Daft things Dad said about City when you was a kid

Not on topic as such..

but i was born in ‘74. I always say that my age group kopped for the worse of it. Missed the mercer glory years and too young to remember the relatively succesful years of the 70s. I just about remember the 81 cup final.
City first made me cry when they wemt down in 84.

anyway, during the untold fuckin misery of the years that followed i used to moan at my dad. Although i adored every second of being a blue i was also pretty miserable with it at times and semi blamed my dad as he’d ‘made me support city’

things came to a head after that fa cup 1/4 final against blackburn. Cant remember the year but you know the one. I really thought we’d beat them, get a wembley trip for the semis
He rang me when i was on my way home. I was furious and unleashed on him. My parting words were
“Why the fuck did you make me a blue” and cut the call.

fast forward these years later and everytime we win something he reminds me if what i said and takes some some sort of credit for our success. As though all the years of misery were part of some master plan for the success that was to follow

my dad can be a pain in the arse but im forever grateful he ‘made me a blue’ !
I wish mine was still alive to see all this. Dying in 2007 before the takeover was really bad timing!

That Blackburn game was toxic. Horrible day.

Was given the ultimatum aged about 3.

Support City, stay at home. Support United you're off to Barnardo's!

Only blue in my school but took the shit and smiling wider than others now.

Blood? Am I missing something here? All I know about this game was it was a record crowd and so some had to watch it side on.
I'm just saying what he told me about it. It' was his memory of walking out of the ground after the game had finished.

He was there, my father never mentioned it and in those days adults could pass their children through the turnstiles two or three at a time for the price of one.

He wasn't one for bullshit, he trained as an engineer and later on in life in Bristol he was a senior designer of Concorde, after the TSR 2 project had been cancelled.

If you read the book by Gary James, 'The Manchester City Years', injuries and worse were quite common on the terraces at Maine Road back then.

Last edited:
How did you become a blue mate?
I really don't know exactly...it was after the fa cup final against spuds.... maybe the colours, maybe cause I thought we could win the trophy from the first match, maybe cause of Dave Bennett or paul Power ,maybe the sadness in the end,or maybe cause most of the kids in school were rags those days.... never ask about it my psychiatrist... anyway,so many years after that,my weekend feelings depends from MCFC...and now I'm not alone, I ve got a son with the same passion...ps...im happy im a Cityzen and I know Im right, cause my x wife hated it... :)

Last edited:
I'm just saying what he told me about it. It' was his memory of walking out of the ground after the game had finished.

He was there, my father never mentioned it and in those days adults could pass their children through the turnstiles two or three at a time for the price of one.

He wasn't one for bullshit, he trained as an engineer and later on in life in Bristol he was a senior designer of Concorde, after the TSR 2 project had been cancelled.

If you read the book by Gary James, 'The Manchester City Years', injuries and worse were quite common on the terraces at Maine Road back then.
Wow, never realised it was so treacherous.

My dad was a blue and he played for Manchester boys in the late 30's and he used to always say to me and my brothers,"...I'd have played for City, bar for't war...."
He regaled us with tales about old players, and Trautmann and Frank Swift in particular - saying how Centre Forwards would tremble in fear when Swiftey came out to the end of the box to meet them, and he used to say that Swift's hands were as big as frying pans.
Happy days. He died in 1989 - lucky old sod - he didn't have to see the following thirty years of shite that me and my brothers put up with, thanks to him!
What a bastard, hey!!
Not :-)
My Dad’s Dad (never called him my Grandad as he died years before I was born), was a proper old time Blue (born 1906) who’d seen Swift and Trautmann and he said that Swift should be remembered by City as highly as Trautmann was.

And said that Peter Doherty was as good as Colin Bell and also should be remembered and revered more by City.

He died in the early 70s. Shame I never met him, but I wasn’t born until ’82.

Not daft things those, just things that we are daft not to do. City pay next to no attention at all to old City (pre-Mercer/Allison). Programmes, memorabilia, City+, City’s YouTube etc. do absolutely nothing around old City.

Not my Dad but something my wife said today watching the post game analysis

Wife “Who’s that?”

Me “Micheal Owen”

Wife “Oh, never seen him as a grown up”

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.