Dame Kelly Holmes

Cant believe being gay in the forces was illegal till two thousand , shocking

There was a scandal in my Regt when I was serving and 21 soldiers were arrested for being gay and this was well before 2000. The rank and file generally treated them very well and thought they were very hard done by.

I hope they got their pay backdated from year dot if they are still alive.

There was a scandal in my Regt when I was serving and 21 soldiers were arrested for being gay and this was well before 2000. The rank and file generally treated them very well and thought they were very hard done by.

I hope they got their pay backdated from year dot if they are still alive.

Up until 1990 women were involuntary discharged from the military for being pregnant.
Both examples shocking of a modern forces , had to be kicking and screaming to change

Both examples shocking of a modern forces , had to be kicking and screaming to change
There are far fewer exemptions in law which are applicable to the military these days. There used to be quite a few H&S/Environmental protection exemptions, but even most of those have been phased out.

I thought she already came out a few years ago? I couldn't care less either way.

Not sure why in this day & age people have to "come out" as it's not really anyone else's business. If it helps her or other people then fair play.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.