Cycling Advice

Stockport shop that refurb old bikes and resell.

Gerry shields in failsworth is a good shop not sure on the prices for new bike s
Gerry Shields? Blast from the past, I bought a pair of Mavic M40 rims with large flange Campag record hubs from there well over 35 years ago now. My dad’s from Moston so he used to get all his cycling stuff from there. Didn’t know it was still going.

Stockport shop that refurb old bikes and resell.

Gerry shields in failsworth is a good shop not sure on the prices for new bike s
Gerry used to have a shop on Rochdale Road, 'Apper'ay - one of those shops where kids would have their noses up at the window. Think they sold Dinky cars as well! Lovely shop. Fuckin' block of flats now!

F*cking CYCLIST pulled out on me this morning from a narrow side street. If I hadn't have been riding in the middle of the carriageway to avoid a raised manhole cover we would have collided at about 20mph. I just raised my arm and shook my head, as there was not much else I could have done.

I continued ahead, then went left and under a bridge to a road which joins with the high street up ahead. The cheeky tw@t had jumped a red light, ridden up the pavement and through a pedestrianised area and nearly pulled out in front of me again at a pedestrian crossing. Luckily I was just too quick for him.

It's people like that that give cyclists a bad name, and it's hard enough trying to get respect from other road users without idiots like that.

Legs are in bits.

I had the last couple of weeks off work and done no cycling. This week I'm cycling to work every day.

I've done 52 miles already this week with hill each way. I haven't got a low enough gear to maintain my normal power output on the hill on the way home as it's a bit too steep, so I just end up grinding up the last bit. Monday/Tuesday were fine, but yesterday and today I found the cumulative effect of muscle fatigue is catching up with me.

Tomorrow is going to be emotional. After a weekend of rest, I'll be flying up those hills on Monday.

There was another cyclist killed last week in London. It’s not hot topic at the moment for obvious reasons but cyclist deaths have really risen this year. Obviously there are a lot my cyclists and new cyclists out there now but it’s tragic that this is on the increase. I know tfl for instance are trying improve cycle infrastructure and increasing cycle highways and quiet ways and in some boroughs have mini Holland areas.

Hopefully things will improve soon as cycling as a great way of travelling.

There was another cyclist killed last week in London. It’s not hot topic at the moment for obvious reasons but cyclist deaths have really risen this year. Obviously there are a lot my cyclists and new cyclists out there now but it’s tragic that this is on the increase. I know tfl for instance are trying improve cycle infrastructure and increasing cycle highways and quiet ways and in some boroughs have mini Holland areas.

Hopefully things will improve soon as cycling as a great way of travelling.
Better cycle infrastructure would be a start, but it won't solve all the problems. Many cyclist don't get basic roadcraft. They end up riding themselves into dangerous situations and don't have the handling skills to get themselves out of trouble.

I see them every day riding their bikes like mannequins totally unaware of anything other than the 10ft in front of them. Not sure what the answer is to be honest other than trying to educate people where possible.

Yeah I agree with all of that. I’m always looking way ahead and around when I’m out. You never know if someone is going to step out on you or a car is going to throw a sharp left without indicating. I find in London some cyclists especially those in full kit get way over confident using the cycle lanes as if it has some kind of protective barrier around it. The speed some barrel along at you would think there is a scout from team sky at the end.

To me it seems the roads have become a battle ground between cyclists and motor cars and is getting dangerous. Lack of patience and tolerance is a big factor plus ignorance plays a part. The amount of times I hear crap like “the road isn’t for cyclists or you don’t pay road tax” I’ve given up trying to reason with most people or even argue cos if some loon decides to knock me off my bike then I’m fucked.

Also cyclists really do have to do there but. There really is no need to run a red light. It’s dangerous and it’s the one thing that pisses people off and justifies in motorists head when they want to close pass a cyclist or cut one up. Just stop and wait. I’m fed up hearing from cyclists that they ran a red as it’s safer to do so because they don’t want to set off at the same time as a larger vehicle. It’s rubbish you just don’t want to wait at the lights.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.