Daft things Dad said about City when you was a kid

Dad often used to say, "When the chips are down, City are always there."
As I said earlier, he died shortly before City dropped their chips in the 80's and every buggar was happily allowed to piss all over them.

Just a thought, I was thinking about some of the stupid things my old man said about City when I was young that I believed, interpreted or understood daftly.
Im sure Im not alone, and some of youse will have had similar experiences of your ancestors, exaggerating, truth twisting or down right bloody lying about the Blues! Thought itd be fun to share the stories, either of their porky pies or the bonkers way we dealt with them..

My old man used to tell me to take my boots in case City were short I might get a game. He told me that they used to pick players out of the crowd to play if someone got injured. I took my boots to every game until I was about 9 and then realized it was rubbish.

The also told me the groundsmen used to stick the forks in the pitch at half time to make divets that the opposition would trip over!

Also I remember he told me when Bert broke his neck, I actually thought Bert´s neck had completely snapped off. I had a vision until I was about 6 of him playing in net, with his head under his arm!

Any more.
Those lads that you've been sat next to for years - never ask them their name

My grandad always used to tell me

“win or lose .. have a booze”

and to be fair to him he always did

Derby day at the swamp 1962-63. City went 2-0 up and the rags pulled it back to 2-2. My dad (a bag of nerves watching City at the best of times) said with about 10 minutes left "Let's go. We're going to lose this". As we walked down Warwick Road we heard the cheer as City scored the winner.

First match of 86/87 season. Beat Wimbledon 3-1. My old man says "This happens every week son."

Lying bastard. We got relegated.

My auntie never set foot in a football ground but was 100% Blue all her life. She always expected City to win and when we lost she would always say "well I'm not going next week then". If we ever won by more than 3 or 4, she'd always say "who were we playing... The blind school?"

This one is from my Grandad. He lived with us in Cheadle Hulme during the early 1970s.

City were playing away in London and for some reason I was unable to go. We found out that that the match was to be featured on Match of the Day. We tried to do a ‘Likely Lads’ and avoid seeing the result so that we could watch the match ‘as if live’.

We avoided listening to the Radio or watching the TV at teatime so we woukd not see the results. No Football Pink either! We stocked up with beer from the off-licence to ensure that we would not pick up the result in the pub.

without Internet or Sports Channels on TV it wasn’t that difficult to dodge the results. We managed to make it through the evening and settled down to watch Match of the Day.

Just as the theme music was playing, my Grandad arrived back from the British Legion Club, put his head around the door and in his broad Shropshire accent “I see they’ve gotten beat again today.” and went off to bed.

Derby day at the swamp 1962-63. City went 2-0 up and the rags pulled it back to 2-2. My dad (a bag of nerves watching City at the best of times) said with about 10 minutes left "Let's go. We're going to lose this". As we walked down Warwick Road we heard the cheer as City scored the winner.
Brought back memories of my first 'derby' at OT..

When Harley broke away to score the last minute winner, with what seemed like the entire United team, coaching staff and half the crowd chasing him (!!), The Old Man shouted at me as we all cheered the goal, 'Look at Bert, look at Bert!' as Trautmann was doing somersaults on the edge of the area in celebration!

As for daft things The Old Man would say, well he was a pretty good judge of a player, whether for City or other teams (I learned a lot from him recommending I watch players like John 'The Ghost' White of Spurs and Alex 'The Golden Vision' Young of Everton etc) but he got Glyn Pardoe completely wrong!

After Pardoe broke into the team as a winger at 15 years old, the Old Fella said 'He's a Big Bake, he'll never make it' (I never did find out what a 'Big Bake' was!)

Fast forward a few years to title winning, FA and League Cup winning, Cup Winners' Cup winning Glyn Pardoe, the best left-back in the country.. the Old Man held his hands up and admitted defeat!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.