Data backup at home

Thaksins Love Child

I'm after backing up all my photos and music from my laptop. Don't really want to have the ongoing cost of the cloud so looking at possibly doing it with 2 HDD's. I have a spare Raspberry Pi which you can apparently set-up to do RAID mirroring.

What do other people do?

I'm after backing up all my photos and music from my laptop. Don't really want to have the ongoing cost of the cloud so looking at possibly doing it with 2 HDD's. I have a spare Raspberry Pi which you can apparently set-up to do RAID mirroring.

What do other people do?

Disks are cheap these days, so get a couple and do daily backups. Keep one backup at your mum's (for example) and one at home and when you visit your mum, swap them over, i.e. leave the latest backup at your mum's and take the old backup home and then use one. That way you've always got 3 copies of your data - one on your laptop, an up-to-date backup at your house and a backup that's maybe one or two weeks out of date, at your Mum's.

If you just keep your laptop and backup at home, you are screwed if you get burgled.

Disks are cheap these days, so get a couple and do daily backups. Keep one backup at your mum's (for example) and one at home and when you visit your mum, swap them over, i.e. leave the latest backup at your mum's and take the old backup home and then use one. That way you've always got 3 copies of your data - one on your laptop, an up-to-date backup at your house and a backup that's maybe one or two weeks out of date, at your Mum's.

If you just keep your laptop and backup at home, you are screwed if you get burgled.
Yeah I know the burglary/flood type scenario is the main flaw. Good idea to keep one elsewhere as you say. RAID is prob too much for what I want to do.

Yeah I know the burglary/flood type scenario is the main flaw. Good idea to keep one elsewhere as you say. RAID is prob too much for what I want to do.

RAID - only necessary if you have constantly updating data and need secure backup up to the second. Other than that, just do daily (or hourly or whatever is appropriate) backups and keep 2 backups. The chances of getting 3 independent disk failures all at the same time are slim to nil.

I'm old school and just either use DVD media which holds 4 gig a time or sling it on my 4TB external hard drive. I'm just not keen on online storage but each to their own

I hate hard drives. Don't trust them not going wrong.

You can't beat physical DVD or CD's. I'm old school.

I hate hard drives. Don't trust them not going wrong.

You can't beat physical DVD or CD's. I'm old school.
They can still lose their data, especially if exposed to extremes of temperature by being kept in a loft or something.

I keep a backup on my servers and external hdd, most of my data is worth nothing though so i have raid0 on my system for speed.
Acronis is still a good option.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.