Cycling Advice

Just need to vent about idiot drivers.

Close to home I have a left turn and then a right turn about 20yds later.

Yesterday I pulled up at the LH side of the junction a car came from behind and cut left right across the front of me. So tonight, at the same junction I took up a more central position (between centre line and kerb).

As I was going left then immediately right I needed a decent gap to pull out, but the bloke behind me obviously couldn't wait.

Just as I was pulling out, the guy behind (also going left) mounted the kerb and undercut me, nearly taking out my front wheel in the process. It just beggars belief what goes through some people's minds.

Depends what’s on the back, if it’s a 32 or 34 you should be sorted, as for Ribble the bikes are generally pretty good, a few years they had a bit of a rep for poor customer service but you know what it’s like the moaners are always more vocal than the vast majority who are happy.
They had genuinely poor customer service. Massively overstretched themselves but have ironed that out and now they provide excellent bang for buck. I've still got an old 531 pro Ribble frame adorned with Shimano 600 groupset, Mavic M40 clinchers and Vittoria tubs resting idle at me mum and dad's. Not ridden in nearly 30 years but couldn't bring myself to get rid!

My hybrid is 12 to 32 7-speed, 44/32, so 32-32 is my lowest gear. On my ride home I have a long steep hill which gets noticeably steeper at the top. I'm pretty much grinding in the lowest gear at the top. Just about enough gears for me.

With my highest gear being 44-12 I often max out down hill, but I still managed 66kph on the way home tonight.

Having a look at the spec, that Ribble should do the business.

Forgive my ignorance / lack of knowledge ...

I currently ride a Carrera Crossfire thats i got a few years ago...it has 3 x 7 gears...

ie 3 cogs at the front, 7 at the back...i generally ride entirely on the middle, 2nd front cog...between 6 and 7 (the "hardest").....but then drop down to 1 and 2 for the steep hills

Would the gears on this Ribble, essentially be the same as i am using at the moment?

Forgive my ignorance / lack of knowledge ...

I currently ride a Carrera Crossfire thats i got a few years ago...it has 3 x 7 gears...

ie 3 cogs at the front, 7 at the back...i generally ride entirely on the middle, 2nd front cog...between 6 and 7 (the "hardest").....but then drop down to 1 and 2 for the steep hills

Would the gears on this Ribble, essentially be the same as i am using at the moment?
The Crossfire is a 48/38/28 front chain ring (more MTB, than road bike). I'm guessing on the rear cassette, but probably 32-12 (possibly 28-11, but doubtful).

That means that at 32-12 your gear ratio on that use regularly use on that bike is roughly between 2.71 and 1.19, depending on the step between rear cogs.

The Ribble is an 8-speed rear cassette and if it's 44/32 and 11-32 cassette then you will have between 4.0 and 1.0, so well within that range, although the steps in gears will be a little different that what you are used to.

The Crossfire is a 48/38/28 front chain ring (more MTB, than road bike). I'm guessing on the rear cassette, but probably 32-12 (possibly 28-11, but doubtful).

That means that at 32-12 your gear ratio on that use regularly use on that bike is roughly between 2.71 and 1.19, depending on the step between rear cogs.

The Ribble is an 8-speed rear cassette and if it's 44/32 and 11-32 cassette then you will have between 4.0 and 1.0, so well within that range, although the steps in gears will be a little different that what you are used to.

So i will still get up that hill?? :-)

Thanks, thats helpful....plus, ill just have to make it work regardless...its all about improving my fitness anyway!

the other versions of that bike have...so assume this is the same
  • Shimano Claris 2x8 Speed.
  • Shimano 46-34T x 11-32T Gearing.

So i will still get up that hill?? :-)

Thanks, thats helpful....plus, ill just have to make it work regardless...its all about improving my fitness anyway!

the other versions of that bike have...so assume this is the same
  • Shimano Claris 2x8 Speed.
  • Shimano 46-34T x 11-32T Gearing.
The range of gears for that will be 4.18 to 1.06. Well inside your current range.

The Shimano Claris components are pretty decent, so overall it looks pretty good.

Had a guy today In an Evoque who didn’t like the fact that I was in the middle of the road avoiding a patch of potholes (my first ride on the road for some time). He overtook me and came within a few inches of hitting me.. I gestured about how close he was and he slowed right down and shout abuse so I started to ride past him.. he told me I was a dickhead for riding in the middle of the road as I “should be in the gutter on a bike”

Such a shame that I took his registration and passed it to a guy I know at the local speedwatch group.. he is well connected with the local police and carries out official speed gun checks on our lane... It’s a shame because the guy’s tax ran out last November

I’ve decided I am going to stick to my training rollers and change the road bike for a gravel bike I can use off road as I’m sick of the sheer number of dickheads on the roads these days...

Had a guy today In an Evoque who didn’t like the fact that I was in the middle of the road avoiding a patch of potholes (my first ride on the road for some time). He overtook me and came within a few inches of hitting me.. I gestured about how close he was and he slowed right down and shout abuse so I started to ride past him.. he told me I was a dickhead for riding in the middle of the road as I “should be in the gutter on a bike”

Such a shame that I took his registration and passed it to a guy I know at the local speedwatch group.. he is well connected with the local police and carries out official speed gun checks on our lane... It’s a shame because the guy’s tax ran out last November

I’ve decided I am going to stick to my training rollers and change the road bike for a gravel bike I can use off road as I’m sick of the sheer number of dickheads on the roads these days...
I don't blame you.

My commute is slightly longer than the direct route so I avoid the traffic through town to try and stay away from the selfish idiot car drivers. Pedestrians can be just as bad though, just stepping out into the road with their headphones on.

You can't afford to lose you concentration for a second. I always try to make sure I know what's behind me so I can take evasive action if I need to. It bugs the sh*t out of me when I see other cyclists pull out to overtake parked cars without looking behind them.

Was out on Monday and did a 50 mile ride, got near Hollingsworth lake and was passed by a group of cars near the roundabout which they all had to queue at, one dickhead decided he would stop against the curb meaning I’d have to stop. Instead I went around him which caused him to bang on his window and start shouting abuse at me, I got around the roundabout first but when he passed me he again was shouting abuse but this time had his wallet open showing me some form of ID as though I was supposed to be impressed then he shot off. Knowing the area I knew I’d catch him at the crossing ahead so head down and I chased the ****.... he shit himself when I was banging on his window asking him what he was playing at... he didn’t want to know and fucked off after that, wish I’d taken his plate now.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.