Dale 'Buffin' Griffin ... RIP

MCFCTrick

Team supported
Citeh
Another of that generation checked out today. Buffin was drummer in legendary band, Mott The Hoople. (And a sought after producer in years after)

Saw him with Mott on their reunion gigs at Hammersmith Odeon in 2009 .... but he was too weak to play the whol e set, just doing a couple of tracks each night (Pretenders' Martin Chambers deputised) .... sad to see him so frail and weak back then ... RIP young/old dude ....

MTH were one of my favourite bands of the 70's but never got to see them. Had tickets but then they cancelled the tour and split.

The interesting story about them is that they weren't doing very well and were about to split. However Bowie heard them and persuaded them to stay together, offering them Suffragette City. They turned that down so he wrote All The Young Dudes specially for them and it all took off for them. Shows what a great guy Bowie was.

MTH were one of my favourite bands of the 70's but never got to see them. Had tickets but then they cancelled the tour and split.

The interesting story about them is that they weren't doing very well and were about to split. However Bowie heard them and persuaded them to stay together, offering them Suffragette City. They turned that down so he wrote All The Young Dudes specially for them and it all took off for them. Shows what a great guy Bowie was.
Indeed. I have sporadically played MTH tunes since the 70s.

Sadly, I think that we'll be seeing a lot of the 60s and 70s lot disappear soon. I think that we miss them all more because they were generally the great originators.

Another of that generation checked out today. Buffin was drummer in legendary band, Mott The Hoople. (And a sought after producer in years after)

Saw him with Mott on their reunion gigs at Hammersmith Odeon in 2009 .... but he was too weak to play the whol e set, just doing a couple of tracks each night (Pretenders' Martin Chambers deputised) .... sad to see him so frail and weak back then ... RIP young/old dude ....

I'm a major Hoople fan. Was delighted to finally see them a couple of times once at Hammy and later at the O2; wish I'd seen them in '70's, especially that tour with Queen as support act. Buffin was very frail so this passing is less of a surprise than some of the other recent ones.

R.I.P. Dude.

Not to go off topic but there's lots of stories emerging about what a good bloke Bowie was. First time I saw him was actually when he played keyboards for Iggy Pop, which, when word surfaced of what he was doing, ensured that the Apollo suddenly sold out.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.