Cycling - hints, tips and routes

Has anyone summited Holme Moss? It's on my to do list.

I have. Very hard going if you come from Greenfield as you have to get to the top of the Holmfirth Road as well which is a slow ascent. Tip, it gets really cold on the tops even when very hot in Saddleworth. Good fun coming down the other side, easily reach 45/50 mph if you have the balls, and brakes. Pretty horrible road at the bottom (Woodhead Pass) but you can get off it after quarter of a mile towards Glossop.

Have you done Cragg Vale? Longest hill in England at around six miles but far easier than Holme Moss due to a kinder gradient.

Looking at getting a new bike but wasn't sure what type to get...Does anyone have any recommendations? I will be doing abit of road cycling hopefully on weekends aswel as on my commutes to and from work

I will be using the cycle to work scheme, I was going to get a hybrid or a cyclo-cross. Although I was looking at getting the Cube SL Road Bike or Hyde 2018 Hybrid Bike. Not sure if a road bike will be okay with the pot holes etc on the roads..

Looking at getting a new bike but wasn't sure what type to get...Does anyone have any recommendations? I will be doing abit of road cycling hopefully on weekends aswel as on my commutes to and from work

I will be using the cycle to work scheme, I was going to get a hybrid or a cyclo-cross. Although I was looking at getting the Cube SL Road Bike or Hyde 2018 Hybrid Bike. Not sure if a road bike will be okay with the pot holes etc on the roads..
Watch out on the Cycle To Work scheme. It can limit you to only non-sale items from some Bike shops when you might be better getting a sale bike on a 0% deal or credit card. When I used it, the final amount I paid wasn't much different from the total price of the bike in the first place. I didn't know the final payment to my employer to take ownership until after my last installment.

I have a Trek hybrid - about 4yrs old now. Pretty much useless off road though as the tyres just got loads of little stones embedded in them so would have been better with a road bike for the commute and my existing mountain bike for weekends. Luckily it's a fast hybrid so not totally wasted.

Last edited:
Has anyone summited Holme Moss? It's on my to do list.

It's not so daunting...done it from the etihad half regular, have a practise on the service road that takes you from dovestone reser to chew reser...once you're up that in less than 20 mins you're ready. The road to glossop is moody (devils elbow), glossop boy racers go through the walls often.

The road/climbing out of marsden into holmfirth is a darling...harder than holme moss(imo)

It's not so daunting...done it from the etihad half regular, have a practise on the service road that takes you from dovestone reser to chew reser...once you're up that in less than 20 mins you're ready. The road to glossop is moody (devils elbow), glossop boy racers go through the walls often.

The road/climbing out of marsden into holmfirth is a darling...harder than holme moss(imo)

Wessenden Head Road is also a corker of a climb

Have PMd you with bit of advice, possible roads (pardon the pun) to go down. Cheers

Wessenden Head Road is also a corker of a climb

that's the route i meant pop...i always say holmfirth for some reason...you arrive on the moor at the butty wagon...though going into holmfirth and having a bit too eat is fatal..those slow sloping couple of miles back onto the moor are horrible...prefer to go home via holme and freewheel back into manc

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.