enough to get the blood pumping. On the way in I drop down steeply through the town and then back up the other side at about 13% over about 800m. It's fairly flat then for the last 4km.

I've just got the ride home to look forward to now which has a short steep climb, and if it doesn't kill me I might do it all again tomorrow.

I guess once I get into a routine it should be okay, but I may have to look at getting mudguards and decent kit for the autumn/winter months. Definitely overshoes as I can't stand putting on wet shoes.

I bought all my gear in, plus food the day before including my locks which I stuck in the bike rack. I carried a small low profile backpack containing a waterproof jacket, my key's/wallet/phone/ID and my mini-pump, so nothing too bulky. I could probably get away with using my jersey pockets at a push.

I left the house at just after 0630 as the sun was coming up. I initially thought I could get away with a summer cycling jersey, but I had to go back in for a long sleeve base layer as it was bloody nippy first thing. It's a good job I did, as I was bloody freezing for the first couple of km or so.

My ride each way starts and finishes at around 20m difference in elevation and is pretty much 10k on the nose. It's not long by any stretch but more than enough to get the blood pumping. On the way in I drop down steeply through the town and then back up the other side at about 13% over about 800m. It's fairly flat then for the last 4km.

I've just got the ride home to look forward to now which has a short steep climb, and if it doesn't kill me I might do it all again tomorrow.

I guess once I get into a routine it should be okay, but I may have to look at getting mudguards and decent kit for the autumn/winter months. Definitely overshoes as I can't stand putting on wet shoes.
You soon get an idea of what clothing is needed at different times of the year and understand weather forecasts better.

Fitness soon builds, but can be tired by Friday. Then great fitness on Monday if weekend off.

For regular commuting the following are essential..
Mudguards.
Over shoes.
Waterproof top.
Water proof gloves.
Winter thickness tights.
3 spare inner tubes.
2 front lights.
3 rear lights.
Basic tool.

I always used a rucksack. Not ideal. Saddle bag, rack probably better but never got round to it

Ideally two bikes are needed. Winter and summer bike. Plus a spare pump. And another spare tube. And some more tools.

And another spare tube.....

We went for our usual 'training' ride down the canal and it was still 'bloody nippy' at 14;30 this afternoon. I'm wearing my buff, I tell Mrs Ewing. Yer can always take a buff off, but if yer haven't got one yer can't put it on. Same for armwarmers.

I'm into day 3 of my first attempt at a full week commuting.

It's not going too bad, and luckily the weather has been kind. I basically just getting out of bed, quick drink of water, brush my teeth and then straight on the bike. Shower and breakfast when I get to work, then I'm good to go.

It's been hard on my legs doing back to back rides, not in terms of the distance (10km each way with a hill at either end), but 2 rides in a day and consecutive days. My quads are certainly feeling a bit heavy this morning. Hopefully, I can see out the week before my legs give in and then have a good rest over the weekend, then see how next week goes.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.