Cycling Advice

I'm into day 3 of my first attempt at a full week commuting.

It's not going too bad, and luckily the weather has been kind. I basically just getting out of bed, quick drink of water, brush my teeth and then straight on the bike. Shower and breakfast when I get to work, then I'm good to go.

It's been hard on my legs doing back to back rides, not in terms of the distance (10km each way with a hill at either end), but 2 rides in a day and consecutive days. My quads are certainly feeling a bit heavy this morning. Hopefully, I can see out the week before my legs give in and then have a good rest over the weekend, then see how next week goes.

Might I suggest you look into some basic gentle stretching routines. Your quads will adapt in time but the stretching will help stop you tightening up and prevent stress injuries. Nothing too severe - just 15/20 mins per day.

Might I suggest you look into some basic gentle stretching routines. Your quads will adapt in time but the stretching will help stop you tightening up and prevent stress injuries. Nothing too severe - just 15/20 mins per day.
I did some basic quad/hamstring/ITB/calves/glutes stretches last night, and I'm going to dig out my torture device foam roller when I get home. My knee was still a bit tight this morning, but it soon loosened up as I got going.

I did some basic quad/hamstring/ITB/calves/glutes stretches last night, and I'm going to dig out my torture device foam roller when I get home. My knee was still a bit tight this morning, but it soon loosened up as I got going.
I know what you mean re the foam roller. Bit of a faff but worth it. Tennis ball is just as effective if you have isolated tightness.

Have been cycling to and from work for a couple of months now...and really enjoying it....its only about 4 miles each way, but feels like a work out....especially on the way home.

Thinking of a new bike through cycle to work....can get a £1k bike for £640!!

Any opinion on Ribble bikes? I dont need/want a road bike....but they do a beaut hybrid....

Attachments

• image002.png
    image002.png
    610.9 KB · Views: 11
  • image001.png
    image001.png
    304.9 KB · Views: 11
It's not going too bad, and luckily the weather has been kind.
Spoke too soon!!!

I work in a room with no windows, and I haven't been out since this morning. I just popped upstairs to get my kit sorted for going home and noticed the tree branches waving in the 'breeze'. Just checked the weather online and it's blowing a steady 15mph NE, gusting 20mph.......... right in my face all the way home. I was fine this morning.

Oh well.

Have been cycling to and from work for a couple of months now...and really enjoying it....its only about 4 miles each way, but feels like a work out....especially on the way home.

Thinking of a new bike through cycle to work....can get a £1k bike for £640!!

Any opinion on Ribble bikes? I dont need/want a road bike....but they do a beaut hybrid....
I've not heard anything bad.

That looks like a well spec'd bike. Fairly relaxed geometry, and looks like a sub-compact front double chain-ring (44/32?). It should certainly be comfortable, but expect to run out of gears on anything really steep.

With the relaxed geometry and fairly upright riding position you'll be subject to the wind more than you would on a drop bar, but then if speed isn't really your thing, you are better off being comfortable.

I've not heard anything bad.

That looks like a well spec'd bike. Fairly relaxed geometry, and looks like a sub-compact front double chain-ring (44/32?). It should certainly be comfortable, but expect to run out of gears on anything really steep.

With the relaxed geometry and fairly upright riding position you'll be subject to the wind more than you would on a drop bar, but then if speed isn't really your thing, you are better off being comfortable.

Im not really interested in a road bike, 90% of my use will be to and from work....and ive only one steep hill on the journey home which i really need to drop the gears for....so i hadnt totally thought of that, hmmm

What do the cyclists on here make of that CyclingMikey bloke on YouTube? Fair play to him for bringing those idiots on their mobiles to book. However, I haven't seen him confronting any RLJ cyclists yet (perhaps he has, and I just haven't seen them). Also, one day he'll confront the wrong driver and, camera or not, he's going to get a belt or two. Not saying he deserves it, by the way (he obviously doesn't), but that doesn't mean it won't happen. There's a lot of hotheads out there.

Im not really interested in a road bike, 90% of my use will be to and from work....and ive only one steep hill on the journey home which i really need to drop the gears for....so i hadnt totally thought of that, hmmm

Depends what’s on the back, if it’s a 32 or 34 you should be sorted, as for Ribble the bikes are generally pretty good, a few years they had a bit of a rep for poor customer service but you know what it’s like the moaners are always more vocal than the vast majority who are happy.

Depends what’s on the back, if it’s a 32 or 34 you should be sorted, as for Ribble the bikes are generally pretty good, a few years they had a bit of a rep for poor customer service but you know what it’s like the moaners are always more vocal than the vast majority who are happy.
My hybrid is 12 to 32 7-speed, 44/32, so 32-32 is my lowest gear. On my ride home I have a long steep hill which gets noticeably steeper at the top. I'm pretty much grinding in the lowest gear at the top. Just about enough gears for me.

With my highest gear being 44-12 I often max out down hill, but I still managed 66kph on the way home tonight.

Having a look at the spec, that Ribble should do the business.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.