Cyclists

Johnsonontheleft

This may differ in the cities but where I live there are lots of narrow rural roads with no cycle paths and a national speed limit, but this doesn't stop cyclists from doing their thing. I have seen numerous incidents where they have nearly caused a nasty collision, mainly on an uphill stretch where they're going slow and a car pulls out to overtake, only for another car to come racing down the hill in the other direction. I don't know the stats but I imagine lots of accidents are caused this way.

My question is this - should cyclists be allowed on the roads or are they too much of a hazard to motorists and themselves?

I love cycling but I would never do it on the open road, only ever on cycle paths which are sadly lacking round here.

Johnsonontheleft said:
This may differ in the cities but where I live there are lots of narrow rural roads with no cycle paths and a national speed limit, but this doesn't stop cyclists from doing their thing. I have seen numerous incidents where they have nearly caused a nasty collision, mainly on an uphill stretch where they're going slow and a car pulls out to overtake, only for another car to come racing down the hill in the other direction. I don't know the stats but I imagine lots of accidents are caused this way.

My question is this - should cyclists be allowed on the roads or are they too much of a hazard to motorists and themselves?

I love cycling but I would never do it on the open road, only ever on cycle paths which are sadly lacking round here.
No its the other way around, drivers are more of a hazard to cyclists on the road

This is something that needs sorting out. If you're going to ride on the road then you should have a license.

Also, if you're over 16 and ride on the pavement, not wear a helmet or not have lights then you should have your bike taken away til you pay a reasonable fine.

I feel sorry for the genuine cyclists out there.

Johnsonontheleft said:

If the car cant see that its safe to overtake going uphill, then he shouldnt overtake, simple as. What if it were a horse or a pedestrian, all of whom have an equal right to be there?

https://www.gov.uk/using-the-road-159-to-203/overtaking-162-to-169

Johnsonontheleft said:

Why would you overtake on a hill if you can't see what is in coming in the opposite direction !!Wouldn't you wait until it was safe to do so ?

I don't know the statistics either but I'd bet every penny I've got that there are many, many more incidents involving cyclists on official cycle paths in towns and cities than there are on rural country lanes.

Not one of the major, burning issues of the day for me.

being an ex taxi driver and having done the milege i can understand where the op is coming from, there is a diference between the old boy going to the shop on his bike and the paper boy than the cycling nut dressed in his lycra, tbh the average car driver is not aware of the speeds these bikes go and they can be on top of a junction five times faster than a normal cycle, ive come close to knocking a couple off over the years when these fruits are out in the winter mornings with no lights or hi viz clothing, the roads are not a race track or for speed testing light alloy bikes while on the way to work,

I do both. In fact I also ride a motorbike.

Is this wrong?

It's simple. I wouldn't ride two abreast, I don't jump red lights, I stick to as close to the curb as safely possible...

And still you get idiots saying I should pay another road tax or get a licence.

BimboBob said:
I do both. In fact I also ride a motorbike.

Is this wrong?

It's simple. I wouldn't ride two abreast, I don't jump red lights, I stick to as close to the curb as safely possible...

And still you get idiots saying I should pay another road tax or get a licence.

was you in the tufty club i was

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.